TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW....removing a toenail is gross!
From start to finish of my OR career, it was the only procedure I always had to look away from!
I can extend to zero, and my flexion is 130 in the left knee, 126 in the right
That is amazing for only 6 weeks out! You're a star!
But pain is still an issue, however..I didn't realize pain was the problem. Silly me.. I thought I was far enough out I was only "uncomfortable" so just took Aleve.
Oy! Why do people fall for all that advertising? Ibuprofen is a rubbish pain killer. Tylenol is much more effective and a lot safer!
BTW I've done a ton of crying in the last 3 weeks. It seems better now, but it doesn't take a lot to get me started.
You should both read this Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it. At your stages you are both prime for it.
 
Hi Sandi,
Wow both knees at the same time you are very, very brave! I ice all day off and on and take my pain med... I don't think I take enough at times...you're flex and extension are great! I have cried too more from pain and frustration than anything.
Vickie
You had a great nap.. I was sitting outside with my 3 dogs while the cleaning ladies cleaned.. My house was a mess! Hopefully you will get some sleep tonight! I need to get motivated to do some exercises...
Cathy
 
Hi Vickie,
How are you feeling tonight? I am getting ready to watch American Idol.. Really sore tonight! How did your exercises go today?
Cathy
 
In my exercises yesterday I added a lot more of having my knee hanging down to work on that bend. It was a lot more swollen up last night. It woke me up every 4-5 hours all night long, but last night I actually slept pretty well. I'm kind of groggy this morning, so I still need more sleep, but it's getting there! Are you headed back to the gym today or are you going to give your knee a rest day? Vickie
 
Hi Vickie! Well, yesterday was a harder day for me and who knows why. This morning I woke up early as usual around 4:30 but I feel much better. Today is my PT though, so I know I'll be down for the count after that. It gets old dealing with this though and to think I need the left one done! Eeesh! I can't imagine doing two at once!

Yes this waking up multiple times is for the birds!
 
Hi Laura, We were up every 3-4 hours last night too, but able to go back to sleep. I think that we got up at 5 this morning and it already feels like my body has gone thru an entire day's activities. I did my exercises this morning and now the knee is hurting and having those little "sticker like" pains it. I don't know if that is nerves or just sore tissue. Guess it doesn't really matter which it is. I just made myself a comfy place on the sofa to lay down, elevate and ice. It feels so good right now to have the ice on it.....It's really odd how one day we feel really good and the next, not so much. For me, it comes in waves throughout the day.....I'm waiting on my OS' office to call back about a pain med refill. I run out today, so I'm hoping that it gets taken care of. Otherwise, it could be a really long weekend....Good luck with your PT. If you feel up to it, let us know how you are doing. Vickie.
 
God morning ladies! Last night was horrible starting out. ...fell asleep quickly with help of Flexeril/Ambien. But woke at 0200 miserable. Came down to recliner, took amPercocet and Benadryl (can't take Percocet without Benadryl due to odd reaction). Anyway, sat with ice on knees until about 0400. Decided to lie on couch, and fell asleep till 0700. So I guess an ok but not great night. Would love 5 straight hours..oh we'll someday :). Today I am having a friend come over who is an RN/masseuse. She is gonna do some scar massage, and leg massaging. Then my mom is coming so I can practice driving my neighborhood in her old car (instead of my bigger,newer one). May go visit my peeps at work if my body/knees says ok. Lol. Mfunny...I never thought I would let my knees dictate my day, but oh boy do they, huh? Have a wonderful Friday!!!!!
 
Hi Vickie
What pain meds are you taking? I am taking oxycodone so they had to mail my prescription and it took a week.. But some of the others they can call in.you,do not want to run out..I just took Tylenol this morning so I can drive to the gym. So tired of not being able to drive! And I want to get my nails done they are really long and I can reach to cut them and they are catching on things. Then I will be done for the day,I am sure! Glad you slept better!!!!
Check in with you later!
 
Wow Sandi I am amazed you had both done at the same time! Why did you decide to do that?. Brave brave girl! Sorry you had a bad night it will get better!!!! Did you hurt your knees?...
Cathy
 
Cathy, It's the Percoset that I need refilled, so my husband will have to drive by the doc's office and pick it up. I will be glad when I'm on something that they can just call into the pharmacy. My leg has started aching all over. It's getting really cold here, so that probably has something to do with it. I tried icing my knee and it started feeling worse, so now I'm trying moist heat. I wish that I could just go soak in a tub of hot water. Do you know when they allow that again?
 
Hi Vickie ,
I don't know when we can soak in hot water. Went to the gym it was much easier than yesterday thank goodness. Now icing knee. Yes I am on the same med but without the Tylenol. I just took Tylenol when I woke up and it did a really good job. Just took some more. How are you feeling?
Cathy
 
I'm still feeling cruddy. It may take a little while for this one. Maybe I aggravated something when I was doing the bend exercises this morning.....You are doing so good with your exercises. Maybe that will be me too in a couple of weeks. I'm glad to have the new therapist next week and am looking forward to getting started with that....Also glad that it's almost the weekend. If I'm feeling up to it, we are going to go out tomorrow at lunch and celebrate having made it this far in the journey. It will be good to be out of the house! I'm beginning to look forward to driving too, but will have to put it off until I get the pain under better control....We have a really good chance for rain tomorrow. The wind is blowing really hard and it is only 50 degrees out there. It feels much cooler with the wind though....I'm not sure where you are in CA. Do you get the weather like SF or LA? I have an uncle that lives in Vallejo. I understand that it's outside of Oakland....We have visited Calif several times and really like it there....Is your husband feeling any better?
 
Hi,
We are an hour north of LA about 30 south of Santa Barbara. IT is in the low 60's here and looks like rain again.. I really love Ca. Not so much Ventura it has really gone downhill in the last 20 years. Our city has cut police and fire and says they have no money but then does the stupidest things and buys stupid art pieces. We have dragonfly bike racks at the beach that are place right in front of the area where the druggie/bums hang out. Anyway I want to move an hour south but it is away from the beach and my husband loves to surf. So we will see what happens.
The weather is nice here except the summers are foggy. We live up on a hill so we have an ocean view which is nice! You will get there!! I am sore now but sitting at home waiting for Fed ex guy for my son who had to go to work. He ordered socks and you have to sign for them lol. My husband is better but he got a tick on him on his back and that hurts worse than that where the cyst was removed lol. So I wanted to get my toes done but don't know if I am going to make it....
Cathy
 
I may have broken the hex of not being able to take a nap. I was lying here wishing that I could sleep and the next thing that I knew, I was waking up and had been asleep for a couple of hours. My knee was already hurting when I laid down, but when I woke up, it was screaming! Just another day of feeling great in the morning, then horrible, then in a while I will be ok again. I'm sure that the rest will help my knee to feel better and I'm thankful.
 
Hi Vickie.
II got my toes done today then I was done. Came home took pain meds and rested. Now I am watching Smash. Have you seen that show? I liked it better last season I don't know what's they are doings but it is not working as well.
How is your knee feeling? Did you get your pain meds?
Cathy
 
Hi Cathy, They did get the script ready for me. The nurse never called back, but the prescription was waiting there for us when my husband went by....Last night was a better night for me. I slept from 10 p.m. until 4 a.m. Six hours is a lot better than just 3!...I do watch Smash and agree with what you think about the seasons. It seems like they are trying to introduce too many new characters on the show and it doesn't make any sense.... You had a busy day yesterday!
 
The nurse told me today that the different pains would continue like this until about the 6 week period. Maybe we have the worst 3 weeks behind us.

The sensations seem to change, Vicki. Not so much pain, but still an awareness, tingling, an occasional twinge. The best Is that there is no bone on bone pain!
 
Hi Vickie,
Wow what great sleep. I didn't sleep so well my back and knee hurt lol. I just couldn't find a comfortable position all night. I am going to skip the gym today. So how much pain med are you taking. I just took Tylenol most of the day but pain med at night. They said 1-2 pills but each pill is only 5mg and I have to take 2. Are you doing anything today? I don't know if we are. My husband is getting me a heart charm for Valentines Day but since I couldn't go,with him to get it he said we would get it later. The store is in Santa Barbara I saw the charm on the Internet site so maybe we can go up there and get lunch.
Cathy
 
I too am experiencing so many "feelings" in my leg. I feel like I am wearing a lead sleeve over my knee - very heavy, thick, achy, crappy!!

I am so envious of you gals driving. I will see the doc on Friday but my ROM is only at 70, so I think it's going to be awhile yet. :sigh:
 
Lets see if I am doing this right... I had my surgery on Jan 12, 2013. Reading this forum im not sure if I feel better now or just want to go sit in a corner and cry. I am an active person and determined and always follow drs and therapist directions and never thought id have any trouble recovering from this. I had hip replacement surgery 2 years ago and it was pretty much text book but...... this knee ugh! I did the cpm machine for 3 weeks after the surgery and I did in home physical therapy as well. I did all of the exercises I was given never missed. I started Out Patient therapy and after just 2 sessions with outpatient I had an appointment with my Dr. he took one look at my knee and saw the inflammation he stopped out patient therapy. He wanted me to just continue with all my exercises I had been given. I am and I do each and everyday.... several of them. I also go for walks. My problem and my worries are my bending. On the cpm machine I could bend 110 degrees. but..............on my own ugh the bend is soooo bad. It feels so tight and as if it just wont bend ... I do the bend where you lay on your back and pull it into a bend as far as you can but ohhh that is hard. The dr. has told me to do that bend just to where its uncomfortable and hold it, before I was pulling it with a strap to make it bend to the point id have tears, he told me to absolutely stop that , that I was causing the inflammation in the knee and the fever. He feels I need to relax a bit and he says the bend will come, I still have a lot of swelling too so that does not make it any easier. I feel so frustrated at times. I can do a bike as long s the seat is not to close and I can go full rotation. But move the seat forward an ohhh its not going to go full rotation. Will the bend really come in time as long as I stay active and do all my exercises and walking?? I just don't know what to think or do. Reading this forum sounds like some are doing so good and some are about where I am. Im getting so frustrated and yes im still taking Norco pain meds maybe only 2 in a 24 hour period and yes still lots of ice. Sorry ive rambled I just am worried a lot. thank you for reading and thank you all for sharing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom