THR VSlowLife's Recovery Thread

I hope your day went better than the night. Try to nap as much as you can. Maybe too early to cut back on pain pills. Wishing you a more peaceful night tonight. :sleep::console2:
 
1/4 pain pill was not working for sure.
I took my full dose of pain pills and paracetamol before I went to bed religiously (even phased out pain pills by just taking them at night toward the end). Sleep is precious for healing and luckily I managed ok, but I'm a good sleeper. Even if you're cutting down, don't skimp on the nighty night help. :sleep::sleep::sleep:
 
Yes, I have been doing that today. May take a third nap.

Try to nap as much as you can.

Also, some lovely green phlegm came up, just a bit, and now PT caught me clearing my throat a few times. Called hospital RN who told me to call my local doctor. I did that, so I will wait and see what she thinks.

Meanwhile plenty of soup and fluids.

Maybe too early to cut back on pain pills.

Good possibility, so I went back up and will try to wean off slower. They only gave me 30 pills, so I figured it was time to start cutting back. :shrug: They will give me more if I need them.

We are hear for you.
Thank you! Hopefully I will sleep better tonight.

I did the stairs to the basement with PT today and that felt very good. Super icing now.
 
Good possibility, so I went back up and will try to wean off slower. They only gave me 30 pills, so I figured it was time to start cutting back. :shrug: They will give me more if I need them.

Doesn't that suck? I was given enough for 4 days worth at max dose and encouraged to start cutting down as soon as possible, they also included warnings about losing or not securing the meds.

I understand that there are some people that shouldn't be given a weeks worth of pain meds. However, I don't think that should apply to everyone as a blanket policy, especially to surgical patients who the doctors know will have significant pain. 100% percent of surgical patients have to have these kind of restrictions because of the actions of a small percent of the population.

Stepping down from the soapbox :hairpulling:
 
I'd say every state and some drug store chains are different. My OS prescribed more but I was given 1 weeks worth and would have to get my OS to order a refill. I was good with it and I didn't need a refill.
On the other hand, it's not funny, I can go across the street or to the shopping center parking lot and buy all I want with no prescription. That's why it's gotten so tight. Also some people I knew who aren't among us any longer.
 
You were lucky to get a week’s worth.

So sorry you can walk across a street and buy it. :sad:
 
When I was recovering, There were strict protocols regarding refills including hand written prescriptions only for one week at a time but I received the refills when I contacted my OS and the one time that I did have a hold up with insurance balking, I paid cash (under 20 dollars)
Yes there is abuse, but I took mine for well over a month and had no issues.
Pain meds after major surgery should not be hard to get because of some patients and doctors.
 
Happy One Week Anniversary!
I don't know about you but I loved watching those early weeks pass by. I often wished I could project myself ahead a couple weeks during those first few weeks back home. But as you're quickly realizing, the more you're able to do and feel confident in doing so, the easier it is to live in the moment. One weeks time, early on, can make a big difference in mood, flexabilty, strength, mobility etc. You're on your way! :walking:I hope today is a good one.:)
@VSlowLife
 
Happy One Week Anniversary!
Thank you! Walking is getting smoother. Still painful and need medication, but not as bad as a week ago. My movement is much more fluid and I have less swelling for sure, but it is not all gone.

My incision is twice as large as I was hoping for, so I look forward to finding out why my OS needed to extend it. Maybe he needed to band part of my femur? He went on vacation after my surgery.

It is nice and neat with no drainage, so I am very happy about that.:happydance:

:fingersx: Found some Mucinex last night and no phlegm this morning!

PT explained dual mobility universal precautions much better yesterday, and I can do more than a golfer’s reach if needed. :) :-) (:
 
Wishing you many naps today and a good night sleep. Sounds like you are right on track with progress in walking smoothly. Use the pain meds as needed to get through the early stages - time to wean when all is improved. Doing stairs is great - more accomplishments to mark down and celebrate. :egypdance::cheers2::flwrysmile:
 
Sounds like you are right on track with progress in walking smoothly.
Yes I definitely feel on track! I try to follow the Bonesmart activity guidelines to avoid the ODIC.

I followed @Calgal advice and used whole pain pills to sleep better and it worked so well, I found out what it was like to walk without any pain:yahoo:

Progress is definitely happening.

more accomplishments to mark down and celebrate. :egypdance::cheers2::flwrysmile:

Absolutely!
 
Oh, this is so good to hear! It’s so encouraging when you’re finally able to see your progress. It always reminds me of wheels getting stuck in mud and finally starting to roll free. Keep on rolling! :yes!: Have a peaceful weekend. ❤️ Pat.
 
After my first THR at my 2 week checkup I asked my OS if I could see his hands. He didn't know what I meant but he held them out for me to see, I guess he thought I wanted to see his magic fingers. I told him I wanted to see how big they were and why he needed such a big hole to work in.
 
I love this!

After my first THR at my 2 week checkup I asked my OS if I could see his hands. He didn't know what I meant but he held them out for me to see, I guess he thought I wanted to see his magic fingers. I told him I wanted to see how big they were and why he needed such a big hole to work in.
 
Happy, Happy One Week Anniversary @VSlowLife! You seem to be doing well, going with the flow, nice and easy. Definitely stay ahead of that pain so you can continue to move around and get good sleep, all needed for recovery. :egypdance:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom