Bilateral TKR Vancouver USA Recovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my goodness, Linda. I only today went back and read your horror story of the SNF!! Sounds like jail! I had to really convince them I was not ready to go home after one night so I stayed total of 2 nights in hospital for my partial. If I'd have had to go to where you went I honestly think I would have called the police or escaped. Glad you are home. Again, I can't imagine having two full TKR's at once
 
Great to hear you are happy and doing well. Things will progress slowly, just listen to those knees. I am not as patient as you. I get tired of asking for something to get done. My DH is good at making promises. If I have to wait more than 3 or 4 days and I will usually do it myself. ODIC . Take your time and don't worry about housework, it can wait.
Home PT was nice. Never had outpatient PT. only 12 visit for each knee, total of 24 visits then released by OS I thought that I would be going back at 6 months and a year. He told me to have a good life and walk one step more every day. I am doing good walking about 3 miles a day and using a stationary bike. Looking forward to warm weather and pool to open. Will be doing pool exercise then. You take care.
 
From what everyone was saying I figured we would be inundated with food

Exactly the same with me. I wasn't much concerned about it since my son can take care of himself and I was pretty sure I'd feel the way I do - happy to have yogurt and fruit after all that mystery meat/mashed potatoes/overcooked veggies in rehab. I know people mean well but it would be better if they realized their limitations and didn't promise things they don't have time for.

A friend called earlier in the week . . . "When can I come visit you?" I said come Thursday 'cause I'll be home alone all day. She said okay, great. Did I hear from her yesterday??? No, not a word. I kind of wasn't surprised but I don't know what to say next time. Maybe I'll just say, "Call me that morning if you still plan to come" and I just won't expect her till I see the whites of her eyes.

I'm glad you have had someone to clean and keep an eye on things. My son hired house cleaners for us, I've managed to throw in a couple of loads of my nightgowns and tee shirts and things, and Son does his own. We're getting by just fine.

Last night I slept the best since surgery - midnight to 7 with just one trip to the bathroom and to take a pain pill. I wasn't sleeping any better than that before surgery as I've always had to get up at night. One thing is that I'm still sleeping in my recliner because it hurts too much to have my legs perfectly straight on the bed and I haven't wanted to try getting something under my knees and then out and back again when I get up. Also, I have a CPAP machine and don't want to have to move it back and forth. Well, I bought this recliner for my recovery so I may as well get a lot of use out of it.

Hope you are having a good day, ParamedicGirl.
 
Your stories are exactly why I refused rehab when I was discharged the second time. That is why it's important to share the good, the bad and the ugly!!
 
@VancouverUSAgal .....Sorry your friend didn't come. :flwrysmile:It's a lonely road to recovery so I hope she comes to visit soon! It helps to know others are thinking of us when have been through this because it's a difficult road!
Glad you can do your laundry and so glad your son is there to be with you!
I know what you mean because, keeping my legs straight on the bed hurt me so much too but there was nothing I could do. I was not allowed for 3 weeks to put anything under my knees! The PT's said it had to do with flex...I don't know but I was at their mercy in the Hospital and Rehab!
Glad you are comfy and on the road to recovery!!!:yes:
 
@VancouverUSAgal I've just been catching up with your recovery and I'm full of admiration. Bilateral surgery must be so hard. I had a partial on 3rd April and I found the first few days really tough. Here's hoping your progress continues. Sue x
 
A bump in the road: Last night I noticed one of my ankles was red, puffy, and hot. By this morning it had moved further up my calf and half of the incision on that side was also red. Off I went to the emergency room. They said it was Cellulitis which I've had before, gave me two units of IV antibiotics, took a bunch of x-rays and sent me home with oral antibiotics. Doc said it's bad enough in the ankle, but if it gets into the knee, we could really have trouble. If it is not better by tomorrow, I'm to go back to the ER and they will admit me to the hospital. Please, everyone, send all your positive thoughts, prayers, or whatever my way.
 
So glad things are stating to improve. I had mine on Tues this past week and went to inpatient rehab on Friday. Had to fight for it because I refused to go to a Skilled Nursing Home based on problems my mother had other stories I heard, including yours. The rehab I'm in is pretty good and the therapists are on top of it.

I cannot put anything under my knees and in fact they put rolled towels under the ankles. With my tailbone issues it takes a while to get laying that way right an I usually end up on my sides with lots of pillow propping me up from behind an a pillow between my legs but never under. In fact they have the bed locked so I can only move thetop up and down.Lots of therapy exercises to helip flatten the knee.

I'm so glad your son is there to help you and I'm he is doing better than you thought. Mine comes on the 21st so I'll be rehab for about 10 days. Will have some home PT and hopefully ssome outpatient.

And congratulations on getting up without using your arms. At his point I can't imagine although mine has improved some today.

Hang in there. Pretty soon you will find yourself doing so much more than before.
 
Just read you last message. I'm am so sorry for this bump. But I'm glad you went to th ER an stayed on top of it. That all it will be is a bump, I'm sure that it will work out ok, but I'm sending prayers and hugs your way.
 
Linda I hope all goes well with the infection. I had the same infection in my knee the day after I came home from the hospital. It cleared up well with the oral antibiotics. Keep your legs elevated and iced. Swelling was the worst part of my infection. Try not to have your legs down much for extended periods of time. Sending you wishes for a speedy recovery! :console2:
 
Hi Linda, I haven't been on for a long time, just got caught up on your recovery. I'm so sorry for all the trouble that you're had and now the infection. I will be keeping you in my prayers that the it will clear up quickly. Glad you didn't wait to go to the ER. Will be watching to see how you're doing. It was good advice from Mimi, ice and elevate.
Take care,
 
I am so sorry to hear about the infection! It is a good thing you went to the ER quickly to get it under control. You will be in my prayers!
 
positive thoughts going your way for everything to settle down and heal. You be careful and keep that good attitude and smile. You are in our prayers.
 
Sending positive thoughts and prayers that the cellulitis stays where it is, and clears up with the antibiotics.
 
Hope all is well. My thoughts and prayers are with you!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hope things are better today.
 
Glad that you were proactive and went to the ER. Are you a diabetic?
My husband just got out of the hospital with cellulitis on his shin. Elevate and the right antibiotics were his cure. What antibiotics did they put you on?
My thoughts and prayers are with you,
Patty


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I am diabetic and I've had Cellulitis 3 times before so I knew what I was looking at. The oral antibiotic they gave me isCephalexin 500 mg. GOOD NEWS - it is receding so no trip to the ER today. I will call my surgeon first thing in the morning and see if he wants me in for an appointment. I am so relieved that it seems to be getting better.:happydance:

I was told to stay off my feet until this clears up so I guess I'll be skipping at least one PT. As I get better, I can start doing my home exercises.

Thank you all so much for your good wishes.:beer:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom