Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Vancouver USA Recovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think my OS had anything to do with picking this place. It was the social services person at the hospital and came and told me which three in our area would be covered by my Medicare Advantage program. I had to select from those 3. I also know this place received authorization from the ins. co. to treat me so I think they wanted to get the max number of "days" out of my ins. since all their staffing, etc. is based on how many beds are filled each night.

It's amazing how much people do not care about others even when they are paid to care!
The thing is that most of the staff have been fairly kind and seem to care - I think it's the system of these places which are run mostly by non-medical "bean counters" whose deepest concern is maintaining their own salaries and making sure the shareholders get the largest possible returns on their investments. I remember a "Frontline" or some other documentary about U.S. nursing homes that said most in this country are owned by about 4 large corporations. It is at heart entirely about profit. :headbang:

There have been some medical concerns since surgery but all seem to be resolving - oxygen levels at 100% this morning, BP about what it is usually, diabetes must be OK since they haven't tried to supplement with insulin. I suspect that perhaps the difficulty in getting my pain under control initially might be because I had been taking Vicodin for years for the knee pain. The OS said don't worry, that they could always give me stronger "stuff" in the hospital but I think he has a "normal" formula he usually prescribes and it certainly wasn't enough. But I made it thru that. It did cost me a couple of days of getting PT help in the hospital.

Each day I get a tiny bit stronger. I hope that with adequate icing, elevation, etc. I will continue to make the improvements that will gradually get me back to the kind of life I haven't had in years. It will be so awesome to be able to walk freely!!!:happydance:
 
Good for you to see the good in a difficult situation Linda! I did not know that checking out of the care facility against their wishes could have the insurance drop you.. so I understand now why you are staying until Wednesday. Sounds like you are getting better care now at least. Can not wait for you to get home to your own bed!
Yes, the one good thing about major surgery is weightloss! I went down to 124 from 135. Really too thin for my frame and none of my clothes fit anymore! I gained it back once I was feeling better and now I need to lose 5 pounds! Rather ironic! LOL! I am working on losing those 5 pounds now. Not working anymore( I retired after my surgery) I am just not walking and moving as much. I do the treadmill everyday and the exercise bike, but still I am not up to 10,000 steps a day yet. Nice thing about this surgery is that you will be able to move more and get around so much better with no pain! It is so wonderful at 10 months Post Op. You have so much to look forward to!:) Joan.
 
You're right they don't always cover a rehab hospital. Depends on the circumstances. Here where I'm at the doctor can make his recommendations but the final decision comes from the head of the rehab hospital. I find it unnerving that these arrangements cannot be made until after your surgery. I don't like not knowing where I'll be going. And I haven't found one skilled nursing home that I would want to be in. I'm more concerned about that than the surgery itself. If I didn't heat with only wood I'd just go home an make do. My house isn't big and all on one floor but the heat has me concerned. Maybe the weather will warm up enough that I won't need it. Right now I only light a fire in the AM and sometimes at night. Definitely not too late for snow though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hope things are looking better, @VancouverUSAgal . I won't know if I will go to a skilled nursing facility until after my surgery. Part of me wants to go directly home where I will be comfortable, but not cared for. Part of me hopes my hospital sends me to skilled nursing first - if they treat me right - where I'll be cared for, but not as comfortable. Since I don't control it, I will just go with the flow....:tada:
 
Since I don't control it, I will just go with the flow....
Yeah, that's kinda part of this deal.

This recovery is not day-to-day at this stage, it's more like hour-to-hour as to pain, movement, etc. Just when I feel I'm doing great, the pain escalates and the need to sleep takes over. I know that's similar to other surgeries I've had. What's different for me is learning to use two new knees at the same time.
 
((((((hugs)))))))) Pain is an minute to minute thing. Just stay ahead of it with pain meds. Keep writing we are all here to encourage you!!
 
Hope your day is great. You're nearing the end of your stay and will be home soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This all sounds really bizarre. I was so lucky with my rehab place. It wasn't exactly a nursing home. it's designed just for rehab from hip and knee replacements so there were no "sick" or demented people and all the rooms were private and everybody there was so helpful and so quick to bring you whatever you needed.
When you asked for pain medication you got it, when you needed help with the shower you got it. When you needed ice, you got it. The food was good, too.
Nobody was trying to get out.
They were all trying to get their stay extended -- and the manager of physical therapy was very helpful in working with insurance companies to get the time needed.
It was really wonderful, and it really helped with recovery. It would be really upsetting to be in a place where you couldn't get what you need when you don't feel so well to begin with.
I hope things get better for you very quick.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20. If you had gone home you would have been guessing if you would have been better off with this option. While I did not get into the rehab I wanted, the one I am in has been very good.

I have 1 hour PT, 1 hour OT AND 1 hour of PT spaced out between 8 am to 3 pm each day. Staff is attentive, their first priority was pain management as I had very little of it at the specialty hospital, food is so so, but friends have brought me healthy snacks...in comparison I have been very lucky and wish I could reach through the screen and pluck you out and over to my facility.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you for continued improvement and support.
 
I was one of those who never even considered that I would have to go to a skilled nursing facility (I'm relatively young, only doing one knee at a time, have a hubby at home to help). But my blood pressure didn't co-operate, and I ended up having to go to a SKF for a few days. I had NO choices, because I work at the same hospital where I had my surgery, and carry their health insurance. They have a skilled nursing unit there, (different campus, luckily closer to home), so I had to go there if I wanted insurance to cover it. I was fortunate that the care was excellent, and only had to be there for 4 days, but can certainly understand the frustration if care is poor and you feel as if you have no recourse. Linda, so glad things seem to be looking up for you!
 
baby steps to improving one day at a time. you will get there.
 
Linda, I looked up your place on the nursinghomecompare.gov site and it's decently rated; very few violations. Which is not to say you shouldn't file a complaint -- you should. Pain management definitely is a metric, and is respect. Big time.
I hope you get sprung on time Wednesday.
 
The one I was at only had 2 stars. Lots of complaints did not have any favorable reports. Even PT said they had bad reports from their people. I did notice some with very good reports. I will know ahead of time if ever needed. First choice will always be home.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad to hear that there has been at least a little improvement. I am so glad to know that you are breaking out on Wednesday and hope your visit with the o/s goes well. Post to let us know how you are doing on Wednesday. Good luck!
 
Today I had lots of good (but of course tiring) PT. Rode the elliptical bike thing for 15 min morning and 10 min. afternoon, walked the little 3-step flight of stairs a couple of times, and walked all the way to the gym several times. I've graduated to the 4-wheel walker and tomorrow will learn how to transfer into and out of an auto seat. They tell me I have very good movement and I just blanked out the numbers because I really don't care about that.

Wed. I go to the surgeon, get staples out and then home. They were getting all the paperwork ready today. After the PT report on my good progress, they have no possible way to try and convince me to stay longer. Then I will start the home part of this journey. I know there will be challenges there as well but the progress I've made so far is really, really encouraging. Two things have helped me get moving - the lack of help/assistance here and having to pee every 1-1/2 hours or so:groan:. Got lots of practice in on getting out of bed and using the walker to get to the toilet!!! I'm glad I brought along some anti-diarrheals and anti-gas pills because I've needed them. Friday I see my primary care doc so will be working with him on pain control from here on out.

Other than being pretty exhausted after my PT, this is the first day my head has been almost clear and I've been able to stay awake most of the day. Since my surgery was going to take more than 4 hours, they said I needed to have a general so I think that's been a factor in my feeling foggy-brained (well, in addition to the pain meds).

I wish I had brought more of those waterless shampoo caps which work pretty well. I wasn't supposed to get the incision wet but I've had no offers of help with washing anyway, so have just done the best I could with wipes, etc.

I appreciate all the caring concern and will let you know how it goes from here.
 
It may not feel like it yet, @VancouverUSAgal , but sounds like you are making great progress. From reading other people's recovery threads, I can guess that you will have more down days. But the Big But is this: you will have more and more good days, more and more progress, more and more looking at the surgery and nursing facility in your rear view mirror. It won't be long until you are home and the last nearly two weeks will slowly fade away! Keep strong!:console2:
 
I am so glad your nightmare has almost ended! I am also so glad you are very strong and doing what it takes to be able to get home and really rehabilitate!!!! On that facility... What a shame! Don't forget to turn them in after you get home! You can a make a difference for them. You be their voice when you are able. Can you imagine the people who have NO HOPE of getting out of that place! Shameful!
 
Did stairs, practiced getting into/out of car, & all set to get the heck out of this place today! To the surgeon's for checkup and staple removal and then Home Sweet Home. I'll probably be exhausted by the time I get home but it will be so wonderful to be home. :happydance::dancy::egypdance::yes!:
 
I am soooo happy for you! You are doing great!!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom