THR WalkagainV is walking again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Valarie I wish you loads of luck to get the job, let's hope he see through 'the lady with the cane' and sees the best person for the job!! I only used a walker for 2 days and came home from hospital with 2 canes, very quickly went down to one that I ended up carrying but not actually using, so by 4 weeks, unless I was walking far or in amongst lots of people, I didn't use anything but as we always say we are all different and you must do what is right for you. Yes you're right we are survivors, I think breast cancer does that to you, it's a sink or swim/fight or flight, situation! Let us know more about the job interview, I hope your confidence increases over this week so you sail through it!! Janet x
 
Valerie good luck with your interview, fingers crossed and hope you get it. Can't help with the walker as I never used one, but if it hurts, wait a while then try again. You'll get there in the end. Xxx
 
Well, the interview went well on Friday and I walked quite well using the cane! In fact, I just received an offer for the job!!!:happydance: So relieved!! It was a great offer and it was the job I most wanted. So, I am very happy right now. The one stumbling block is the start date. I have my OS appt. on the 14th, so I should know more then. I want to start as soon as possible, but I don't want to hurt my recovery in any way.

But, my recovery is going really well. I can even walk a little without the cane, but I start walking with a wobble from side to side when I get tired. So, still working on those muscles.

I am still taking the Percoset to go to bed - sometimes my knees and shins ache at night, and take it about once a day to do PT. The surgery was 3 weeks today... should I be off it by now?

I hope you all are recovering and relaxing!!

Valarie
 
walkagainV Valerie, try putting a pillow just above the ankles that is what I do and no more sore ankles. As far as your Percoset it think it depends on you and your pain. I had my surgery April 11th and from that date my pain level was and remains at zero. I also for the last 1½ weeks have cut down my dosage. I started with 6 down to 3 a day. In a few days I'll cut down another one then I feell I'll be able to drive short distances. Good luck with the new job and congrats!
 
Yey new job, well done, I hope you get sorted a start date that suits you and them. :happydance:
Sorry I can't help with your pain meds as I still need painkillers for my second hip.
 
walkagainV Valarie that is wonderful news that you got the job. Well done ! With regards to pain killers we are all different but if you still have pain then you still need them My physio told me that the last ones to give up are the ones at night. Congratulations on the job but take on board that you have just had major surgery so try and allow yourself some recovery time x
 
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all your support!

One more question.... is it normal to have sore knees? Maybe because my gait has changed?

Thank you!!
 
Congrats on the job walkagainV! I hope you enjoy it. I think it is so important to enjoy your work. I love mine and am really missing it (not long now).
After my surgery my knees hurt a lot more than my hip!! They had some rough treatment during the op. I used a lot of ice on them, and I'm still taking anti-inflammatories. They still hurt a bit but I suspect they will need replacing at some point.
 
Thanks Allycat... what do you do for a living?

My PT was massaging around my incision today... I have a big soft ball size of I'm guessing scar tissue. It hurts a lot to touch. I'm assuming that's normal?
 
I work in the classroom of a special school. Teacher's Aide at the moment, studying Bachelor of Teaching.
 
Walkagain, as you go through the healing process, it's common for all kinds of aches and pains to show up. Yes, your gait is changing once again, this time to your new normal. (By the way, it's also quite common to need new shoes at this point. The wear patterns on your old shoes may work against you as you establish a correct walking gait. I had shin pains until I got new shoes) Also, there was a great deal of disturbance of muscles, tendons, ligaments, and all kinds of soft tissue....these will be complaining as they heal. The initial pain of surgery will gradually shift to different kinds of pain...you may experience stiffness, aching, tightness, and so on. All normal, and it can go on for well over a year. So don't be alarmed.

You are VERY early out yet, so don't rush to quit pain meds just yet. I found that when I cut my heavy-duty meds to just nighttime, I had to supplement with tylenol and later with celebrex for a good long time. Going back to work (congrats on job offer) is a huge energy drain....don't compound it with having a pain drain as well. Jo often recommends tylenol and ibuprofen together as an extremely effective pain protocol.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/medications-tylenol-ibuprofen-cocktail.12217/

And yes, if your PT is massaging your incision, of course it's quite tender and sore. I'm truly wondering if it's even a good idea to manipulate the area so soon. Jo has said that hips don't form scar tissue/adhesions like other surgeries do. Let's get her take on this. Josephine

Sharon
 
The surgery was 3 weeks today... should I be off it by now?
There's no 'shoulds' or 'oughts' about it. If you have pain, take them. If you are finding it getting longer and longer between doses, then it probably shows you can start slowly reducing them. But never stop suddenly as your pain doesn't stop suddenly! It just slowly reduces and fades away. You have to keep track do likewise with the pills. When you are getting to a stage where you're only taking it once or twice a day, you could probably substitute it for this Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail. But 3 weeks is far too soon to be stopping them. Maybe in 3 or 4weeks perhaps. See how it goes.
is it normal to have sore knees? Maybe because my gait has changed?
Absolutely!
My PT was massaging around my incision today... I have a big soft ball size of I'm guessing scar tissue. It hurts a lot to touch. I'm assuming that's normal?
What is it with US PTs that they have this obsession about 'scar tissue'! Of course you're going to have scar tissue - a surgeon's just sliced you open with a scalpel! But that doesn't make it a problem. It's perfectly normal healing of the wound and needs to happen on its own! It doesn't need any help, no massage, no lotions, potions or creams. The human body is perfectly designed to do all that on its own! That soft ball you have is where all the muscles, ligaments and fat are healing and with that and the accompanying swelling, of course it will make a pad. But leave it alone and in a few months, the swelling will go down, the scarring shrink down and the area will become soft and pliable just like it was originally before Mr Hatchetman saw to it with a No 22 scalpel blade!

Another misnomer is that 'scar tissue' inevitably means trouble. This is also wrong. They are getting scarring confused with adhesions which where structures stick together so the leg cannot function properly and that is a whole other thing. It's also wrong because hips almost never get adhesions. The whole area of your hip is huge and far too big for things to get tethered down to the extent that it will interfere with functionality. Left well alone, hips have a very neat way of sorting themselves perfectly well in the end. So I strongly suggest you tell your over-enthusiastic PT thanks but you are finding the aftermath of her massage too painful and don't want it any more. You will be much better without it. It's far too early to be doing that kind of thing anyway.
 
Welcome to the good side. Fingers crossed for your job interview--if the employer already knows your situation, it shouldn't matter that you can't walk without help yet. Maybe use the walker to the door and then, if you can, the cane. You won't believe how much better life will be in a few weeks.:yes!:
 
Giraffe44... I received a great offer on Monday from the interview. I used a cane and did very well. They are willing to wait another 3 or so weeks for me. :)

Life is already so much better than before the surgery. I see its about 6 months since you had yours.... how does it feel now?
 
Josephine that you for all the information. I certainly won't be letting them "massage" my thigh anymore. I had quite a bit of pain last night because of it. And I've been absolutely wiped out today... slept most of the day. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

But, I am so grateful for all the support and information you give. You are an angel :angel:
 
walkagainV oh Valarie, what a fabulous day you must have had, getting that job offer!!!!!!! And they can wait a few weeks-- they sound like they will be good to work for. Let us know who they are, and I will try to take some of my business there for you :)
 
Giraffe44... I received a great offer on Monday from the interview. I used a cane and did very well. They are willing to wait another 3 or so weeks for me
. :)
Life is already so much better than before the surgery. I see its about 6 months since you had yours.... how does it feel now?

Oh, three cheers. You must feel such a sense of relief now that you have the job offer. Now you can concentrate on your recovery.

It feels like having a new life. I walked all around Disney's Animal Kingdom yesterday for about 3 hours. I was tired but had no pain, none. You just want to do things again, so hang in there. :happydance:
 
Happy Mother's Day to everyone!
I went out to the movies yesterday... first real outing since the surgery. It went pretty well. although, I went to see The Great Gatsby and it was 2 hours and 40 minutes long, so I was quite stiff getting out of my seat at the end of the movie.

I am walking really well without a cane when I take pain meds. But, I have a little waddle otherwise. PT will be ending next week for me (Insurance only paid for 12 session) but, I'm ok with that... I can do them myself. I should also be coming off the blood thinners on Tuesday, so I can start taking Aleve instead of the Percoset... hopefully!!

I have my post-surgical appointment on Tuesday and hoping that the surgeon releases me to drive.

I wish you all a day of rest, relaxation and recovery!!

Valarie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom