Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Vancouver USA Recovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
There you are! I hope you got to enjoy the little bits of sun the past couple of days (since it sounds like Monday wasn't much fun). I know you'll make the most of your time in rehab and be ready for our wonderful NW summer.
 
Congratulations on your successful surgery. I too have been looking out for you, as my op should have been the same day as yours. (It got cancelled at the last minute!) Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Been thru that - so sorry to hear it happened to you two.
 
I don't know if I have the energy to cove this tonight, but I feel I am trapped in a nursing home. My surgery was last Thurs. and the OS had intended for me to go straight. After a rough first 2 days, it was decided (who decided? But I did agree). I was moved on Mon. afternoon. All the folks from Admissions, etc. came to my room to welcome me and ask me all kinds of questions. They seemed to be very interested in whether I would have enough things to entertain me. I expected to have a PT evaluation the first day and be told exactly what I needed to accomplish before I could go home. My son felt I could have come straight home from the hospital but that possibly a day or two in rehab would be worthwhile. Well, I was run thru some paces and told what I needed to do to recover but not given specific goals. I was okayed to go to the restroom and walk around on my own since I was able to do those things on my own without much trouble. The first day the problems began. I would ask for my pain meds and I was lucky to get them within the hour. I could rarely get ice because they were "out." I quickly became impatient because the two things I needed their help with was ice/pain meds and those were the two things I was having trouble getting. I passed this on to several people and for a few hours they would be a little more responsive. I could tell they are truly understaffed, especially at night when the few patients with dementia seem to take all their time and care. Last night I waited 2 hours to get my pain meds in the middle of the night. So I decided to confront PT about going home and what things I had to do before that could happen. I have one step to go up to get into my home. First thing the PT started in lecturing me about the importance of the CPM since I reported it hadn't been used except twice in the hospital. He really did a high pressure sales job on me. So, I agreed to comply with the surgeon's order for 2 hours per day on each leg. The problem is that I had been put on the machine and left and when I needed to use the toilet I didn't know how to get out of the machine. I waited over an hour for help.

So, anyway (I'm sure I'm rambling), I then told the PT that I want to go home and just want to be helped to learn to do a step so I could get in the door. Then he got the head PT and they both worked on me mentally and emotionally, telling me that I would be in danger of falling if I went home, building up scar tissure, risking ROM etc. He even said that if want to go home, I should get up out of bed and get to work.

I asked what the process was for being discharged. More "big guns" came in. I was told that I would have to talk to Social Services and perhaps a facility doctor could okay a discharge. She left and came back 5 minutes later and said, "No they couldn't ask a facility doctor but would have to get a discharge from my OS. Someone came in and said, "Well, if we moved you to a private room, would you be happy? I said that wasn't what this was about. After being told there were no available private rooms, suddenly several are supposed to be free tomorrow.

After thinking about it a bit, I called my OS office and asked to have a phone conf. with him. I immediately got a call back from his nurse who wanted to know the situation. She then said, "Well, he will just tell you to come for your appt. next Wed. and he will evaluate you and probably discharge you then." I said it doesn't make sense because he was planning to release me to home from the hospital. She just reiterated what she had said and gave me the pitch about enjoying being taken care of, meals provided etc. I said I need to get home so I can control my environment and get pain meds and ice. Everyone seems to think maybe it happened once or maybe I'm just drugged and delusional, but I have been writing down when I've requested meds and when I got them, etc. By this time it was evening. Did anyone come to help me with the CPM? No. I settled for ice which after 3 requests was one ice pack. I even brought in my own ice packs because they were so low on them but they now seem to be lost somewhere or no one is willing to go get them from wherever they stashed them. Now I requested at 10 pm to have help putting the stockings back on because I had received no instruction on them. That was 10 and it's now after midnight. I pressed my light a few minutes ago to ask for pain meds.

Tomorrow morning my son is going to contact the OS to try to talk to him. I don't know if I can wait until next Wed. to get out of here. I don't feel like it's contributing to my recovery except by making me so miserable that I am pushing myself harder. I'm going to ask to speak to the Social worker from here first thing in the morning. I even did some research on being trapped in a nursing home and found out that it's actually a real situation where a person agrees to be admitted and then has trouble getting released.

Oh, one other thing. Shortly after my last go-rounds with folks this afternoon, I saw my doctor walking down the hall. I had been told he wouldn't be seeing me here, but I called out to him as he passed. I believe he heard me but just kept walking. My friend was here and she ran down the hall after him but he went into key card protected area. My suspicion was someone had called him to report me being a problem but perhaps it was just coincidence. This is a very new facility near one of the surgeon's office and I wonder if there's a financial connection. I should of gone to the receptionist to find out if she would tell me whether he was on site.

I'm sorry for this long, sorry note. I don't know what to do. If there's something going on, how long and hard will he/they make it for me to get released. Will I have to file some kind of appeal? I can just wait until next week but there's no guarantee he will release me then. It's strange to me that I won't be transported to his office unless I pay for it, so it's safe for me to get in a car to go to the OS but not to go home. I'm truly not a crazy person but I will be if I'm trapped here for too long.
 
Sorry to hear you are going thru all this! I would be getting myself dressed and out of that place. Something does not sound right. Take care Linda and let us know what happens.
 
So sorry you are having to deal with this and trying to manage your pain with little help. I would get your son to work on your behalf to get you discharged to his care. And then get home and get on a regular pain meds schedule and home PT. Don't ever feel bad about the long posts or venting. That's what we are here for. Best of luck today!
 
Linda, you sure don't need all that additional stress. My experience in a situation when you or someone else is in care is that an advocate is needed. Midwest girl is right - get your son to come and be that person for you. Get him to talk to the social worker, if you haven't already. The social worker should have a way of getting your OS's attention. Your son is one step away from your situation and can tell them what he observes is NOT happening as it should. Get him to show them your well recorded notes of what hasn't been happening. Let him speak for you. While he is fighting your battles, try to rest, and take care of yourself as best you can in that horrible situation. My heart goes out to you.
 
I am so sorry you are having to go through this! The surgery is hard enough without having to deal with these stresses on top of it. I pray that you will get to go home soon so you can ice, elevate, and take your pain meds on a schedule. The CPM is pretty heavy, so once you get home, have it placed on a bed where you can get into it without having to move it every time you want to use it. I placed mine on a king size bed and just scooted over to use it and then scooted back over to sleep. Scooting will probably be a little difficult at first. You are in my prayers.
 
While I don't exactly what you can do...but my thoughts are with you. There has to be away to fix this.:console2:
 
Oh dear. I really can't believe how you're being treated! It sounds absolutely appalling. Definitely get your son on the case; I hope you get home soon.
 
Linda I AM SHOCKED!!!! THIS IS HORRIBLE!!!!! IF all else fails you have the right to SIGN YOURSELF OUT!!!! If all else fails call a taxi! I am so so sorry to hear of your problems but I can certainly understand how it can happen! People don't do their jobs and don't care and etc....I can see where you feel helpless too! It's uncaring people who don't want to work and it's also about making money. I agree with the others get your son to work on your behalf! If my surgeon did that to me I would freak out! NONSENSE!!!I PRAY it wasn't your OS..... :-(


First thing the PT started in lecturing me about the importance of the CPM since I reported it hadn't been used except twice in the hospital. He really did a high pressure sales job on me. So, I agreed to comply with the surgeon's order for 2 hours per day on each leg. The problem is that I had been put on the machine and left and when I needed to use the toilet I didn't know how to get out of the machine. I waited over an hour for help.
I really like my CPM machine and DID use it for 2 x's per day at 2 hours per day per leg.....I just went to half that!!! But I understand because I got stuck @ 1:30 am and couldn't get out can I say THANKFUL FOR PULL UPS!!! I didn't want to do it but what's the alternative??? They don't like cleaning up after people either! So I would rather have an accident in one of those! I bought my own before I went to the hospital just in case!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Midwest girl is right - get your son to come and be that person for you. Get him to talk to the social worker, if you haven't already. The social worker should have a way of getting your OS's attention. Your son is one step away from your situation and can tell them what he observes is NOT happening as it should.
:iagree::iagree:

Oh dear. I really can't believe how you're being treated! It sounds absolutely appalling. Definitely get your son on the case;
:iagree::iagree:


KEEP US POSTED KEEP GETTING WELL and HANG IN HERE FRIEND WE WILL BE BEHIND YOU!!!!! I am praying for you!!!!!!:friends:
 
Sorry to hear of nursing home trouble. I went through similar problem. Food and meds. I had my own ice machine never used it there once. Waited over 4 hours for pain meds. and help to bathroom or pen pan. peed my self and never had wash cloth or towel to clean myself. :shocked:My daughter got me some of those pks to take a bath. Never had legs elevated. My daughter call my OS and told him I needed a fax sent so I could be released and I wasn't going back. Now I am fighting over a $6000.00 bill.
I cryed and did what I needed to leave. I wished I never let them talk me into going there. You will be better at home. Please keep us informed.
 
Get your son working on getting you out of there. If he can say he will be there with you at home that should help.
 
Get out now! I read about those places an opted to go home even though my husband had to work. You have the drive to do your own PT for now. I didn't have an ice machine or the leg machine and my knees are fine. My OS said to sit on the side of the bed straightening, then pushing back on the side of the mattress would do the same as a bulky machine. You need to take care of yourself and put yourself ahead of everything and everybody. Please keep us posted. If I lived near you I'd come and get you out of there!
 
I got trapped on my cpm too , however I only had 1 knee replaced. And it was like 50 hours after surgery. Had no idea how heavy it was. Its so sad to hear about those conditions at the rehab center. Its so unacceptable. The 2 things you need most are being with withheld. Meds and ice. Ironically my situation was the opposite . I wanted to stay at the hospital and not go home. They booted me out in 48 hours. I pray things turn for the better for you. You have been so patient and prepared for this . Only to get sub standard treatment. Knowing what I know now I would grab a wheel chair and make a break for home . Call your son and his friends for a jail break !!! Best of luck .
 
@VancouverUSAgal , hope today is a better day and your son has you home.:ok: Please take care and let us know how things are going. Our prayers go out for you. :friends:
 
Hi @VancouverUSAgal, I know exactly how you feel! After one of my hip surgeries, I decided it would be a good idea to go to a Rehab facility for a few days before going home because I was ordered not to put my full weight on the operated leg and I was having a hard time with that. I had lost my balance in the hospital and fell backwards and put my full weight on that leg and all H*ll broke loose. Took me down for x-rays and called the Dr., etc. Well, right from the first minute at Rehab, I regretted my decision. I had a terrible time getting my pain meds! I would ask for them and then wait for an hour and then push the button again, only to be told they would get to me when they could! I needed help with absolutely everything at that point, but they were treating me like a person who had hip replacement and needed to get up and start "working it". My condition was that I had my prosthesis taken out and a "spacer" hip put in and I was on a IV antibiotics with a pic line in my arm. I would have that pic line in for the next 6 weeks and then another surgery to put another new prosthesis in if the infection was gone. My hubby made the mistake of talking to the head nurse about my situation and then it got 10 times worse. The nurses wouldn't talk to me and were even slower to respond! Help going to the bathroom during the night was very difficult to find. I did the same as you in that I asked what I had to do to get out of there. I was told I had to be able to pass all the PT requirements before they would discharge me and if I discharged myself, more than likely my Insurance wouldn't pay for my stay. The next time I went to PT the therapist literally threw me down into a low auto shell that they had there in rehab and told me I had to be able to get myself out of it before I could go home and I had to be able to walk at least 75 yards. My car at home was a smaller SUV that had a seat just the right height for me to slide in and out and I had never had any trouble with it. Well, let me tell you getting out of the low auto seat in Rehab almost killed me!! I was screaming in pain and my hubby was pulling on me and the therapist was pulling on me and they managed to drag me out of it finally, but I thought I might just die sitting there in that seat forever!!!! I then got myself up and marched down the hall until she confirmed I had gone 75 yards. Went back to my room and cried and cried. My hubby and I told them I would be going home the next day and to get the necessary paperwork ready. The next morning I woke up and my leg was twice the size of the other one!! I quickly pulled on my pants and didn't say a word about it to the nurses, got my discharge and we went home. I have never been so relieved to be in my own home with my sweet hubby taking care of me! It tooks days for the swelling to go down, but it was worth it to be able to go home. Sorry for this long rant, but I wanted you to know you CAN and you must get yourself out of there. You will do much better in your own home. Please let us know how it goes today. I am praying for you!
 
I am so sorry you are going through this. I agree that you need to have your son as your advocate and sign you out of the rehab. I was in rehab for 5 days and had issues with getting pain meds on time too. I only got ice when the PT got it for me. I had a family meeting on the 4th day. My husband and I agreed that I was going home the next day regardless of what the social worker and PT said. Luckily they agreed but my husband was taking me home even if it would be against medical advice. You need to be home where you can be comfortable and get what you need. Your recovery will be so much better.
 
How are things today? A lot of surgeons don't use the machines at all, FYI. Do heel slides & ankle pumps. Leg lifts.
Here's the BIG GUN: File a complaint with the state/feds. Seriously. Adequate pain control is a metric these places have to meet. Patient respect/autonomy. On and on and on. (This is for all nursing homes that get Medicare money. The states handle the complaints.)
Here's the phone number for Washington state: 1-800-633-6828
And here's the website with lots of info, including a form: https://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPerm...viderorFacility/FacilityComplaintProcess.aspx
The CANNOT retaliate or they'll be in even more trouble.
 
Thank you all so much. It continues to be a real roller coaster but at the moment I'm feeling good because I just walked up the 4" stairs with no problem so should be able to do the taller ones by next Wed. when I see my OS for follow up. I especially appreciate your response, Mimi, because it's easy to imagine that one is becoming paranoid.

Every day has been a series of confrontations and different "stories."

I'll entertain you, if you're interested with a few tidbits. Yesterday they moved me to a private room (an attempt to appease me without actually providing adequate staff to bring ice and pain meds on time. Wonderful. But they didn't move the over the toilet seat/riser thingie from my other room. When I asked for it, I was told that they can't move a dirty piece of equipment into a clean room. Okay, so bring me a clean one, I say naively. Well, there are no clean ones, but they will keep checking. Finally I couldn't wait any longer and used the regular toilet. I managed it but it hurt a LOT. So, I continued to ask and they continued to say they were checking. By evening I told the CNA to bring someone in that I could talk to. She almost burst into tears and said she'd go check again . Same response. I said, "Look there has to be someone who can get one cleaned and get it in here." Apparently the thought of having to take the request up the ladder was even scarier than breaking the rules, but finally she found one, said she sanitized it (at this point I didn't even care!) and brought it to me. So one whole afternoon spent battling for a piece of equipment that should be the most basic for any "rehab" facility.

More later . . .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom