Bilateral TKR Vancouver USA Recovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad they got it controlled right away. That is a good antibiotic which I can not take allergic, total rash from head to toe. I ended with shot to counteract reaction. Skipping one PT won't hurt you. Home exercise is good, you can choose the best time or split it in smaller qroups. Glad you are better, take care
 
That's such great news! Continued prayers for healing and that you're back on your feet in no time!!
 
So glad to hear you are getting better. You have done amazingly well Linda and should be very proud of yourself! Awesome updates!!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
That is great news. you are doing so well. One turtle step at a time. :puppysmooze:
 
Checked in for the first time in ages -- so sorry to hear about your "bump." Please let your PCP know, and even though you're resting, keep up with ankle pumps and heel slides. You'll be tap-dancing in no time!
 
Hi Linda,

I just now got caught up on your thread. You are on my follow list, but I haven't gotten any alerts. I'll make sure to stop by more often.
I must say that I'm shocked and appalled at the treatment you were given. I know that some "skilled care" facilities unfortunately do exist that somehow go undetected in their terrible treatment of people. Sorry to hear you were at one. Wish I could give you a big hug and make things better! However I will keep you in my Prayers for a smoother recovery in the days to come. Please do not become discouraged, the worst is over. Take each day as a new beginning with a better view of your new life to come. Tom
 
So glad to hear that the cellulitis is coming under control. You have done so well, and so much, you just don't need any set backs. I've been thinking of you and sending you healing thoughts. Thanks for your great posts. You keep me motivated!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
So sorry you had to go through this.cannot imagine what you went through and I am so thrilled you are safely home. I've had cellulitis too. No fun at all but you got it early.
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile: Feel better
 
Thanks for all your support. I'm starting to feel like life may actually return to "normal" (actually better than the normal I had for many years). For others, these may have come sooner, I don't know, but they are still significant to me. I can get around the house with only carrying the cane around for security. I can get up from any chair with arms, and getting into and out of cars only requires a little use of hands lifting of my stubborn left knee.

I still can't stand for very long and sitting up straight with feet on the floor isn't comfortable for long, but I know these things will come.

As for my treatment at the "skilled nursing facility," I have put that issue (and their questionnaire) away until I am better and can look back on it objectively and focus on what I need to say to them. I've just put it out of my mind for now so I can stay positive and work toward complete recovery.
 
As for my treatment at the "skilled nursing facility," I have put that issue (and their questionnaire) away until I am better and can look back on it objectively and focus on what I need to say to them. I've just put it out of my mind for now so I can stay positive and work toward complete recovery.
What a GREAT attitude!
 
So sorry to read about your cellulitis, but happy to read it has cleared up.

Today is 4 weeks (28 days) post surgery. I haven't abandoned my walker yet, but do use a crutch (yes singular) to move around the house, and sometimes I ambulate without using anything. I am still bothered by the "charlie horse" type of pain in my knees at night, and in the last couple of days, my kneecaps have started to bother me more. BUT...it dawned on me that I went 3 days without any PT (Sat, Sun and Mon) and so the reason for the new pain, and increased stiffness/soreness is likely due to no PT. I walk quite a bit, but it's just not the same as the other activities. I will not let 3 days go by again without any PT.

In the book "Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation" they write about exercises utilizing a Brazilian futebol. I ordered one and did some of the exercises this morning. I definitely can see myself using this each day.

PT at noon and I am looking forward to it!
 
I had a minor meltdown at PT yesterday.:bawl: The OS wants me to reduce the pain meds and at the same time PT wants me to do more exercise. I started to tear up riding the elevator up to the PT place. When called in, I said, "We need to talk." I told him what was going on and that I am still having a fair amount of pain and he agreed to slow down on the exercise until I get thru this transition period off the heavy-duty painkillers. He took it easy on me and reminded me that icing will be even more important at this point to ease the pain. So, I definitely felt better when I left and was reminded how important it is to speak up. I pointed out that I needed new knees for 10 years before the surgery so had a very long period of decline and de-conditioning. On top of that, I've been heavy all my life and diabetic and there were lots of movements that I couldn't manage prior to surgery and that we need to take that into consideration. As far as walking distances (PT was concerned that I have no stamina), my son pointed out that I'm actually no worse than I was prior to the surgery as far as getting fatigued or out of breath. I'm not sure the therapist had really understood how bad off I was before . . . I told him I knew it was going to be a tough recovery because of these things but that doing too much just resulted in my walking less due to pain. He said moving the knees at this point is more important than building stamina so we will work on that later.

I also know from previous surgeries that you reach a point where you are enough better (out of the initial brain fog) to realize that you still have a long ways to go. I think it's partly that. I have made it thru the worst part but I'm still pretty uncomfortable a lot of the time and it's going to take time and lots of patience to continue the recovery. All along I have had quite a bit more pain than I expected based on previous major surgeries so I have relied on pain meds a lot more than I thought I would have to. At any rate, we have to deal with what we get! I'm at 4-1/2 weeks and this is where I am.:bored:
 
@VancouverUSAgal I think you're absolutely awesome. I can't imagine how hard bilateral surgery must be, you've had all sorts of setbacks to contend with too. You should be immensely proud of yourself; I think you're doing great. Hang in there.
 
The giraffe legs comment totally made me laugh out loud! That is me! I can do downward dog very well if I am on the floor with my little people at school.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I am still having good days and bad days. Of course, I'd love to skip the bad days but at least the good days are gradually getting better. I can't attribute the bad days to anything in particular as I keep pretty much to the same routine, so I guess it's just the random way of my healing. I've had issues with sciatic and piriformis pain that is adding to my discomfort (from so much sitting and tightening up against the pain I guess). I have a good, large vibrating massager/vibrator that helps with it. I'm going to ask my PT if there is a stretch that I can do in my present condition that will help.
:good-bad:

Neither OS or primary care doc want to prescribe more Oxy so I'm saving the remaining ones I have for those times when I really, really need them. It's so stupid the way US docs are hounded about prescribing narcotics to the point where they cut people off while they still need them. The good side is that it's great to have a clearer head and to be able to read and concentrate more. And, truly, I guess what I mainly have is a lot of discomfort and a strong burning and tight sensation in the knees rather than a sharp pain or even strong ache. It does get very tiresome at times.

I'm, finally sleeping in my bed at night for up to 6 hours (with a potty break) and then finish off with a couple of hours in the recliner. That, combined with at least one nap, means I'm getting plenty of sleep now.

I've tried getting out (besides to PT) a couple of times and went to lunch yesterday, but I just can't get comfortable without my knees elevated so my outings are short. I'm really looking forward to being able to get out for more than a few minutes. Well, we're supposed to have nice weather this week so hopefully I can sit out on the patio for awhile and at least have a different view than my same family room walls!:wow:

Best wishes to all who are on this recovery journey.
 
When I start to go out, it will only be places with booths. I can put my leg up on the bench seat and be comfortable. Just do not go with too many people, you need to keep that bench free for you.
You can ask to step down to tramadol for pain, they can call it in over the phone.
Glad you are able to get out, my first outing will be Wednesday to the OS office.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom