TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow is 2 months for me.... all this talk of ROM and PT is about to have me in tears. As I said earlier on my OS stopped my PT. He told me I would not go back. He felt they were pushing the knee too hard , making it bend to the point I was in tears. The knee was red and inflamed and so swollen he felt was being caused by over pushing. So now here I am at 2 months on my own. I have several exercises I do 3 times a day. All exercise I got from home PT and my 2 outpatient PT sessions. I do not know what my bend is at this time but I am pretty sure im still not even at 118.... and I know im not at 0. I worry its never going to come now and I don't have PT trying to get it there. Im on my own and I try my hardest and do exercise. I do not push the bend to the point im in tears now because the OS said he did not want me pushing it so hard. Im trying so hard to trust in him.. he said keep going and the bend will come. I too get active and I pay the price. I can keep the swelling down as long as im off it and on ice.. but that not reality. I cooked dinner and then did all the clean up and at the end of that I was so swollen again. Wonder when that will ever stop. I get so worried about the ROM its one of the things that can through me into a crying jag the fastest. I want the bend back and I want the straight leg. I worry all the time. I want to wear my cute shoes again someday. Its so hard not to be discouraged. I know ive made big improvements but seems like all most of us focus on is the ROM and the Straightening. Oh here I am rambling again, its just so hard and its true no one really understand what we are going through since it was not to them directly. Sounds like everyone is working so hard.... me too
hope everyone sleeps well... I think im in one of those crying moods.... maybe I just need to give into it and have a good cry.
night ladies susie
 
Oh, sweetie, please don't cry.. Now listen to me, and to Josephine, and the others here who did NOT have formal PT. I had nothing more in regards to PT than massage and gentle bending and stretches..the very thing you are doing yourself, and I have 150 degrees of flexation.

You are doing far, far, too much at this stage dearheart..the reality is that this recovery is long and there are things you must not do. One is overdoing it because we think we must, or think we can!!! You need to relax, ice and elevate, and address that swelling. A swollen knee will not bend or straighten. And it does not take much to get it angry with you.

You are smack dab into the angry tissue phase of recovery. It usually happens at 4 weeks in and at 8 weeks can still be a problem. Please ice and elevate, and let that knee rest and heal. You will find that once the swelling has gone down, it will cooperate much better.

This recovery really does take time and patience. You are over 100 degrees of flexation now, which is a great sign!! It means there WILL be more flex to come dear one. And as far as straightening, that will come too. It takes some folks longer than other, that's all.

You just go easy, and gently stretch and bend, but don't get obsessive. To help with the straightening, put a heating pad under your thigh for about 10 minutes to help loosen the muscles. Then do your gentle stretching. It WILL come.

Please remember that recovery can take a full year!! You are 4 months out, and if you take it easier on your knee, by 6 months you will be surprised at how much more flex and extension will come all by itself.

Lots of folks don't have any PT. they just do the excersises that they are shown in the hospital on their own and have remarkable results..but in time dear one.

Now dry your eyes sweetheart, and know that we are here, and it really WILL get better.

Here is a big ((((((( HUG )))))) for you.
 
Kelsie, please let us know what the doc says on Friday. It sounds like you are doing everything possible to have a good outcome. We are here for you! Vickie
 
Cathy, I just did the weights on the knee with the ankle elevated. It didn't seem as bad this morning as it did yesterday afternoon. I'm about to go get on the bike for 10 minutes and do my half rotations. The exercises that the new PT assigned take about 30 minutes to complete. Last night was a pretty good night. I woke up at 3 and then again at 5, so I managed 5 straight hours of sleep and then two more after getting up at 3 o'clock.....How are you doing today? Do you go to PT on Mon., Wed. And Friday? Vickie
 
Cathy, we are both having a one month knee anniversary today! :happydance: Vickie
 
Vickie happy one month today! I haven't done any exercises yet. I had a good night except my back was killing me this am. It is laying on my back all night is not good. Glad your exercises were good today!
Susie It will come. Can you ask your doctor if you can go back to PT,and have them do an ultra sound? That is suppose to help with pain and swelling. Some people heal faster than others... My PT said he doesn't want my range of motion more than 130 because the replacement could loosen up. My other knee is at 140 and that is flat on the back of my leg. So every bodies numbers are different. My friend was back at the gym riding the bike at 2 weeks can bend and straighten his leg fine. I was still in bed at 2 weeks. He also use to do ballet and is extremely flexible. I look at where I was 2 weeks ago and what a difference. It will come!,
Cathy
 
Cathy, they did ultrasound on me yesterday also. I've never come across that before in physical therapy, but if it helps then I'm all for it! I'm a side sleeper too and it's been hard adjusting to lying on my back. I can lay on my side for about 30 minutes when we are watching tv, but that's about it....Vickie
 
Kelsie
Hopefully your knee is better! I have heard of other people having that done and had good results!
Cathy
 
Susie, I don't think that there is anything wrong with having a good cry! It will relieve some stress and you will probably feel better. It's too hard to hold it all in. Vickie
 
I have had the ultra sound before and so did my son. I am not having this time I don't know why. I see my OS on the 19th.
 
Kelsie...my ROM after 13 weeks is 120 and 0-4. Somewhere around there anyway! As far as the stretching, I also use a yoga strap around my ankle, lay on my stomach on the floor and pull. I do 4 reps in one set and two sets a day. It's done wonders for my groin too!! I can't believe how much better I feel! If you're so inclined, you might check out my latest blog where I talk about the top ten things that make me happily ordinary during this whole process. LOL! I love ordinary! :)
 
Laura I loved your blog! I just want to be ordinary too! Susie hope you are feeling better today! It is such a slow and painful process.
Cathy
 
Cathy and Vicki.... thank you for your encouragement it does help and yes sometimes you do juyst have to cry and it does seem to help let that stress out. I complain alot here sorry, but i know as well ive come so far. I need to look at that more, thank you again for all your encouragement.
 
Laura, that sounds like a very good stretch im going to add that into all the other ones im doing! Thank you this helps sooo much, everyone here. Hugs!
 
Cathy and Vicki.... thank you for your encouragement it does help and yes sometimes you do juyst have to cry and it does seem to help let that stress out. I complain alot here sorry, but i know as well ive come so far. I need to look at that more, thank you again for all your encouragement.
Susie you are so welcome! I hope my message helped! And that does sound like a good one I am going to add it too! As soon as I get out of bed!
Cathy
 
I must have missed out on the new stretch exercise? Which post is that? Vickie
 
Susie...we are at about the same point in recovery. I had bilateral replacements on jan 14, 2013. I totally get the crying part, as I break down for no reason. I have started taking pain pills again, and that seems to help. I guess I didn't think I was hurting enough for narcotics, but my OS said that I was having pain..just a different pain than after surgery. Truthfully..it has helped a bit. Sleeping has been a big challenge..but after some work, I have a routine (ok'd by OS) that works. I take a pain pill, a muscle relaxer, a Benadryl, and some melatonin. I get a good 6 hrs sleep (I toss about, but fall back asleep quickly). I hope things are getting better day by day...it is a long road! Longer than I expected, for sure

Hugs from Kansas!
 
Cathy, you should try the stretch exercise that Laura is referring to on your bed if the floor hurts. I have not tried the stretch on the floor because my PT said I was not ready for floor exercises???? I do this stretch on the table at pt but the strap is called a"Stretch Out Strap" that I purchased from PT.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom