Guest viewing is limited

TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelsie, it's a good thing that you are able to use crutches. I'm such a klutz with crutches, I would have probably already broken my leg if I were using them. Good luck with your PT tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. Vickie
 
Yes finally ! How was your bath? I did the bike at my PT office and it was so much easier than the one at the gym, just a nicer bike and set up..I need to work on straighting my leg out more.... It hurts!!!
How is everyone else doing?
Cathy
 
Just out of curiosity (not that it matters because we all heal differently :rolleyes: ) what are you guys at for ROM? I am becoming more accepting of the fact that I am slow to recover ROM. I get personally frustrated when I read of success stories - no, wait... envious of success stories. I want so badly to heal and do things like "normal". There is no way anyone will ever understand unless they have been through a surgery like ours....

I am hopelessly optimistic right now. LOL I spent the day with my hubby, something we haven't done in a long time because of my pain issues. He really doesn't understand what I am going through, nor does he really try. I am just so happy we spent quality time together... no kids! :egypdance: Sorry, I love them all dearly, but it gets to be more than I can handle right now. Alone time with him was what the doctor ordered!!
 
Kelsie, it's a good thing that you are able to use crutches. I'm such a klutz with crutches, I would have probably already broken my leg if I were using them. Good luck with your PT tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. Vickie

Because of having a R knee scope in August, a L knee scope in October and now TKR in February... I have become a pro on crutches!
 
Hi Vickie, I am somewhere near 0 on a good day with straighten and then at 118 with help on a good day. Today I was swollen ,knee was hot so he didn't even measure it. He said it,was about the same give or take. I really worked at getting past 90 the second week because the home therapist said that was the magic number to get past that week. But idk I think everyone goes at there own pace. So here I,am sitting on the floor with 4 lbs of weight on my knee and heal on a towel and gritting my,teeth. I really want to make sure the leg is straight after all this!
How nice you got spend time with your hubby. Mine keeps bringing up things like,his retirement and moving that he should not be talking a out right now and and I end up hysterically crying. He needs to go back to work but he is off for 4 days.
Cathy
 
Check out these babies... :ok:

[Bonesmart.org] Vickie's Knee Recovery


My niece has been nice enough to share them with me.
 
Cathy, I think that you meant to address your ROM answer to Kelsie, but I think that she will probably see it here when she reads thru the posts. I did that same exercise today too, but with only 3 lbs. of weight. The PT told me to do that exercise twice a day. I agree with you that it feels horrible! I was gritting my teeth thru the pain of that exercise. Vickie
 
Yup, ROM of motion ?? was me. :)

I am just curious and want to remain competitive in this game. :angel:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Vickie's Knee Recovery
Cathy, you need to give your knee a break. You are just 1 month post op. You have plenty of time to get to 0 extension. I was about 9 to 10 months post op before I finally got to 0. And even before that I could walk properly and do pretty much anything I wanted to. One of the reasons you have having swelling so often is that you are overtaxing the knee----and swelling is how the knee always responds to too much activity. Often in this recovery less is more, and your knee would really benefit from less.


You just cannot rush things---this recovery is going to take as long as it's going to take---at three months you may start to be glad you had the surgery and at six months you may begin to actually feel more or less "normal". In the meantime, you need to take deep breaths, relax, and learn to roll with the slow flow of recovery. It's going to take a lot of TIME and you have to dig down deep to find the PATIENCE to take the TIME to let the knee do it's thing. So cut yourself some slack and take it easy. You CAN do this and you WILL get to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Vickie's Knee Recovery
 
Kelsie, You won't be jealous of my ROM. It was measured today at 85 degrees and the one for straightness was a bent 14. I talked with the doctor about it and he said that my knee is swollen and it will get better. He told me to keep taking the pain pills and to get ready for a lot more serious PT in 2 weeks. Ugh... I understand how you feel when you read the posts. We all want to be happy for everyone, but it is hard when we aren't quite there yet. Our bodies are all unique and will heal . Have you talked with your Dr. about it? Vickie
 
Poof, all the above applies to you also, sweetie. You are trying too hard. Please be kind to your knee if you want it to be kind to you. [Bonesmart.org] Vickie's Knee Recovery
 
Kelsie, you should feel good just walking on those cute crutches. It would make me smile if I saw someone using them. Vickie
 
Anyone do knee stretches lying on the stomach? My PT kind of showed me an exercise last week but it was the end of my appt so it was rushed. While I was watching TV tonight I tried for a bit. It's quite a stretch for me... feels good but very tight!
 
Hi Judy, thanks for the kind encouragement! I was very sad today when my ROM measured 85, but I will just keep doing what I need to do and try and be patient. I feel very blessed that I have gotten a new out patient therapist. I was told to do my exercises one time per day with the exception of a couple that I will be doing twice a day. I will stick with that and ice my knee and elevate. Tomorrow will be my knee's one month birthday and I plan on taking care of it for many years to come. Anytime you feel like chiming in and giving us some advice or encouragement, please do so. Any information is appreciated. Vickie
 
Yes finally ! How was your bath? I did the bike at my PT office and it was so much easier than the one at the gym, just a nicer bike and set up..I need to work on straighting my leg out more.... It hurts!!!
How is everyone else doing?
Cathy
The bubble bath was everything that I was hoping for. My leg felt very relaxed. I was a little anxious about getting in and out of the tub because its pretty deep, but I did not have any problems. Think I'm ready to try and get some sleep. It was a long day for us with PT and the Dr. Hope everyone has a sound nights sleep. Vickie :sleep:
 
HimJudy thanks for the kind words. I actually notice less,swelling when ai exercise. My problem is I am at home by myself a lot and can't,stand looking at clutter so tend to,do,too much in the house laundry... Yesterday I was walking most of the day,so swelling today. I even had to,get the trash cans out or they would have been skipped. The doctor did tell me to concentrate on straighting the leg since that is what was causing all my back,issues. But will try and take it easier!
Cathy
 
Kelsie, you should feel good just walking on those cute crutches. It would make me smile if I saw someone using them. Vickie

I do get lots of looks and smiles with these crutches. Sometimes they make me feel even younger than I am, but what the hay! I have even been told that I would win the prize for cutest crutches! :loll: Woo-hoo!!
 
Vickie,
The OS has mentioned on two different ocassions doing MUA. We are going to discuss it again on Friday when I see him. At PT on Tues, I measured 70 degrees and that was after we worked it, stretched it, massaged it... we were both very frustrated! Thursday, she didn't even measure... not once. :yay: That was a relief because I always feel more pressure and let down when I don't see the right numbers or the numbers increase.

This is the 2nd PT that I have seen. The first one had no sympathy whatsoever and pushed me and held me in a very uncomfortable positions while I cried- he wouldn't stop. He was determined that at day 10, I would be at 90 degrees. I went to him 2x and just couldn't put myself through it any more. I was so anxious leading up to it. Then I switched the the PT that I have been seeing for well over a year for back issues and then more recently knee issues. She is more sympathetic to my body overall because she knows... She too made me cry because she didn't think I was trying hard enough but when she realized that it was out of my control, she started to work with me instead of against me.

Long story short, I have been trying really hard to improve my ROM. Friday we'll see what doc says. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom