TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cathy, you should try the stretch exercise that Laura is referring to on your bed if the floor hurts. I have not tried the stretch on the floor because my PT said I was not ready for floor exercises???? I do this stretch on the table at pt but the strap is called a"Stretch Out Strap" that I purchased from PT.
Thank you Mary Ellen I will try that the PT did that yesterday just by gently pushing....But it was on the soft table!!!!
 
Maybe that's not an exercise for those of us only one month out? I think that we need to be cautious and go with what our PT advises. It would be horrible to hurt yourself after going thru this surgery by jumping into exercises that we may not be physically ready for.
 
"I also use a yoga strap around my ankle, lay on my stomach on the floor and pull. I do 4 reps in one set and two sets a day. It's done wonders for my groin too!! " from LauraMacky

Vickie, this is from LauraMacky, I am going to try this but not on the floor! First of all I dont think i could get off the floor if i once got down there!
I just had a nice outing my daughter and her 2 little ones and I went out to a favorite place for Sushi! She said im walking better and better :). Now im back home and feel worn out and want ice and bed! Thats just how my routine gpes right now... I store up some energy so I can cook some dinner tonight :)
Hugs everyone
Susie
 
Sandi, oh wow bilateral your a brave girl... I cant even imagine that. I hope your doing well, You deserve an award.
We all sound to be in about the same boat, but you X2!! Hang in there girl keep us posted on your progress.
hugs
Susie
 
I can't believe anyone would do this on both knees! They deserve a metal! Suzie how nice for you to get out and to have grandkids ! I am still waiting! My older son turns 25'on Saturday and my younger one will be 22 in April. Have a good rest!
Cathy
 
Hi Susie, I've been doing my exercises on my nice soft bed. I don't think that I could get up off the floor either. Maybe I should ask the therapist about how to do that. Wouldn't it be awful to get down there and have to wait for someone to pull us back up! :spin: Vickie
 
I met a lady at PT yesterday that had both done 6 weeks ago. She was about 15 years older than me and sooooo far ahead of me in recovery. She could have ran circles around me. She was very sweet and came over to encourage me. She said that she lives alone and went into rehab for 3 weeks after the surgery and gave them credit for her progress. I'm sure she deserved most of the credit herself. It made me feel good to see her in action. Vickie
 
I have been sitting on the floor every morning since I got home because I feed the dogs and have to sit between them so they don't eat each others food. I pull myself up on the fireplace although it is getting easier to get up now than then.I also layed on the floor to show everyone how my leg touched it lol I heard rehab they work you hard!
Cathy
 
I can get up and down from the floor but it ain't pretty! I use a yoga mat or a pillow to reduce the pressure but I certainly wouldn't worry about hurting yourself. You can do whatever your body allows you to do. On the floor you can put your feet up on a foot rest to stretch and you can put a towel roll under your ankle for extension for a few minutes at a time.

Don't be afraid to live your life a little at a time. Each thing you try will hurt a little less each time you try it - someetimes it may feel more painful but that day will be a one off. Go for it.
 
Ok ladies its 8 30 ive made dinner did dishes and all the exercises I need to do, plus I added in the one from Laura. So I am finally to my favorite place , PJ's my bed and just wrapped my leg with the pad from my ice machine. I have to say that was the best thing I did purchasing the ice machine. They used it round he clock in the hospital and I use it a lot here too. Its probably the one thing that helps me sleep. Feels soooo good!
Night ladies I hope you all have a good night
Susie
 
Good night Suzie,
Got home,from party. Knee is sore even thought I sat and elevated. Got ice pain med now in bed!
Cathy
 
Hey everyone! About that stretch with the yoga strap....I would not do that at one month out! Sorry I hadn't even thought about the time frame. I didn't start that till two months! Also, I started with a pillow under my tummy when I did it because my back and groin hurt so much. I've now graduated to the hard floor but that took at least a week into it before I could do that. Also, it's two sets a day, four reps each set. The first rep I start off slowly stretching just to stretch out the groin. I increase the intensity on each of the next reps until I have done four of them. I hope that gives more clarification.

Cathy..I'm glad you liked my blog! I have fun writing it. It really has helped me stay on the positive side I think although believe me, I had my dark moments like most of us. Thanks for checking it out!! :)

And oh! I'm so happy about how I feel these days that I know I'm going to make my family reunion in June! Yay!!!!
 
Laura,
How nice for you to go to your family reunion. Where is it at? I am suppose,to fly to Florida,to,see my brother and his family. We will see right now I don't feel that is going to happen but we will see. How is everyone today?
 
The reunion is in Michigan and I live in California so it's about a 5 hour flight. I'm feeling so hopeful for a change! I feel like my old perky self! And with a freshly coiffed hairdo! ;) When are you supposed to go see your brother in Florida?
 
4 Weeks: It's time for the thread update. If you aren't interested, just skip this post. I'm trying to keep a journal of my progress. :)
Today was my 2nd out patient PT. On Monday, my knee would only bend to 85 degrees, but today it made it to 95 degrees. It took a lot of stretching, bending and crying to get those 10 degrees. I was at PT for about 1-1/2 hours. I am still unable to make a full rotation on the bicycle, but will be so excited when that comes. Some of the exercises today were very painful, but I made it through. It is so embarrassing for me to be the one crying at therapy. I've gone before for other injuries and have cried before, but today it just seemed, well embarrassing. I was trying to control my breathing and I was praying for help with the exercises from above.....I've had "frozen shoulder" before, so it's possible that my knee has developed scar tissue since my body has a propensity to do that. However, she said that it was way too soon to worry about that and 10 degrees difference by the 2nd session was very good.....I hope that everyone else had a great therapy session today also, if it was your day to go. Vickie
 
You should not be doing pt so hard that it makes you cry. Uncomfortable, yes, but not pain and certainly no tears!
 
Awww Vickie. :( I'm so sorry you had such a painful experience. :( I'm just wondering if that's too much too soon? You are only one month out. Personally, I'd be hysterical if they did that to me back then. I'm thinking perhaps your knee is reacting negatively to all that. Sometimes just gentle stretching at no resistance exercises work better at first, imho. I'm no doctor, that's for sure, but I didn't start getting more aggressive with exercise until month 2 and even then I only felt very sore later on in the day after PT. Elevate and ice that sucker! LOL!
 
I honestly think that just about anything would make me cry right now. I will be glad when these water works are turned off! Vickie
 
Vickie ,
I don't know but maybe someone here does but I think 3 lbs is too much on your knee for that I don't use any weights at all.
Hope you are feeling better.

Laura I am suppose to go in June. Will see how I feel. I am getting the gray out of my hair
 
I know what you mean about those waterworks. One day I cried solidly for almost two hours. It was nuts!!! I went out today to go to Trader Joe's and I couldn't wait to get home and elevate my leg. Seems like yesterday was better, but hey, at least I don't have grey hair anymore! LOL! I hope we both make it to visit our families in June!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom