THR WalkagainV is walking again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zauberflöte... thank you for your kind words and for caring! How are you coming along?

Kim22... I don't have an appointment with my OS until August. How are you doing these days?

Poppet... I really got lucky with my new job. I work for some great people who genuinely care!

Josephine... I take Motrin 800 3 times a day. And a 325MG Percoset whenever I need it, which is usually 1 at night before I go to bed.... sometimes, I will take one during the day, also. But, I took your advice when I went back to work and try to do nothing when I get home from work. My husband is the cook of the family, so he always takes care of that. I basically do some light PT at work so that I don't stiffen up sitting at my desk. Just some light walking or standing at my desk and stretching etc. Do you recommend doing some slow, easy walking on the treadmill?

I'm really not complaining at all... I'm extremely happy with the results. I literally feel like I have my life back :) Just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong and that I'm doing all I need to do.

Thank you all so much for caring... you are so wonderful!!!
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Valarie
 
my incision it feels like a big, hard brick
That's normal, just scarring from the incision deep in your hip. This takes a lot longer than 8 weeks to dissipate, more like 3-4 months. And it can hurt. So you need pain meds for it.
I take Motrin 800 3 times a day. And a 325MG Percoset whenever I need it, which is usually 1 at night before I go to bed.... sometimes, I will take one during the day, also
I can't believe how many times I say this - I must start keeping count! Ibuprofen (Motrin) really isn't a very good pain killer. Despite all the advertising, gram for gram it has about 40% the pain subduing effect of acetaminophen (Tylenol). So with your painful scar, you need something more than just ibuprofen! Taking an oxycodone/acetaminophen (Percocet) at night is not a bad idea but it needs a little enhancement like 2 regular strength Tylenol (325mg acetaminophen) which would be 975mg. You would also be better taking acetaminophen during the day instead of the ibuprofen but do make sure you don't exceed the 4,000mg per 24hrs.
But, I took your advice when I went back to work and try to do nothing when I get home from work.
Jolly good!
 
Josephine... thank you once again! Now I know there's nothing to be concerned about. I will also try the Tylenol. But, when I went for my 6 week check up with my OS, he said I should be coming off the pain meds... I only have a few left, so I don't think he'll give me anymore, so I've been using them only when I hurt more than usual. I'll give his office a call though and see what they say.
 
He's just talking about the oxycodone. You can keep on taking the acetaminophen for as long as you want or need to. It's over the counter stuff so in your hands completely.
 
walkagainV thanks for asking :) I'm doing very well, I think-- the "good" hip usually hurts worse than the op one... I don't care what anybody says, advil as an anti-inflammatory works really well on arthritis that i never knew I had till I gave up the advil!! And Celebrex just isn't picking up the slack. I get to give that up end of the week, then we shall see what to do. I walk, I do PT, I ice and elevate and read and play here, I do a little laundry, dishwasher, food prep, swiffer the cat hair, feed the cats, call my mom, you know. The little stuff... LOL :)
 
zauberflöte... I'm glad you're doing ok. It gets better everyday! I agree though... my "good" leg hurts more. My hip and knee are screaming. But, I need to lose about 20 lbs or so... I'm sure that would help things a lot!

You should make sure you're not doing too much... that sounds like an awful lot! It's early days yet for you.

Take care of yourself... rest and relax!!!
Valarie
 
walkagainV thanks Valarie! It may sound like a lot, but I'm mostly sitting, and often with my feet up and ice on. I have to move around some, right? So I may as well take a little walk to the washing machine and put those clothes in the dryer. And according to the Activity Progression (I seem to have parts of that memorized) I may fix my food all I care to!! The cats are unavoidable, and don't really take long anyway. Swiffering, if we study the action carefully, is simply a slow walk with poses between steps! I'm supposed to walk!:rotfl:
Re weight loss, yes I could stand to get rid of some too. Things hurt more if I'm carrying even a light load-- so I'm sure every pound lost is a gain in "pain-free living"! But all this eating I'm doing! I must be healing or something....
How's work going? Are you sufficiently air conditioned? My thermometer has said 100 out for a few hours-- I hope it's exaggerating:yikes: And at home-- can you rest up well? And sleeping-- are you? :)
 
walkagainV just checking up on you-- we're in the path of some gigundous thunderstorm here, 60mph winds and quarter-size hail! I got the cats in, so we're hunkered down and it looks calm out there just now :) You ok?
 
zauberflöte...I'm sorry I have not replied before now. As you probably know, I started a new job May 28th... my hours are 7am to 3:30pm. So when I get home, I'm exhausted :) But, I am loving the new job so I can't complain
The thunderstorms last week were incredible. Luckily, I made it home before it got bad.

Sleep? I'm not doing very well at that. :( I have slept in my recliner since the beginning of 2012 when I had a double mastectomy.... then when I recovered, my hip was really bad and hurt in bed. Now my hip is wonderful (apart from the enormous swelling), but I still can't sleep much in bed.

I hope you are doing well and recovering as you should be... thanks for checking on me!!

Take care,
Valarie
 
walkagainV haha there was really nothing I could DO for you, but checking up seemed good. I'm glad you made it home! Bottomshollow posted on my thread that her yard was a mess, big pine branches, all kinds of stuff down. She's in North Carolina, and must ahve gotten it way worse than I did (a no-show in my yard, thank goodness).
I still love that you're loving your job, and I'm sorry you're not sleeping well, still. Maybe when the swelling goes down you will be able to try the bed again. I tried just gently lying on the op side the other night in bed.....not gonna happen this month!:shocked:
 
Well, I was doing so well. The only issue I had was a very hard swelling over the incision which hasn't gone down...and is very painful to sleep on.

Then, last week, I tripped over something in the warehouse at work and fell pretty hard! Badly bruised both palms of my hands, cut my left ankle, cut my left knee. Then, the next day I had even more pain and swelling over the incision.

I don't think I hurt my new hip... I'm walking ok now, but my hip is more swollen than ever. Thank goodness, I have a surgical follow-up appt. with my surgeon tomorrow. Really concerned about this really hard swelling that's not going away.

Any comments? Anyone have bad swelling for months? (I had my surgery April 15th)

Valarie
 
I am sorry to hear about your fall. :console2: That is what we all dread isn't it. But looks like you didn't do any serious damage. That is sure something to be thankful for. In terms of the hard swelling, let us know what your doctor says tomorrow. I had a similar thing after breast surgery when I had a large lump removed (benign thankfully). The scar was four inches long as it was deep against my chest wall and the doctor said the hard lump was scar tissue and it would eventually soften. He was correct but it took awhile....not sure, maybe 8 months?
Keep in touch!
 
Sorry about your fall, always a bit scary... Go back to the mantra, rest, elevate, ice and repeat....

Good that you have an apt with your OS and can get an answer about the "hard swelling" over your incision.. Do keep us updated :)
 
I think you're going to hear from your surgeon that the "hard tissue" you have is nothing to worry about and it will resolve itself with some time. I know it must seem like you're a long ways out from your surgery, but since it was April 15th, that's just slightly over 3 months....not really all that long. There is still healing and adjusting going on inside and it will be that way for a while longer. So glad you were not hurt too badly in the fall. They can be a danger for anyone!
 
So sorry to hear about your fall, it must have been quite frightening to have that happen this early on. Let us know what the surgeon says. I hope the rest of your injuries heal up quickly.
 
walkagainV Valarie, you're not supposed to be tripping over stuff, you're supposed to have your radar and sonar enabled! I'm sorry you fell, and i hope your bruises and cuts heal up quickly!
I had soft swelling right over the incision/scar for many weeks, maybe 6-7-8?, but/and I had a hard spot perhaps similar to what you have in my lower lip owing to a weird bike accident-- the scar tissue was hard for a couple of years, and palpable for many years after that. It's good for your peace of mind that you're seeing your OS now-- keep us posted!
PS haven't the past couple of days been just gorgeous?!!! My neighbor keeps saying "gotta go to the beach" and i think of you :)
 
Well, the good news is my new hip is still perfect!! But, the OS ordered X-Rays just to be sure. I am walking perfectly, so I knew I hadn't done any damage there. :)
The bad news...he said my swelling was not normal this far out. I know people say they have swelling for a long time, but mine has not gone down very much and looks like and elbow sticking out of my thigh... very hard and painful. Took my temp in case I had an infection...97.1... normal! So, he ordered blood tests and I have a follow-up appointment on Friday for the results.

To be honest, I'm still very happy even if I had to put up with this pain and swelling for the rest of my life! It just means I can't wear jeans or pants :sad: but, I can walk normally. My quality of life is amazing compared to before the surgery.

Goody2Shoes3 - I had to have a double mastectomy, but had lots of lumps removed before that...so glad yours was benign!!. So, I know about scar tissue.

Poppet - It was a good excuse not to do any housework at the weekend :) I rested and iced and it did help! Thank you!

Jamie - I just turned 51, and the day I fell, I went home and there was an AARP card in the mail :( I haven't fallen in years and it scared me because of my hip. It was also embarrassing... the warehouse was full of guys :blush:

octopus - My leg has a couple of pretty bad cuts and is black and blue, but I consider myself lucky. They will heal... getting over the embarrassment might take a little longer :)

zauberflöte - Not sure if I told you, but I went to Sandbridge with my daughter and walked on the beach :) It was wonderful!! I have had a terrible limp and awful pain for a year or two before surgery, so I missed the beach. The weather has been incredible!! How are you doing? Recovering well?

Thanks everyone... take care!
Valarie
 
[Bonesmart.org] WalkagainV is walking again :)
​
 
walkagainV that's so scary about the fall, that is what nightmares are made of. I'm glad you didn't do any damage to your hip. You will need to post what the swelling is about that's going on in your incision. You said you can't wear pants because of it? It must be pretty bad. If your doctor can't find anything in the x-rays, I wonder if tissue massage would help get rid of that for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom