Guest viewing is limited

TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weather here in Wisconsin has been crappy today. 35 degrees and rainy.
The weather does have a great deal to do with how you feel during recovery---ironically, today in Cleveland, it was sunny and 63*!
One thing to consider, though, is this; when the weather gets really nice, you will not be watching the nice weather, your recovery will be pretty complete and you will be out enjoying it!

I had my BTKR in November and went through a horrible winter---but when spring did come, boy did I enjoy it. I am sure that you will feel the same way, too!
 
Hi Vickie :). PT has been going well and I'm definitely straightening much better these days. Yesterday I had a big outing! My hubby and I went on a beautiful drive. It was warm and gorgeous out and we had the sunroof open! I even got a little sunburn! Oh how that lifted my spirits. I get kinda down sometimes like most of us, and that sunshine really helped. I don't know if this happened to you, but I would go through these incredibe crying spells every other day or so and they lasted for about two months! Maybe it's because I have fibromyalgia too but it was really bad! How are you doing in that regard?

I have those prickly things or "zingers" as I like to call them. I think it's just part of the healing process? Why is it that I always forget to ask the doctor something when I'm there! And I even brought notes! Lol!

I really love this site. We are all amazing aren't we?
 
Sorry your hurting so much Vicki, thats one thing I have come to learn there is always pain but everyone says that will end give it time. I was way to busy this afternoon and now im paying for it...alll i want are my pj's pain pill ice and my bed..... I had alot of burning pain too about the stage your at. First it was inside right then it was more outside left on my knee and now for whatever reason im feeling alot of pain in the muscle just above my knee more left side... i am wondering if its something im doing in my exercises thats causing that. But the burning pain your tallking about i had that too and for the most part I think im past that... but then again seems like im past something then bam it rears up again so we will see. Best thing ive leaned reading in here is that THE KNEE IS THE BOSS!! Oh my gosh could that be any more true! But realizing that seems to be giving me a little piece. Im trying to listen to the knee! Hope you ladies get some rest tonight
Susie
 
Sleepless night for me. This weekend overall was really rough. I was restless, achy, gloomy... I guess my body is just settling down with it's new parts. The burning pain that I have is just below the surface of the skin, it almost feels like you can rub it to relieve it but you can't. It's the nerves regenerating. My husband has to have the nerves burned in his neck every 6 months to relieve headaches and we have compared notes on this burning pain. You just can't quite get at it. :scratch:

Looking outside right now, it's going to be another gloomy one. I have felt this damp weather in both knees and my low back all weekend. Guess what I will be doing today?!? You got it! The couch. :)

Have a magnificent Monday my friends! :egypdance:
 
The weather does have a great deal to do with how you feel during recovery---ironically, today in Cleveland, it was sunny and 63*!
One thing to consider, though, is this; when the weather gets really nice, you will not be watching the nice weather, your recovery will be pretty complete and you will be out enjoying it!

I had my BTKR in November and went through a horrible winter---but when spring did come, boy did I enjoy it. I am sure that you will feel the same way, too!

I cannot wait for that nice weather to come our way!!! I am ready for the cold, rainy, snowy stuff to go away. I would love to be able to sit outside on the porch and watch the world go by. :SUNsmile:
 
Kelsie Lou, I will be at 2 months tomorrow and actually now that you hve reminded me of the burning that has gone for me.. funny when its happening you think it will never go away and then it does and you don't even realize it. sooooo now I realize I guess I am making progress.... slow and sure as it goes... emphasis on the slow part!
 
Everyone, Thanks so much for the reassurance on the burning pain. It is on the inside of my knee too....I'm about to head off to my first out patient PT. I'm really scared after all I went thru with my home PT. Please keep me in your thoughts this morning and pray that I get a great therapist. This afternoon I have another Dr. appointment. I also have all of my questions written down. Hope that I remember to get the list out...I had posted here that I have a stitch poking thru the surface that they will need to pull out. Well, this morning it is gone. I have a pic of it on my IPad to show the doc. I'm hoping that they are not going to go "digging" for it....Laura, I have had so many crying jags. The doc told me that the pain pills bring that on so it's something that we will have to deal with. He smiled and told me to just get a giant box of tissues and just cry whenever I need to. My Dr. Is an amazing man!....it's time for me to go. Will let you know what happens today. Vickie
 
Good luck Vickie in PT! Let us know how it goes!
Kelsie Lou, hope you are feeling better. I hate that achy feeling almost more than the pain because it seems like it just won't go away no matter what I do..
Yesterday afternoon I was able to do things I couldn't a week ago so that made me feel good. I was even able to get the trash cans out because nobody else was home to do it.
I have PT at 11 ugh. Pain. Have a good day!
Cathy
 
Praying you get an awesome physical therapist. I truly believe that they are just as important as the surgeon. I'm glad you have a wonderful doctor!!! I do too and it makes the world of difference to felt *heard* doesn't it? Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone with that crying. I'm pretty much over it and it does coincide with me taking much less medications, so that makes sense. Hopefully they won't get the backhoe out for you Vickie! LOL!

I'm off to PT which is at 9 am this morning. I'll check for you later to see how it went. :)
 
Good luck to everyone with PT. I go tomorrow morning. Today I am wandering around the house a little. I cannot bend my knee so I walk either with crutches or a gimp but that's ok. I figure the other leg needs to get some excercise too. I do know my limitations though. I can only be up and about for 1-2 hours then I pay for it later. Ice and pillows are my friend!

On a positive note, I did polish my toes today! LOL There is no way I could go get a pedicure because of the lack of bend but I was able to bend just enough to polish those little babies. :happydance: Just one of the little triumphs to make me feel good.
 
Wow I don't know how you did your toes. I had mine done last week couldn't do my own lol
 
Kelsie you are one flexible woman! Good job in doing something to make yourself feel good! Ill settle for getting my hair done tomorrow LOL!
 
Just got back from My first outpatient PT. I think that all of your kind thoughts and prayers were heard. I have found a really nice PT that seems to know what she is doing. They had me do stretching exercises, made half-rotations on the stationary bike, slid my leg up and down the wall to try and get some knee bend, did some exercises to help the quad muscles, got a leg massage (wonderful!) and they did a sonogram on my knee to break up some of the swelling. That was interesting. I haven't had a sonogram except when I was pregnant a hundred years ago! I will be going to PT three times a week for a month and then will be re-evaluated. On the down side....my measurements were 14 (for having the knee flat) and 85 for bend. My other knee bends to 140 degrees. What was really hard is that after the stretching exercises, my bend was still 85. She said that my knee is still swollen and its possible that it has a slight infection because its somewhat red and warm to the touch. The OS appt. is scheduled for 2:40, so we will see what he has to say.....It sounds like just about everyone is going to PT today. Let us know how you are all doing. Vickie
 
Hi Vickie,
Glad your PT went good! :yes!: mine was good too but painful. It was a little swollen today and hot but did some new exercises and rode the bike better today! How was your doctoe appt?
Cathy
 
Hi Cathy, Were the new exercises painful? When our knees get hot and swollen, I think they are saying to ice and elevate. Don't you think?...Dr. visit went very well. He told me that I may see some more stitches that pop up. He said I can just pull them out. Easy enough. (I think...) :shocked: He said the band-like feeling that we get around the knee is from nerves and will resolve itself. My sore ankle is from blood pooling around the tarsal tunnel. Anti-inflammatory cream will help that.....I also picked up a CD from him that shows the new implant on x-ray. I was excited to get that. Now I can send it to my Mother-in-Law and she will understand why I haven't healed in the 3 weeks that she predicted....He told me to take my meds like I'm supposed to.....He wasn't worried about the numbers I reported from PT. He said they weren't great, but at one month out he wasn't worried and I shouldn't be either.....I'm waiting for my meds to kick in and then I've got a couple of exercises to do later.....BEST NEWS OF ALL - I can take baths again and soak. I think that I'm in heaven! :angel:
 
Hi Vickie,
No they were really painful. As you know most anything is uncomfortable but these were bad. Now him bending and working on my knee were painful but he actually took it easy because of the swelling and hotness. Yes I think when they get like that ice and elevation is the best. I am glad you can take a bath again! I want to get a CD of mine!
Just took some meds too waiting waiting waiting.....
Cathy
 
mine is Wed!!! Cant wait to get rid of these gray roots!!!
I will be glad when I can sit in a chair long enough to get my eyebrows waxed! I just don't think I can let my leg dangle off the chair yet....I'm getting my hair cut next week and need more highlights to hide my grey hair. It just takes too long though, so I will have to put those off for another month I think. Vickie
 
Lucky for me this is a short appt to cover the roots.. I didn't plan it that way but it worked out... But roots need it.. Got eyebrows done last week! The important things in life...
Cathy
 
Did your meds kick-in?.......I did the rocking back and forth on the bike again for 10 minutes and then laid down with my heel elevated and 3 lbs. of weights on my knee for 10 minutes. The weight on the knee exercise hurts, but it feels so good when it's OVER! I'm icing now and sitting here just thinking about the bubble bath that is about to happen!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom