Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sending you hugs. :friends:
Vicki, somehow I have an impression of you that you have a lot of inner strength...and that will help you get through this.
 
((( :console2: ))))
Hope you are doing better today!
 
Trying to get things in order for round 2. I have much to do at work and home, really don't feel like doing any of it. Surgery scheduled for Right patellar tendon repair on Weds. It is my understanding that I will be wearing an immobilizer, using crutches or wheel chair. Sound like going to be more difficult recovery than TKR. Guess I will just have to wait and see. I just wish it was over. If anyone has any advice or info about dealing with immobilizer please let me know. I am concerned about sleeping and bathroom. Thinking both will be an issue.
 
Vicki,

Sonja, Rest Assured, has just been using an immobilizer and she may be able to give you some advice. Sorry I am not sure how to tag someone, so hopefully someone else will see this and be able to do it for you.
 
Hi Vicki!

I had my immobilizer for several weeks and that was when I was running around the nurses station on crutches!:heehee:
I used a wheelchair also, and my upper body has been built up by my Personal Trainer. I was as fast in the wheel chair as I was on crutches! LOL..... I say it's all in the perspective, make the best of it!:heehee:
Oh the bathroom is not an issue, it doesn't go that high, and you learn how to kick your leg straight out! The doctor told me I did not have to wear mine when I was in bed, so maybe you will get lucky and hear the same thing! Otherwise, you can use it to make life easier. It has all of these neat straps that you can grab on to, and you can move that darned knee anywhere you want!:happydance:
Actually the recovery isn't any more difficult, just cumbersome!:friends:
 
I agree, if you think it is going to be bad, it will be.

I am not sure what to expect. With TKR I was somewhat prepared after reading all the posts. However when I drove myself to OS last visit thought he was going to tell me how well I was doing then the news of another surgery. In a way it is a relief to know something is up with my knee and knowing it can be so much better. I just thought I had a week quad. Here I am with kneecap halfway up my leg and my shinbone is not connected to anything.
I think I have been reading too much about patellar tendon tear. Most have this injury are sports figures and are trying to get back to professional sports. I just want to get my life back.
 
Hi Vicki, I'm really sorry you have to go through another surgery. It stinks, but now you know what's wrong and know it can be fixed. You will have your life back, it may just take a little longer then you had planned.
 
Vicki,

It will take time and it won't be easy, but you can do it! It has taken 11 weeks for the muscle on the side of the knee to acknowledge it actually belongs to my body! Well now that it acknowledges it, comes the part of rehabbing to the point it will take its share of the load off the kneecap! So Vicki, keep in touch, and remember that we will always be here for you. :friends:
 
That's a shame. I would think that the torn Achilles tendon was something that you were always destined to get, TKR or no. What happens is that the tendon may either be partially torn or completely. Either way, the surgeon may simply be able to stitch the two ends together. Depending upon how easy or difficult this is to do, the leg can either be put in a cast with the toe pointing down - as per image - or, if the repair is more secure, an immobiliser might be used instead. However, if a cast is used, it will likely be exchanged for an immobiliser after a few weeks.

[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12 [Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

It should be remembered that Achilles tendons usually tear because the condition of ligament tissue has become impaired in some way, weakened in other words, and a series of otherwise quite normal activities or one or two more impacting ones, might cause the tissue to give way. Because of this and the fact that the blood supply to such major ligaments is not abundant, healing can take some time. It's not uncommon for the ligament to give way again in the first few months after repair. Hence you will find your surgeon very cautious about removing the cast and/or immobiliser.
 
That's a shame. I would think that the torn Achilles tendon was something that you were always destined to get, TKR or no. What happens is that the tendon may either be partially torn or completely. Either way, the surgeon may simply be able to stitch the two ends together. Depending upon how easy or difficult this is to do, the leg can either be put in a cast with the toe pointing down - as per image - or, if the repair is more secure, an immobiliser might be used instead. However, if a cast is used, it will likely be exchanged for an immobiliser after a few weeks.

[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12 [Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

It should be remembered that Achilles tendons usually tear because the condition of ligament tissue has become impaired in some way, weakened in other words, and a series of otherwise quite normal activities or one or two more impacting ones, might cause the tissue to give way. Because of this and the fact that the blood supply to such major ligaments is not abundant, healing can take some time. It's not uncommon for the ligament to give way again in the first few months after repair. Hence you will find your surgeon very cautious about removing the cast and/or immobiliser.

Josephine it is a Right patellar tendon tear. I am having surgery on the 18th. If you have any information or advice I would appreciate it. I have been down. I just feel like I am going back to zero. I am just now able to sleep on my side. My understading is that surgery has a long recovery and it is easy to tear again. What are your thoughts?
 
Vicki,

That is what the doctor thought I had done when he stuck me in the immobilizer brace. He is a revision specialist, and said that even if I had torn the stitches loose, he was not doing surgery for awhile. He wanted the other tissues to heal first around the knee.

I wish you well on your surgery!
 
Vicki,

That is what the doctor thought I had done when he stuck me in the immobilizer brace. He is a revision specialist, and said that even if I had torn the stitches loose, he was not doing surgery for awhile. He wanted the other tissues to heal first around the knee.

I wish you well on your surgery!
If I injured it when I fell it will be six weeks day of surgery. Thank you so much for your support and help. Means alot to me.
 
Vicki here is a picture of when I was wearing the immobilizer. Hope this gives you some idea as to what you will be facing!:) [Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12 Thank goodness I have lost more weight. My shirt was stretched to the max!:heehee:
 
Vicki here is a picture of when I was wearing the immobilizer. Hope this gives you some idea as to what you will be facing!:) [Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12 Thank goodness I have lost more weight. My shirt was stretched to the max!:heehee:


Looks like one big happy smile to me! That doesn't look as bad as I thought. I thought it was longer than the leg. Had to be careful in the beginning getting up and setting down with TKR too. Maybe I am just making a mountain out of a molehilll. Thanks for posting pic ;-)
 
Vicki, as I hope you can tell it stretches all the way up to the rear. The problem with it is it likes to slide down as soon as it is put on so my shoe was the "catcher" for it. It is not exactly the most thought out brace I have come across! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom