THR VSlowLife's Recovery Thread

@VSlowLife
Your progress has been steady and wonderful to follow.
Your pre-surgery planning was expert and thorough.
I hope your extended recovery is doing well.
You were so expert at pre-planning and had an excellent recovery. Your thread is truly helpful to others. Keep posting every now and then as I'm not the only one who enjoys and learns from you.
The pandemic is quite frightening. I hope you have been safe and continue to be.
Best wishes,
marieltha
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all! Thank you for your wonderful thoughts, wishes, advice, and encouragement. Very much appreciated. Sorry I have been absent. I need to start catching up.

I am grieving the loss of my beloved aunt. She survived the Spanish Flu pandemic, but not this pandemic. She was still fun to visit at 103. I was the last one to see her. She was in a nursing home. Then sent to the hospital. I now worry about my mom. My son had it and he survived. It was not pleasant.

I have to say I like telemedicine. I saw my OS for the first time after surgery. He is in NYC. He showed me my post op x-ray. From my neophyte knowledge, it looked very well placed. I thought I would be grossed out, but surprisingly, I was intrigued by it.

I am around the three and a half month mark. The “boing” sensation on the side of the new hip has gradually subsided. That makes me feel more confident it is healing well. The pain going into my right side of my lower leg is gone. I figured that was from the lengthening, of just 1 mm.

My left hip pain is now more definable, with the right replaced. My surgeon wants me to wait for that one. He showed me the difference between when it first started bothering me some years ago, and the most recent x-ray. It limits me, while the right leg is now the happier hip.

I have the same glute muscle, pain/spasm (?) I had before surgery, after surgery. I had hoped that would leave me after surgery. It is more on the inside of the thigh. Maybe in time? Maybe with a real PT person evaluating it?

I am walking well, and if I start to walk with a limp, I slow down and do “heel toe, heel toe,” as advised here on Bonesmart. Then I know I have walked too much, for me. I can go off balance on my right side, which means I still need to build up muscles. I manage to catch myself.

My OS enrolled me in an app to do home videos for PT until it is safe to go to my local hospital, for PT.

I can get down to the floor holding onto things, and I have learned to carefully get up, holding onto things. I have learned if I manage to get down without assistance, I certainly can’t get up, and need to crawl over to a support.

I can go up and down the stairs to the basement, but not too much or I am very sorry, I did. I am having what is the typical post surgical fatigue described by others.

My sock aid split, and I was able to safely get a sock on just the toes, enough to stay on, with my dual mobility cup hip, by angling my ankle to point my toes up and slightly bend forward. Then I put my leg behind me and bend my knee to grab the sock to bring it up further, without angling my knee to the inside. I am not allowed to toe in, or do a pizza pie wedge, ever. Good bye to sandals with a strap on the outside. Although my surgeon said it would take a lot to dislocate, that way, he does not want me to learn to toe in or knee in.

My incision is healing like a straight line. Any thickness under the skin is mostly gone. There is not much showing if I were to wear a bathing suit, because it was the northern approach. Who knew? Well we are not allowed to swim at the beaches yet, and I could lose a few pounds anyway.

Be safe everyone.
 
Hello @VSlowLife
I’m sorry to read about the loss of your beloved aunt. Thankfully your son has returned to health, I’m sure it was worrisome watching him struggle through the virus. Hopefully your mom stays safe and well.

It seems your recovery is progressing nicely. May it only get better and better.
A great week to you! :)
 
Hello. I’m so sorry for your loss and upset to your life that Covid-19 has caused. It sounds like you are progressing on schedule. I still am stiff getting up and down. I also find it easier to bring my foot up behind me to take off my sock or wash my foot. Lingering stiffness and discomfort from that long limited exercise ability prior to surgery. Hopefully it will improve for you as time passes like it has for me. It does just take time. Just keep doing what you’re doing and be amazed at how your body heals. Keep us posted. ❤️
 
So glad to read your post and I am very glad that you are staying healthy. My condolences on the loss of your aunt. She sounds like she was quite a character. I am thankful your son has recovered and hopefully is doing well now.

You sound like your recovery is progressing well. I actually don't get down on the floor since I hate to kneel on my replaced knees even though I can but it feels funny. I end up doing a lot of deep squats when I need something or forward bends now that I don't have any restrictions. I, too, have to remind myself when tired not to waddle but otherwise walking is great.

I do not know if you noticed but there is now a Covid-19 section on bonesmart to share coping actions as well as information. Take care.
 
I’m sorry to read about the loss of your beloved aunt. Thankfully your son has returned to health, I’m sure it was worrisome watching him struggle through the virus. Hopefully your mom stays safe and well.

It seems your recovery is progressing nicely. May it only get better and better.
A great week to you! :)

Thank you Layla. Yes, I am happy with my recovery. Can't wait until the other hip can be done.
 
Hello. I’m so sorry for your loss and upset to your life that Covid-19 has caused. It sounds like you are progressing on schedule. I still am stiff getting up and down. I also find it easier to bring my foot up behind me to take off my sock or wash my foot. Lingering stiffness and discomfort from that long limited exercise ability prior to surgery. Hopefully it will improve for you as time passes like it has for me. It does just take time. Just keep doing what you’re doing and be amazed at how your body heals.
Thank you Hip4Life. Much appreciated.
It's good to hear your one year plus, update on how you are doing. I agree with you about the long limited exercise ability before surgery, affecting after surgery progress.
 
So glad to read your post and I am very glad that you are staying healthy. My condolences on the loss of your aunt. She sounds like she was quite a character. I am thankful your son has recovered and hopefully is doing well now.

You sound like your recovery is progressing well. I actually don't get down on the floor since I hate to kneel on my replaced knees even though I can but it feels funny. I end up doing a lot of deep squats when I need something or forward bends now that I don't have any restrictions. I, too, have to remind myself when tired not to waddle but otherwise walking is great.

Thank you Leejaa. Much appreciated. She was a character. On her 100th birthday she surprised us with a hat with flowers all around it for her special pictures, and she wore it every year after that, too. My son is thankfully back to normal. He was very lucky.

I am very happy with my recovery. When I am surrounded by exercise mats, I work on learning to get up without leaning on a support. I am glad you have ways to work around kneeling.

Stay safe.
 
Hi @VSlowLife
So sorry for all the extra stress and also so sorry for you loss.
This turned out to be a really tough year so far for so many.
Lots of improvements yet to come, so keep the faith and hang in there ...
:praying:
 
Oops, had this in the wrong.
 
@VSlowLife so sorry to hear of your aunt's passing. Sounds like you have many good memories to remember her by.

Sounds like you're doing pretty good with recovery, keep up the good work.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom