THR WalkagainV is walking again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Valarie you are doing brilliantly, that is a long old time to sit still without getting up and stretching!! It'll be good if the surgeon lets you drive and it will give you a big chunk of your life back again, bit by bit it's all getting back to normal. Loving the new photo by the way, you look great and no where near your age, amazing!! :)
 
walkagainV Wow Valarie your month of blood thinners has gone very quickly but mine dragged LOL I am sure it feels like forever for you too. It sounds like you are doing well but you may need pain killers for a bit longer if it means that you walk better or carry on with the cane instead as I know I felt more normal when I switched to over the counter pain killers instead of the nasty codeine. Well done to you I hope you will be given the go ahead to drive on Tuesday.
 
Well, I think I over did it a little over the weekend :( I woke up the early hours of this morning and my leg was killing me! Not just the hip area, but all over. I was also a lot more swollen. In fact, when the PT came out, she said I was too swollen to do anything and suggested I rest and ice today. The area around my incision is very hard and swollen... I'm assuming this is normal?

Anyway, I see my surgeon tomorrow, so hopefully all will be good. But, now I know what everyone talks about doing too much too soon. Ouch!
 
Not ...... really ....., least it's not supposed to be! Ever thought of nailing your feet to the floor? I understand it's a pretty good way of stopping yourself being too busy! :heehee: But I'm, sure you'll survive. Perhaps it would be a good idea if you read the hip recovery articles again - just for revision!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
Oh dear welcome to the club Valarie ! Most of us here make the same mistake at some point and the important thing is that we learn from it.I overdid things last weekend and was rewarded with groin pain which is improving but very, very slowly.Its very difficult when you start to feel a little better and the sun is shining, you feel you are capable of doing more than you really can. The mantra slow and steady comes to mind along with this is a marathon not a sprint What a shame I didn't follow them. Take care
 
Hi sandybeach... I just saw the surgeon this morning. He has released me to work on the 27th of May... exactly 6 weeks after surgery. I was hoping to start on the 20th, but I still have quite a bit of swelling. I spoke to my new employer this morning, and they are fine waiting an additional week. It won't be very physical at all.... I am going to be an Office Manager.
I see you've had both of yours done... how are you doing?

Valarie
 
Hello everyone!
I have a couple of questions... at what point do I stop using the toilet thingy? Also, I am doing great....walking mostly without the cane, I use it when I leave the house. But, I still have a huge amount of swelling around the incision site. I mean, its rock hard and feels like a brick. I still ice it several times a day, but its not making a difference. Any advice? The surgeon did not touch the swelling at my appointment, he just checked the incision.

Also, I'm disapointed that I still can't sleep in bed :( Its been since December 2011 since I've slept in bed because of the double mastectomy.... then my hip. I have tried the last couple of nights with a pillow between my legs, but my hip still hurts because of the swelling ( I sleep on the good hip side, but the new hip swelling still hurts).

I'm not really complaining, I know I am doing really well!!! Just need advice about the swelling. If its normal and the same for everyone... I'll deal with it :)

Thanks!
Valarie
 
Hi Valarie. I was given the official permission to quit using the toilet riser at six weeks. But I have to confess that with my second hip, I cheated....somewhere around 4-5 weeks. But given the swelling you're having, I wouldn't push it. When do you see your surgeon again?

The swelling. I'm pretty sure it's quite normal still....I didn't have much, but I also had very uneventful minimally-invasive surgery...whatever that actually means. But let's ask Josephine

Sharon
 
walkagainV Hi Valarie I have just caught up with your thread and so pleased that you are making progress overall I have read the information that I got from the hospital which stresses that swelling can persist up to 12 weeks. Josephine may have some tips on dealing with this apart from elevation and ice.My physio advised me to try lower seats from 6 weeks but to hang on to the toilet raiser for longer .I have tried using lower loo seats out of necessity when out but I still don't feel that safe so I will not send it back to Home Loans until I am 12 weeks.Take care and once again Congratulations on the new job.
 
walkagainV -- Congratulations on the job. I had my follow up with my OS yesterday and found out I am stuck with the toilet riser for the entire 12 weeks. If have learned anything from these forums is that there is not a one size fits all answer -- depends on you, the location of the incision and surgeons preference.

Also unless you will have a freezer at work, I recommend that you get a few chemical activated ice packs incase you need some relief while working. The Wal-Mart brand are pretty reasonable and the cold last about 30-45 minutes.
 
Thanks for all the information!! I really appreciate it!

sharonslp...I ask because I saw my surgeon on the 14th, but I do not have another appointment until august!! He didn't even touch my leg, even though I told him I was concerned about the very hard swelling. I am actually doing really well, the only pain is from the tightness of the swelling.

Kim22... so wonderful to hear from you! You were one of the first people I spoke to here. So glad you are doing well!

Kylesh... great idea about the chemically activated ice packs! I wouldn't have thought of that! I'm not sure if they have a freezer or not at work yet. Thank you!

Valarie
 
walkagainV, I'm sorry I haven't been back on your thread for a while. I'm a office manager too and I can sit when I need to and stand when I want to so if you can do the same it should work out good for you. I had my last surgery 3 days before you. I slept on my back or the other side at first and slowly made the transition onto the new hip, laying on it for maybe 20 minutes or less and built up. With the swelling you're having on that side I think I would wait though, you don't want to get things stirred up anymore than they are. Too bad your OS didn't suggest something. Are you able to call and speak with his nurse and let them know about the swelling going on? Is it warm to the touch? Is the area red? Are you able to sleep well at night?
 
He has released me to work on the 27th of May... exactly 6 weeks after surgery. It won't be very physical at all.... I am going to be an Office Manager.
If by that you mean it will be 'easier', don't you believe it! The Energy drain will march on regardless and often takes about 8-10 weeks to even start to abate. I hope you are having a Phased return to work as you will need it! And do read all of that article as there is much to be considered when returning to work after major surgery.

As for the swelling, yet another reason why the energy drain will make it tough for you. As long as there is swelling, you are still in the early stages of healing. Consequently you will feel totally trashed by the end of even a short day. I therefore also recommend that you do nothing at all on work days when you get home except rest. No exercises, no PT, no housework, nothing! And carry on doing that for at least three weeks!
 
walkagainV how are you, neighbor? Do you think we will see the sun anytime soon?it's 6:30 Wednesday and another gray day up here in Newport News. !, at least gardeners are happy (till we float away. ?.)
 
sandybeach... it sounds like you're doing great and don't have issues with swelling like me. So glad to hear you are doing so well!! No, the swelling isn't red or hot to the touch. But, I'm definitely not sleeping that well. Some nights I sleep great, but it's not every night.

Josephine... unfortunately, I have no choice but to go back to work. Its to the point that we've used all our savings from me being unemployed since January, and will not be able to pay the mortgage if I don't go back to work soon! But, I know what you say is true and will take your advice about doing nothing when I get home. I have no doubt I will still have issues with swelling and tiredness. Thank you once again for all the support you have give me... it means more than you know!

zauberflöte.... it's 11am on Friday and its raining very heavily outside today. How are you doing? Did you have your surgery on the 21st? I have only just noticed you had the anterior approach... how was that? I guess I will figure out how to find your thread. But, I hope you are doing extremely well!
 
walkagainV I don't have the swelling like you but I do get that occasional lump in my hip feeling, which means some swelling. I felt that this morning actually, I have been doing too much. I guess I am lucky that I haven't gone backwards in the recovery but then those first few weeks I really took it slow and took care of me. Now I'm doing more and maybe pressing my luck a little but my PT said to push the muscles so even though they're complaining I'm doing as much as I can, so far so good. I have the sleep issues every night, Littlejem suggested lavender to help sleep, I'm thinking about trying that. I sleep for a few hours and then I"m awake for a few hours.
 
walkagainV -- sorry that circumstances will not allow you more time off, especially since you are still having problems with swelling and sleep. I went back to work part time (4 hours a day) at six weeks at an office job and I am scheduled to return to full time next week, but the doctor prescribed six more weeks of PT. Not sure how I am going to work that schedule.

Not sure what your work environment will be like, but here are a few things I have encountered/learned. The icepacks I mentioned are a true life saver about mid-morning and since they are chemically activated, they do not get your clothes wet and are small enough to slip behind you or under you in your chain without much notice. Speaking of chairs, I had a difficult time find one I could use at work, my OS said no standard office chairs (swivel/rolling). He said the risk of accidently twisting is to great. I have the posterior approach restrictions. Elevating -- in a pinch, the standard office trash can is pretty effective, just make sure you lay your leg all the way across the top. When I use it my leg makes contact just below the knee and at the ankle. The hardest part (at least for me) was what to wear. I can not figure out how to put on stockings and find anything tight to be uncomfortable. Lets just say my office clothes do not look right without stockings. My solution is long skirt with flats, no stockings required. :)

Sorry for the length on this -- good luck.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom