TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a month ahead of you girls but still feeling its a slow go. I only did one outing today and decided to lay low so the knee is happier tonight. Still swollen that's jut a given these days but not as big as it can be when im up and about on it a lot... one more set of exercises for the day and l'll be done. This is a great place and im hoping it will keep me a bit more up beat. I see from reading im not the only one that can cry on a dime! Hope you all have a restful night 9 (as if) :)
Susie
Right Knee 1/12/13
 
Hi Vickie,
No he won't be able to so,we will see about going out there when he is not on a fire. I am not looking forward to the drive to the doctors on the 19th. 90 minutes each way if we are lucky.. What are u up PT tonight..
Cathy
 
Weather here in Wisconsin has been crappy today. 35 degrees and rainy. I am pretty sure this is contributing to today's discomfort level. Both of my legs are so achy! The replaced knee feels like I am wearing a super tight sleeve. It's so uncomfortable. My activity today consisted of a shower... otherwise it's been ice and elevate all day but that hasn't relieved this feeling. I am hoping tomorrow is a better day. :)
~Kel
 
Susie, I'm still having the crying jags. They aren't nearly as bad as they were, but it still surprises me when I do it. Yesterday,I think the pain for being out running errands brought it on, Vickie
 
Kel, we are having some bad weather here too and my knee had that band like feeling. In fact, when I was getting undressed last night, the thought passed quickly thru my brain that I needed to take the bandage off of my knee because it was too tight. (There is no bandage. Just my brain trying to explain my knee feeling tight). I go back to the OS tomorrow. I will ask him about it. Vickie
 
Cathy, I'm so sorry that your son will be gone for that long. I have a son and can understand your feelings about that....I didn't do any PT last night. I was really exhausted from all of the walking around that we did yesterday. We ran several errands and ate out twice. After being at home for more than three weeks, the traffic and noise was pretty hard to take!....Last night I felt an undissolved stitch that popped thru the skin surface. Do you remember when I started taking antibiotics about a week ago because of a small red area at the end of my incision line? Anyway, that's where the stitch is. I'm kind of scared because I figure they are going to have to go in a pull that out. I wonder how bad that is going to hurt? I go back to the OS Monday afternoon, so I can show him then....I managed to sleep from 10-6 this morning (less 1 hr for DST). I did wake up a couple of times in the night to take pain meds, but went right back to sleep. That is 2 nights in a row for me. I have no idea what is different! Vickie
 
Hi Vickie,
That is great you slept so long! I had a horrible night. My knee hurt I was upset. More upset with my husband who is so insensitive to my feelings about my son leaving. I said maybe he will be home sick and next year get a job closer he said I doubt it. So really hurt my feelings. And of course it doesn't help that my knee hurt all day and I,am stressed from the whole surgery,thing.
I doubt it will hurt very much to pull it out. Maybe a little sting. I could be wrong but just bend your knee at the same time he pulls it out you won't feel the stich at all Bc the bend will hurt more lol. Just kidding! But really shouldn't be bad.
Kel my sister lives in Rockford Il which is about an hour from the Wisconsin boarder. It,has been cold there!
Tuesday one of the guys at my husbands station is retiring and they are having a party for him at an Irish pup about half hour away. I have no idea what to wear I don't really want to wear a dress one because I don't have any flat shoes to go,with it just platforms, and they are all to dressy and I am not in the mood. But I can even think about putting jeans on. I might have one pair that maybe loser in knee. And that leaves sweats which is what I have been wearing. Then we are going to to mall before the party since I am giving my son my iPad to take with him and getting another one. The iPad has been my communication to the outside world for the past month lol. He bought a lap top but we said the iPad would be easier to carry in your pack and he set up Facebook page to keep on touch so he took laptop back and we said we would give him mine. It is on Verizon which is the only cell service that works up there. So it will be a long day I am kinda dreading it.
Cathy
 
Vicki,
Please let me know what your OS says. I don't go until Friday. The bandage scenario is perfect, that's what it feels like...super tight and confined. Thanks for giving me the words. :yes:

Cathy,
I actually tried to put jeans on yesterday. That was an epic fail :rolleyes: I was feeling pretty good and thought I would give it a try. Oh well... I'll give it another month.

Weather is still crappy today. Very gloomy, which doesn't help my mood! It's really hard to stay positive when things look (and feel) so dismal.

Chin up. Head high. We'll get there!! :happydance:
 
Susie,
Hope your night was good. Where did you have your surgery at.. I am looking forward to a month later!
Cathy
 
Do you have any jeans that have a little Spandex in them? That may give you a little more give for bending your knee. I put on jeans one day because I was so tired of my sweats, but it was so difficult to exercise, ice or heat my knee. I think that it is going to be pretty tough for you to sit for very long at the party. We went out to lunch yesterday and about 30 minutes into it, I was so exhausted from trying to figure out where to put my leg to make it comfortable. I just wanted to go home...I really think that men just feel differently than we do about our sons leaving home. I know that our children do need to be independent from us, but as Mom's it is very hard for them to be gone like that. I totally understand what you are feeling....I'm thinking that some of your knee pain could be from stress also. All of our muscles tighten up and then it just makes it worse. Do you have a muscle relaxer pill? Did you try the moist heat for a few minutes? Vickie
 
Cathy, 90 minutes one way to your doctor? Where was the surgery done at? That's a long time to ride in the car. I bet that it was really tough when you were coming home right after the surgery! Vickie
 
Hi,
I do but I don't know if I will like the feeling of something that close to my knee will have to try. I do have a muscle relaxer that I have been taking but it makes me tired so only try to take at night. I didn't do the moist heat yet I forgot to do that I will try it. Yep my husband was saying he wanted to move to Fla for 6 months yesterday which didnt help matters. My brother lives in So fla my hubby likes north fla I hate both. I love Ca and will not move. My older son is here and he is a deputy for Los Angeles so he is not moving I will not be that far away from him either. As I have gotten older I don't tolerate the sun very well. He is out in the sun as much as possible even though he has been told my countless doctors to stay out of it he has ruined his skin it has tons of sun damage. Men they don't get it when it is time to shut up.
Cathy
 
Kelsie, Did you get all of the snow that went thru last week? I can't remember if Wisconsin was in it or not.....I don't know about you, but I still have trouble concentrating, so its hard for me to read a book or even follow along with a movie on tv. It seems like my train of thought just isn't totally back yet. It probably has a lot to do with the pain meds that I'm taking and also with sleep deprivation....I'm really glad that I'm going to start my outpatient therapy tomorrow. It is going to be hard for me at first though because my in home PT was awful and I'm a little afraid....I bought a pedometer yesterday and it measures the number of steps or how far you have walked in miles. I think that it is going to motivate me to get moving around more.....it won't be long until spring is here and that is going to make all of us feel better! We will be able to get outside in the warm sun instead of being house-bound....My appt with the OS is in the late afternoon. I have put the question on my list about the "band-like" feeling. I will let you know what he says. Vickie
 
Cathy, 90 minutes one way to your doctor? Where was the surgery done at? That's a long time to ride in the car. I bet that it was really tough when you were coming home right after the surgery! Vickie
It was in Los Angeles at Cedars Hospital I loved the hospital and loved my doctor so worth it. It was a awful ride home it took 3 hours because of traffic.
 
Its been so helpful reading here thank you all for sharing. I need to take my pain pills on a more regular basis is what im thinking. I dont know why i seem to resist when it comes to taking them. Im not even on a very strong pill now just Norco. The pain is bad right now and i think that affects my walking..grrrr. Tuesday will mark 2 months for me and I thought id be so much farther ahead by now. Reading here helped me there too i read something here about the knee is the boss! boy if that isnt true. After reading I think maybe i was pushing toooo hard and that was not helping my healing. It amazing how different it seems each person does. But ill keeep pushing forward, the thought of doing my other knee anytime soon sends me into a panic... ill be putting it off as long as i can. Have any of you tried any water exercise? I have a place fairly close to me that does water rehabilitation but since im still not driving (rt knee) ugh, its hard to always get a ride. My husband has been so patient with me but im sure he will be glad for me to get back to something more normal. Im actually still sleeeping in the bed alone. I am still using my Ice machine at night it really healps with my sleep. It was the best purchase i ever made i think. So with the ice machine tub that come up and my knee all wrapped and the way i still toss and turn and im sure moan st night he is still jusdt staying in our guest room. Good thing we have a comfy bed in there! I probably bore the neck out of you all im not good at getting straight to the points i go around a whole lot of bushes. Its just do good to have someplace to come and talk this all out. I have so many dear sweet friends and kids and family but I worry they are all just sick of hearing this and about all my worries. No one really knows these feeling or the pain thats involved if they have not walked in the shoes. Thank you all again for letting me be part of this. Tell me to hush if i get to be too much.
Susie
 
Cathy, i wish i knew how to reply right to your post. I had my surgery at a hospital in Upland near my home here. San Antonio hospital. I had an OS I like so very much he did my total hip 2 years ago and i love his bed side manor too. He is such a caring doctor and i really need that since after these surgries i can cry if anyone just looks at me! He tries to joke with me and keeep my spirits up and my hip came out sooo good i wanted him for my knee too. I have the replacement that is fairly new, its a personalized replacement. Made just for me. I know they have come a long ways even from just a few years back. Now i guess its just all up to me to get this thing moving the way it should. Dr. tells me to relax stop fretting and it will come. Just continue to be more and more activities and do my exercises, i was starting to feel so hopelss, until i found this site. Now i feeel so normal with where I am at. I have managed to go out shopping several times, cant keep a good shopper down I guess. and yes jeans with some spandex really helps. I wear them when i go out but as soon as i hit the front door im back in my sweats!!! Cedars is a great hospital cant blame you for going there. Lucky you too living in Ventura, that is one of my favorite places. We are not really very far apart amazing how small a world this is. Ok ill hugs for now .. can you tell im a shy quiet wall flower! lol
 
Lol Susie ,
No we are not very far apart! Yes you do need to take the pain pills because being in pain causes all sorts of issues too. I actually think I am under medicated since I am rarely without pain going to talk to the doctor,when I go on the 19th but then it maybe not be. Idk I did some test for cholesterol and I have some genetic thing where I don't process medication right so the dose is too small. I have to find that paper and show it too him that could be the problem. I might look into the water thing when I can. I have my hubby when he is not at work and my two papillons in bed with me lol glad you got out shopping lol I have been shopping on the Internet.
I think we all thought we would be further along than we are so frustrating..
Cathy
 
I'm having a really bad evening. I took the pain pills two hours ago and the pain is still at a 7! Now I'm trying to ice it and see if that helps any. It feels like the skin is on fire on one side of my knee. It doesn't look any different than the other side. Maybe the nerves are waking up on that side? Also, my feet hurt every night. I do have some nerve damage in my right foot and take Lyrica for that, but the pain is more in the other one that is the surgery side. Does anyone else have problems like that and what do you do about it? I just got through soaking my feet in hot water. That helps a lot until I get out of the water and then here comes the foot pain again. Good grief! All of these pains are exhausting! Vickie
 
Cathy, I used to have a little Papillon named Odie. I loved that little dog so much. He was such a sweetheart and took such good care of me. He was red and white. What color are yours?..... How are you feeling today? Vickie
 
Hi Vickie,
So sorry to hear about your pain I get that on the inside of my knee. That seems to be the sorest even in PT that side hurts. My feet don't really hurt but they will ache. Dd you take your muscle relaxer? I have one black and white papillon and a black,white and brown one. They are Misty and Molly I also have a boarder collie named Mustang. I ended up going to the gym I am glad I did the bike was actually easier today and I seem to have more bend in my knee tonight. I also wanted to go by the pet store without my hubby Bc I got our cat this plug in that is suppose to calm here she has been spraying on the dog bed and licking her fur so patches are missing. Well in my drug haze I couldn't quite figure out how to put it together and ended up throwing the cork/wick away lol so I wanted to get a refill so I could use that one. Got the dogs fed now laying down .
Cathy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom