Bilateral TKR Vancouver USA Recovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was a whole bunch of reassuring nothingness - in short, he doesn't know! You poor girl!
 
Oh, having read so many stories on here, I know it could be a lot worse. I just have to laugh at the nonsensical statement the OS made. Today I saw a chiropractor who's really interested in trying to help me. He's baffled too because I have no pain except with weight bearing, but at least he's willing to try different things. I did have one very painful spot but that has gotten better since I've been massaging it. I have good ins. coverage for chiro treatment so I'll give it a shot.
 
Hi @VancouverUSAgal,

Chiro is well worth a try, particularly if the person appears to be genuinely interested. Like Josephine said the OS was a waste of nothing. I'm so glad you have a sense of humour about his statement. It makes it more bearable x xx

Good night speak soon
Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
I wouldn't rule out getting some additional opinions if there is a way you can do that with your insurance. Sorry, but I'm not too well versed in how the Canadian NHS works. But if you could get to a good revision surgeon, he might have some ideas about what is going on.
 
Thanks so much for thinking of me - you are very kind and considerate. I've actually stayed off here because I don't want to discourage folks. I am really not much better than I was prior to surgery. I still get lots of pain if I walk much at all. I'm still hoping time may help and it seems than I am having some very small improvement. I've been putting off my one-year follow-up visit because I hate paying a co-pay charge just to have the surgeon say he doesn't know what my problem is or what to do about it like the last two visits. Some have suggested a second opinion but one thing I'm absolutely opposed to is any additional surgery.

I will try to pop in and check on others here a little more often but was discouraged and figured I should stay away if I can't be encouraging to those considering surgery. Let me know how you're doing.
 
Hi @VancouverUSAgal

I know that you're against any further surgery but please think about your decision. I think a second opinion would be good. Josephine has a list of surgeons. If you contact her or tag her here she would only be too happy to help you x

I didn't want further surgery. I ended up with a revision. It was the best thing I could have done x x x

There are days when i struggle now and again but they're getting easier x I have ore good days than bad. Please take care
love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxoxox
 
Josephine has a list of surgeons. If you contact her or tag her here she would only be too happy to help you

Since VancouverUSAgal is in Canada, we actually are of no help at all with surgeons. The Canadian medical system operates on its own with very different rules from either the British or US medical systems. Josephine is able to assist our members who are in Great Britain. I can help with folks who are in the United States. But beyond that, it's pretty much up to members to research and find doctors for second opinions.

Vancouver....I do think you might at least consider that option, though, as Nana Moon suggested. Even if you don't need or elect to have surgery, it may be helpful to determine exactly what is going on.
 
Nope; @VancouverUSAgal lives in Vancouver, Wash. -- USA. Southwest Washington, across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon -- which is not to be confused with Portland, Maine.
@Jamie every now and then some poor soul thinks he/she's booked a trip to Vancouver, Wash., and ends up in Canada. Or vice versa. It happens less now.
Trivia: No income tax in Washington state. No sales tax in Oregon.
Hi, @Nana moon 27 -- now I'm going to double-check where Birmingham is!
 
Well, you're absolutely right, pdx. My apologies and I need to adjust my reading specs!!! I should have caught that because I am very familiar with people doing the same thing for Kansas City....thinking it's in the state of Kansas. Well, it is....sort of. There are two Kansas City's and one is in Kansas (the other across the river in Missouri), but it's Kansas City, Missouri that is the much larger city.

So, I stand corrected at least partly....I can help find a surgeon if needed in the USA; Jo really wouldn't be able to help out. But the Find A Clinic locator works great too!! You just type in the zip code for Vancouver, WASHINGTON STATE and go from there.
 
  • Funny
Reactions: pdx
Hi @pdx

I'm in Birmingham England. The centre of the country, not Alabama x

@VancouverUSAgal you don't have to post if you don't want to. Not all of us have had great recovery. If you have a read of my friends @busylizzies thread & @DogLoverx3's posts, then you will see what a dreadful time they've had too.
Take care x

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Well, I'm glad we figured out where I live!!! Yes, Vancouver, WA.

It's not that I don't want to post but I feel that most people on this site are looking for encouragement or answers and I don't feel able to give too much of either.

I saw my OS for one-year check up. I almost didn't go because I expected it would be a repeat of the last two visits and result in a co-pay charge for me to learn absolutely nothing. My expectations were correct. They took a bunch of x-rays and then OS said replacements look great and he doesn't know why I'm still having pain and so much stiffness. He did say the left knee (worst before & after) was a tiny bit looser than the right but not enough that it should cause a problem. I asked if I could have nerve damage. He doesn't think so. The only thing he said as a possible cause was continued inflammation from the excess cutting he had to do on the bowed left leg. If I still have inflammation at one year, when might it go away? No answer, but he would like me to come back next year. Hah! Why, so he can have the info for his statistics? I'm not really angry that the surgery has not had better results and I know many people have worse problems, but it is very frustrating that the OS seems to have no idea why and seems no ho-hum, blase about the whole thing.

In sum, I feel that my first 3 months after surgery went well and I complied with all recommendations and completed physical therapy as advised. Shortly after ending PT, it seems like all healing stopped at that point.
And, in reality, I am very little (if any) better off than I was before the surgery. I have a number of other medical issues which made getting approval for the surgery somewhat difficult and may be contributing factors to my poor result. In addition, I am very overweight which doesn't help anything and was one of the reasons I wanted the surgery - because I wanted to be able to exercise more. All in all, at one year out, I am in worse overall condition due to the down time from the surgery and the continued pain which makes much activity unpleasant. In my mind, I feel this surgery is over-sold because so many of us don't have great outcomes.
 
VancouverUSAgal,
Sorry your OS is not being thorough with your BKR's, suggest you take advantage of the find a clinic button at the top of the page and seek a second opinion from an OS that specializes in revisions, if you look in both the Seattle WA area and the Portland OR area you should find a fair amount of surgeons specializing in revisions. Don't know what insurance you have, but you might want to switch to traditional medicare next open enrollment for a year, you will not be as limited with provider lists, nor geographically.
Tag jamie, she can help you locate a revision surgeon.
 
I agree....time to talk with a different surgeon. Please don't give up on your knees! You need to see a good revision specialist. If you want me to help you find one, just let me know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom