Bilateral TKR Vancouver USA Recovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linda, you are doing so well! My partial is nothing compared to your bi. At least you have passed the first 2 weeks and home. I am using a commode over the toilet which was delivered with walker. I have really appreciated it. Heal we'll!
 
Good to hear you are home. Hope things are continuing well for you.
 
Each day I am a bit stronger and going in the right direction. I am getting around to do what I need to, get dressed, grab something from the kitchen, etc. but some of what has slowed me down a little is the fear of pain (more than the pain itself). I think I'm still traumatized by how very bad the pain was the first few days and having a hard time putting that out of my mind. Well, I guess I won't be one of those to push myself too much this way. I do the exercises they give me and the movement in my knees is good so otherwise I will just move along at my slow and measured pace. I'm the turtle, not the hare.

It's a beautiful day here today and I have the windows open to hear the birds singing and the squirrels chattering away. After being in hospital/rehab for 13 days, I'm just so happy to be at home and on this far down the road. Hope all the rest of you who have had recent surgery are doing well.
 
Linda, Sure is good to hear from you. I do understand that initial pain I had to put it out of my mind tho. But, the good news is you are doing everything at your pace and not letting others hurt you!! Being a turtle in this race is the best way to run it!!! Slow and easy!!! :)
 
Yes so glad to hear your update! You are doing it right - take your time and you will see improvements every day. All of you bilaterals are amazing to me!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I did the exercises while the p/t was at my house but didn't push on the days she didn't come. Heal slides and walking from room to room was about all I did when I was at 2 to 3 weeks. Slow and steady wins the race. Keep up the good work.
 
The turtle wins the race. No reason to push and rush along. You are doing it the bone smart way and your way and that is all that counts. Sounds like you are doing great, moving around and taking care of yourself. Keep letting us know how you are doing.
 
Sounds like things are really coming together now for you, @VancouverUSAgal . Like others have said, it's the turtle that wins! Don't know if you got your toilet situation resolved. I had bought a bedside commode at my hospital's suggestion but haven't used it bedside. I took the frame and put it around my toilet. It gives me another couple of inches and grab bars to walk myself down and back up. I'm short legged so my feet don't touch the floor. But I can do my bizness with a minimum of hassle and pain. And it was pretty cheap. Might be something that works for you, too.
 
Oh, I finally just figured out that if I spread my legs (kinda like a giraffe drinking water) that I could get up and down off the raised toilet seat with less pain.

Today at PT I was cleared to walk around the house with just a cane. I'm getting stronger than I realize and am surprised when they show me I can do things that I wouldn't have thought to try at this point. I can stand up from sitting without using my arms to push. I would probably just keep doing things the "safe" way if they weren't showing me that I can do more.

Overall, I am very pleased at where I am for not-quite-3-weeks from surgery.
 
WOW, you're doing so well! I'm totally impressed and encouraged. It looks like I will have a few more months before I get my BTKR surgical date. I said I didn't want it between May and the end of October. Haven't heard yet, so I'll have the summer to continue preparing and checking up on the success stories like yours. Way to go!!!
 
Well done. I am so please how well you're doing. Keep up the good work!!! Fantastic news! Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
I'm tired today so I'm think yesterday's PT was pushing it a little. I will tell them we need to back off a bit. I know I'm doing well so I think we can take it a little easier. I will be going twice a week for 4 weeks and then we will re-evaluate. I'm still on Oxycodone and still napping regularly. But each day I have a little more time where I'm alert and able to read and think more clearly.

I really appreciate all who have shown concern and wish all the best to those of you who are or will be traveling this path. It's not a picnic but it's doable and the rewards will be wonderful.
 
Glad to hear you are home , now you can just kick back and relax. The first couple of weeks things are so surreal. Almost a twilight zone feeling to it in hindsight. Dont forget to stay hydrated and to eat healthy. I know appetite will be affected. Ensure is a great product however my GF really enjoyed most of em .She drank them all. Did you report those nurses that were cruel to you , that ignored your pleas for help, didnt help you with pain management ?? That was so un fortunate. well do take care . Best wishes
 
I have been reading your post and so sorry you had such a bad experience with rehab hospital. I had bilateral knee replacement 11/14/13 and went to a rehab facility afterwards and didn't have any problems. Was so glad I didn't go straight home.

I can stand up from sitting without using my arms to push. I would probably just keep doing things the "safe" way if they weren't showing me that I can do more.
I am so impressed. Like I said it's been 4.5 months since my surgery and although I stopped using a walker within 1 month and have never used a cane, I still walk slowly and cautiously and CANNOT get up from a sitting position without pushing or pulling myself up.
 
Glad you are taking things slow. Nothing wrong with turtles. I still walk slowly and like chairs with arm that I can use to get up easier. Be safe
 
Yes, some things I CAN do still make me nervous so I'm not forcing myself too much. Some things I wasn't able to do for years before surgery (such as standing up without using my arms) are going to take quite awhile to relearn. I keep reaching for the walker even though I was cleared to use a cane around the house because I just feel safer.

It's such a fine balance between taking enough meds to not have pain but yet wanting to be awake and alert more. I guess it's just something that's going to take time and that thing we all have trouble with - patience!

So far the only real depression I've had was when I was first in the rehab before I got through to them that I wasn't staying their long term and that I wasn't happy with the care I was receiving. I've been fine since I've been home. My son has gone back to work most days so I'm alone a lot but used to it. It has been interesting to see how some friends have been so very good about checking on me and helping and others don't seem to quite get around to it. I think some of it is just personalities and some of it has to do with what those people have gone thru themselves or watched other people deal with. The ones who've watched family or friends go thru serious illness or surgery are much more understanding and concerned. But I was mostly aware of this before my surgery and kept telling myself to take some promises with a grain of salt, and it's been interesting to see which friends have really been the most helpful. My son has done better than I expected since patience is definitely not his "strong suit" and like many young men, care taking is not exactly natural to him. He's a good person and has really tried to take care of me. I've liked having him come to PT so he knows the exercises and can help me with them at home. Thank goodness he's not the type to try to push me harder.

I hope all you Bonesmartees in recovery are having a good day!
 
You sound like you are doing quite well in our relative bilateral TKR worlds. I think some of us expect more from ourselves and want to be the "hare" when the 'turtle" is just fine and the preferred method. I do feel some pressure to get going ASAP and get my ROM as much as I can, only because I have to be back to work mid-end of June. I do see small improvements day to day, and of course, I do not have the OA pain I had prior to the surgery which is wonderful!!!

It is interesting how friends promise a lot before surgery, then afterwards...<cricket cricket>. From what everyone was saying I figured we would be inundated with food...suffice it to say, we would be starving if it wasn't for my fiance cooking, and the subsequent leftovers, plus the foods that I froze prior to surgery. To be kind, one of the people who would have done most, was actually in the hospital herself with a perforated bowel, and is now home recovering...she obviously gets a pass. We are likely the most frustrated in that I cannot do for her, and she cannot do for me. However, I am lucky that I have a friend who we hire to clean the house, paint and do other odd jobs for us. Since she was going to be at the house painting most of the time anyway, she helps me down the stairs in the morning, gets me water, food, etc. She's been doing our laundry (god bless her), watering plants and keeping an eye on the roofers for me. I will definitely be paying her extra because she has gone far and beyond.

Your son sounds as if he is making a wonderful effort...you're his momma and he loves ya!!! I know it will be a joy for him to see you moving freely and without pain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom