THR WalkagainV is walking again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
walkagainV & sandybeach I'd heard that lavender was good to relax you at bedtime and I had a 'night time' lavender pillow spray, but Poppet suggested getting a good quality lavender oil and try a few drops on the pillow which I think I'll get before my second surgery. Another thing you could try is Bachs, night rescue remedy, which is a blend of flowers, that come in either a dropper bottle, or a spray, which you put on your tongue, again it's purpose is to relax you. I don't tend to have a problem dropping off to sleep but sometimes I wake in the night and struggle to get back to sleep, especially if my other half is merrily snoring next to me!! :shrug:
Good luck finding something that helps you :what:
I went back to work at 4 weeks but only for a couple of very short days and gradually built it up to full time but I've now decided to just do 4 day weeks until my next surgery in 3 weeks.
 
Littlejem, I think it's a good idea to take it easy before your next surgery, you don't want to get yourself ran down. Between my surgeries I went back to work part-time for two weeks and I really didn't feel like being there. I was tired and I had so much on my mind with just having had one surgery and going in for my next....kind of what you're going through now.
 
Bach flower remedies are dilutions of flower material developed by Edward Bach, an English bacteriologist, pathologist and homeopath, in the 1930s. Bach believed that dew found on flower petals retain healing properties of that plant.

I use the Rescue Remedy in my water bottle.

broken link removed: https://www.bachcentre.com/centre/remedies.htm

Littlejem
 
Poppet Yes it's good stuff, I found them when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, regularly used white chestnut!!
 
Yes, when I was studying my natural medicine and specifically homeopathic remedies, I was taught when prescribing Bach remedies to start by treating the immediate emotion first with the appropriate remedy. Then like peeling an onion, a different emotion would arise, treat that.. Eventually a practitioner gets to the core of the patients problem :)
 
Poppet, homeopathic remedies are used more widely in other countries than here in the US. Here we have what is called Western medicine and many people go with that. I have gone to homeopathic practitioners and they have done healing where doctors couldn't. They have used that same explanation of the peeling of an onion. How long have you practiced? Do you know anything about infused remedies?
 
Poppet, homeopathic remedies are used more widely in other countries than here in the US. Here we have what is called Western medicine and many people go with that. I have gone to homeopathic practitioners and they have done healing where doctors couldn't. They have used that same explanation of the peeling of an onion. How long have you practiced? Do you know anything about infused remedies?

I have been a fully qualified registered natural medicine practitioner for 16 years, having studied many modalities for many years but also have a nursing background.

By infused remedies, do you mean herbal tinctures or herbal extracts? sandybeach
 
Well, I made it through my first week of work!! Tuesday and Wednesday were rough though... I was hurting and tired. I ended up calling the surgeons office and asking for low dose Percoset and Motrin 800's... I also went back to the recliner to sleep instead of trying to sleep in bed and on Thursday I felt much better!!!

I guess I came off all medications too quickly, although I thought I was ready. We also bought a new bed which is so much better than our old bed, but I still can't sleep comfortably on my non-operated side with a pillow between my legs... 4 hours is all I can manage. I still have lots of swelling... wondering how long that's going to last? It's 7 weeks tomorrow since the surgery.

But, I am still thrilled to be able to walk normally. I know that the swelling will go away and I'll be sleeping all night in my bed in no time!!

How is everyone doing?

I wish you all rest and relaxation!
Valarie
 
walkagainV -- (Valarie) I am glad that you successfully made it through your first week of work and at a new job to boot. I am glad that the surgeons office was able to give you something to help with the pain that you can take and still function. From everything I have read, it can take a while for the swelling to subside. I still get some minor swelling if I am on my feet a lot.

Have a great Sunday......
 
Hey Valarie! walkagainV You sound terrific :) I'm glad you figured out what you needed to do to make the rest of the week better; I'm SUPER glad that this new job went well last week!
There seems to be a rash of new bed buying here on this forum.... gonna make us think the beds gave us arthureyetis!!
Keep on updating us :)
 
walkagainV Hi Valarie lovely to hear from you and I am so impressed that you have made it through your first week in a new job.Great news that you are walking so well so soon after your surgery. It's hardly surprising that you still need pain killers ( you and me both ) after what you have managed to do. Well done and keep us up to date with your progress.
 
Kim22 and zauberflöte... how do I easily find your posts so that I can catch up on how you are doing? There must be an easier way that going through pages and pages of threads looking for yours.

Thank you for always stopping by and for caring... it means a lot!

Valarie
 
walkagainV for me, anyway, if you see in my signature where it says "ZF's magic recovery Thread"--? just click on that and it should take you to my thread. maybe not the right page, but at least the right thread! And for anyone at all-- if you click on their highlighted screen name, it will take you to a page which has several tabs across it. Click on "information" and then select "see all threads by whoever", and then you can choose which thread you want. Good luck! :)
 
walkagainV Hi Valarei How I do it is by clicking onto the persons avatar and in the black box is the word follow if you click on this you will receive E mails to alert you that the member has posted or liked something or replied to you I hope that is correct as I am no expert with computer.
 
Hello everyone... I need your advice!! So, on Monday it will be 2 months since surgery! I feel fantastic and have to pinch myself everyday that I can walk normally and don't have that awful pain anymore!!:happydance: I really am so happy!

However, I still can't sleep in bed. My operated side is still quite swollen. In fact, when I'm laying on my non-operated side with a pillow between my knees, and I put my hand over my incision it feels like a big, hard brick... it almost feels like bone, but I know its not. I ice it several times a day!! When I mentioned it to my OS, he did not seem concerned at all. Even when sleeping on my good side, it starts to hurt after a while and I have to go downstairs on the recliner to get any sleep. I am back to work... started a new job on May 28th, and they are fantastic! I can sit, stand, walk, ice whenever I need to. Last weekend I took it really easy and rested and iced almost the whole weekend. As I'm sitting in my chair right now, it feels like I'm sitting on a big lump.

I've looked all over this site and can't see anyone that has this much swelling at this stage... is it normal for some? If so, no problem!

Josephine... my Bonesmart angel :angel: any advice?

Thank you all!! Hope you are all doing wonderfully!!

Valarie
 
walkagainV hey Valarie! Gosh, I don't know. You are describing my incision exactly, except mine's on the front and I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out. I iced it 20-22 hours a day for 2 weeks and it hasn't changed the size or hardness of the swelling that I can tell. But it doesn't hurt-- I'm sure because I don't have to sit on it!!!!
I did read somewhere somebody saying they felt they were sitting on a melon, or a baseball, or whatever it was. Don't remember who or where or even when it was posted, sigh, and sorry... It was explained as simple normal swelling, not to worry.
I also believe I've read that anything that's normal for you is normal for you. We are not to compare our hip to anyone else's. All that to say, I don't have a clue!:whistle:
Your job sounds perfect, and maybe one reason why you feel so good in general! :)
I can't believe that about 3 months ago you were being thrown out of the prep room..... you are a shining example for people who have roadblocks and hurdles to get over.....
 
walkagainV Hi Valarie Its really good news how well you are doing with your hip and your new hip but what a shame about the swelling.I hope you get some good advice from Josephine.Do you have another appointment with your OS ?
 
walkagainV, I am almost 19 months and still have slight swelling... For some folks it can take anywhere between weeks to months for the swelling to reduce :)

Your job sounds wonderful.
 
Yep, they said it right! However, I am still going to ask you some questions!

1. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
2. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
3. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom