TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelsie Lou I don't know if I would be driving if it was my right knee. I can get in and out of the car ok. Very creative and probably looks very funny. Lol but it works. I know how you feel my knee is achy also. Just can't get comfortable at all.
 
By the way I had my right knee done as well and im not drivng yet either grrrr.
 
The loss of my independence is probably harder to deal with than the pain... well, maybe not!! :whistle:
 
Sassysuzie,
It will come but sounds like your knee is so inflamed that you are not going to get the bend right now. As soon as the swelling goes down it will come. If your doctor isn't worried then relax.everyone heals at different rates not everyone is the same. Maybe you should be taking more pain meds. Pain could be causing the swelling too..
Cathy
 
I ask the 5 year old to do all the little things that I can't do. She loves helping me! I don't know what I would do without her. :)

And yea, getting into the car is quite the sight!! LOL If someone were to watch me, I look pretty goofy. Oh well. We do what we have to do. :blush:
 
I think for me I just need to see that maybe where im at, im not alone.... that might be where my frustration comes in. This might be a good place for me :)
 
Sasysusie,
This is a great place! I don't post much but it sure is nice reading what others have posted to know that I am normal.
~Kel
 
Hi Susie, Here is where I am at so far: I can bend my knee to 92, but it is very uncomfortable. When I'm walking, I have to concentrate to walk normally and not do a "peg leg". I can get my knee fairly straight, but it is swollen and will not allow itself to straighten out completely My OS is absolutely NOT worried about the bending. He says that will come when the swelling goes down. He wants me to make sure that I can straighten it as much as possible. .....I go for my first outpatient PT on Monday and also see the doctor that afternoon....I am not able to make a full rotation on the stationary bike? That was a real blow to my ego because before the surgery, I road it everyday! I am also fighting the feeling of being discouraged and thinking that it may not bend like its supposed to someday. I compare my recovery to everyone else. Sometimes it can be a little disheartening when I just don't "measure up" to their progress, but it also gives me hope that I will get there too someday. Please join us here on this thread and we can all encourage each other. That's pretty much what Cathy and I have been doing now for a few weeks :) .........Cathy, I'm still taking one or two 10 mg Percoset every 4 hours, muscle relaxer every 6 hours and a 10 mg time release Oxy every 12 hours. On average, I take about 8 Percoset in a 24 hour period. The pain level in my knee where we used to have the bone on bone pain is a zero. However, the other healing pains that we get stay at about a 4-5 most of the time even with meds. I can handle that ok. It's when it has those horrible shooting pains that zoom up to a 7 that make me wish I could just somehow escape this whole thing!.....Yesterday was a very rough day for me, but this morning it all seems tolerable. There is still a lot of the day left. There's no telling what it will feel like in a little while....Last night I did a Vitamin E massage on my leg and knee before going to sleep. Maybe that helped a little....We ran errands for about an hour this morning. I sat in the car some and also went into 2 stores. I purchased a Pedometer so I can see how many steps that I take in a day. It will give me a goal to try and increase the number each day. Vickie
 
The sensations seem to change, Vicki. Not so much pain, but still an awareness, tingling, an occasional twinge. The best Is that there is no bone on bone pain!
Isn't it amazing that there is no bone on bone pain? I told my husband today that the pain inside my knee was a 0, but the healing pain stays at a 4-5, even with meds. Maybe I'm just a big baby!
 
Vickie,
I don't think you are a baby! I think I am under medicated actually. The nurse had issues with my pain med. but the doctor and everyone at the hospital said take the meds. hopefully I dont run out again before I see the doctor again. My pain is at a 4 or 5 always and I get pains that if I am standing up my leg just wants to buckle. And if,I lift my leg,up straight horrible pain under my knee cap... I haven't hardley gotten out of bed yet but thinking about it lol.
Cathy
 
Cathy, Thanks for the pain comparison numbers. I do take a lot more pain meds than you do though, so it seems like I shouldn't have that level of pain. My sister-in-law always teases me and tells me that I'm a "mediocre healer". It makes me laugh every time she says it. There aren't that many expectations for a "mediocre" healer as opposed to a "fast" one.....I'm thinking that you are going to need to get out of the bed if you are going to drive over and get your Valentine charm today! Or.... you could always just place the order on the Internet and call it a day. Maybe you just need a day to rest. You've been doing a lot all week. :sleep:
 
I just took a long acting one I forgot I still had some the nurse acted like I shouldn't be taking them. I don't think I am going to make it to the charm place lol. Well off to take a shower!
Cathy
 
Cathy, Have you tried putting moist heat on your knee before going to sleep? It feels wonderful. My OS suggested that at two weeks. It helps make up for those warm baths that I'm missing so much. Vickie
 
I feel like I am jumping in the middle of your conversation here :blush:

Is heat a good thing when there is still swelling? I would love to put heat on instead of always ice. It just sounds more comforting.
~Kel
 
Hi Kelsie Lou, The OS just told me to rotate the icing and also the moist heat. Since I have added the heat, it hasn't changed the progress that I am making with the swelling. I use the heat before exercise/stretching and then the ice after. The warm feels SO good in the morning when my knee is stiff. I also use it at night when I'm lying on the bed watching tv. I'm sure that there is probably a limit on the amount of time that it should be used. I usually do it about 15 minutes at a time....You had your surgery at the same time Cathy and I did. Your input and everyone else's is always welcome. We can all encourage each other and compare notes! Vickie
 
Hi,
Well ended up doing nothing but going to the grocery store today. That was enough. My knee is sore and my son is leaving next Sunday for a job in Arizona until Oct so I am really bummed. It is a fire fighting job so he will enjoy it but I won't.
Hope everyone is having a good day.
Cathy
 
We ran quite a few errands today and my knee still does not like riding in the car. I just don't have enough bend yet. I've tried ice, heat and massage and none of those are working very well. It's time to stay off of it for a while and give it a rest....Will your son be able to come home for visits? Vickie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom