Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Vancouver USA Recovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG!:sos::headbang::beg: They do not want to let you out as you are nothing more than money$$$$$$$ to them. I would get out as fast as possible! It sounds horrible to be mistreated while just getting over major surgery. So sorry you are dealing with such incompetence and neglect. I hope when you get out you go to a lawyer and sue them.What you have written here is enough evidence. What is the name of the care facility....?? Name it here so it is on record!
 
OMG- the toilet riser is essential at your stage of recovery! I can't believe you actually managed to use a regular height seat. I am 6 weeks out and I can't do it yet and I only had one TKR. Unbelievable!
 
:iagree::iagree: With both @gazelle7777 and @Mimi2u !!!!The more I read the more I feel sad......:sad::sad::sad::sad: and angry!!!:hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy: Keep on them for what you want since being "nice" doesn't work!!!! Are you still in contact with your son?
HANG IN HERE!!!!
 
I'm just catching up, @VancouverUSAgal , and like everyone else, I am appalled at your treatment. You do need a strong, vocal advocate and a threat to report the facility to whatever agency Washington State uses to license care facilities. They can't keep you there against your will and they are legally required to meet care standards. I'm pulling for you that they do what they are supposed to do or let you go home!
 
I'm so sorry for all of the trouble you've had. I can't imagine why they refuse to let you go home. And that your OS has not backed you. This story is the reason why I'm fighting to not go to skilled nursing and instead to the inpatient rehab attached to the hospital. They are set up for the type of rehab needed. Tomorrow I'm going to double my efforts to go to the right place.

I hope that your son can get you home so you can get some decent care. And I agree, they definitely need to be reported and possible legal action. Lots of rating sites on line and I would be sure to post as much as you can on them. No one should have to go thru this.

I hope you make it home some. And please take care. My thoughts are with you.
 
I am so sorry. Hope you get to go home soon.:hairpulling: :hissy:Never realized how many people had problems with nursing homes. :yikes::shocked:I was suppose to go to a special rehab hospital but insurance wouldn't pay for it. Now they are refusing to pay for nursing home bill. :scratch: Be sure to watch your bill:skep::skep: they tried to charge me for equipment that they didn't supply.:headbang:
Hang in there. :puppysmooze::kittykiss:
 
General update on the situation here at "Manor Care" = I told them yesterday I was going home after my post-op with OS next Weds. NO MATTER WHAT. They don't want me to sign myself out, of course, because then there would be problems with billing, possible complaints or lawsuits, etc. So, I think I finally got thru to them (but then I have thought that several times before). Yesterday the discharge coordinator was in here and assured me they would have the paperwork completed by my discharge by 10 am on Wed. (OS appt. 11:20). I am going home after that appt.

Reasons I'm going along with this = I am now getting my pain meds on time and without long delays (I think the move to another "wing" helped greatly because of the different personnel over here). I am really doing well in terms of the surgery despite my treatment. It has actually spurred me to be more active than I might have been. I cannot believe the progress on day 9 from acute pain in the beginning to being able to get to the toilet and do the walking I need to do to get dressed, straighten out my bed, etc. The PT has been good, actually. They haven't hurt me or pushed me too hard, it was just difficult to get them to see that I didn't want to fool around with tiny little increments of improvement but to learn to do stairs and go home. I feel very good about the progress I've made although I was told even in the hospital that I was moving well. They haven't fixated on the numbers but have commented positively on my flexion and especially extension. I am able to move around enough now so that I'm not miserable, I can dress myself and I'm on the road to recovery. I know I still have a long ways to go but I believe that I can continue that path at home. They are supposedly going to set me up for home health care and in-home PT for a period of time. I might get better PT by going to a facility, but after all this I just want some time to be at home, rest and recover. Then I can get into out-patient PT and continue the improvement. What's difficult is I'm still getting all the little comments about how showering will be more difficult at home (I can't have a shower until the staples come out Wed.) and how there won't be railings at my door to help me get into the house, etc. I think it's just all part of their philosophy that patients should stay in rehab for lengthy periods of time or their money-making scheme, I don't know which. If I hadn't found Bonesmart and read all the many, many positive stories of patients managing their own recoveries at home, I might have believed that I will be endangering myself at home.

My son is a gentle and loving soul who tends to see the best in people and we both realize that we should have asked more questions in the hospital and not just accepted the idea that I "needed" to go to this type of rehab.
My son and friends are committed to breaking me out of here should they try to throw up any more roadblocks (and they tried until I said I'd sign myself out).

At this point, my experience has reinforced what I said before surgery and should have kept in mind in hospital (but strong drugs make it difficult to stay focused): If there is a joint replacement rehab, that could be a good thing but DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET THEM TAKE YOU TO A "SKILLED NURSING FACILITY" unless there are clearly other medical reasons that require it.

As to Bilaterals in general, again my experience really follows what others on Bonesmart have said - The first couple of days were bad but I needed both done rather badly, and now both knees are replaced and I'm on "the other side" and picking up speed.
 
Just another note - still can't get ice but they're going to order more gel packs :gaah: (hopefully that will help some future patients) but I'm having my visitors bring me ice. I have been able to easily elevate my knees with the bed. My swelling has gone down a lot, incision looks good with no bruising. :egypdance:
 
Glad to hear you are doing well and going home after seeing your OS. You will do fine with Home Health. I escaped on Christmas eve and HHC came the day after Christmas. They were very efficient. I had a nurse come 2 times and had HHC come 3 times a week at first, then 2 times a week for a total of 12 visits each time. 24 visits for both knees. Take care and keep up the good work. :yay::yay:
 
That is all good news, Linda! It sounds like you have them at least attempting to meet your needs. Don't let up either! I think your advice to future patients about only going to a facility that is geared towards joint replacement patients is right on. I don't care what they do from now until Wednesday, I still think you should report them to the proper authorities after your discharge. If they are not capable of caring for bilateral knee replacement patients, they shouldn't admit them. I hear you about the "fog" of all the pain meds right after surgery. I get very "weepy" and have problems even getting the words out when I am like that. I know what I want to say, but just can't get the words out because of being so weepy. I am a very capable professional person, and it makes me feel so vulnerable being in a situation like this. I have had many surgeries on my hips and now my knee along with some other unrelated surgeries, and I truly think it has affected my self confidence and feelings of self worth. If I can work up the nerve, I still need to have my left knee and right shoulder replaced. But as long as I can get a Dr. to give me some Vicodin, I will hold off on those!
 
VancouverUSAgal, I am glad to hear that your continued self advocacy is paying off and you are getting at least some of the care you deserve. Your advice regarding skilled nursing facilities versus more specialized care facilities is sage. My surgeon was adamant about me either having at home PT with the company they use for all their joint patients or do outpatient PT. The reasoning: His patient's did not do well in skilled nursing facilities. As a result, I am doing outpatient PT. I agree with others that you should, if you are so inclined, file a complaint about the treatment you received. At the very least, it could potentially prevent other patients from being treated so poorly. I am also keeping you in my prayers for your continued progress!
 
You have such a good attitude Linda with all you have been put through. Personally, I would have had my husband come and get me.... take me home no matter what they said and Monday I would be finding a personal injury attorney for negligence in care. That is just me. You are being more cooperative than I would be in the same situation. I can not wait until you get home safe and sound! Joan
 
Linda, reading your story has made me so angry. No-one should ever be treated the way you have, especially after undergoing such major surgery. I truly hope you manage to get home on Wednesday. My thoughts are with you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Vancouver USA Recovers
Linda, just catching up with your thread. Hope that the jail break was successful and that you're now at home where you can truly begin recovery.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Linda , you are one tough cookie !! You inspire alot of people here. Your perseverance is commendable. And through it all , you have remained upbeat and positive. I hope from this point forward , things get better. Ankle pumps and very light heel slides ! I went to the movies yesterday and my new knee held up like a trooper. I was pleasently surprised. Im sure you have your house all set up . It will be great when you get home on Wednesday. Keep up the great work .
 
Glad to hear things are better and that you will get to go home. You have also reinforced my feelings about "skilled nursing care". I am fighting that and won't know if I've won the battle until I'm in the hospital.

I've said I will refuse to go to one, but my concern is if I'm denied I can't go home because I live aloneand my son will not be there until later. I also heat with wood and would not be able to even heat my house on my own. (I'm researching the ones now and am totally dismayed at the reviews I've found. Even Medicare doesn't rate them high.)

I'm so glad that you have your son nearby and friends that can get you out and take care of you. Hopefully the next few days will be better and you will be able to continue to improve.
 
You have also reinforced my feelings about "skilled nursing care". I am fighting that and won't know if I've won the battle until I'm in the hospital.
I truly hope I haven't scared people who have no one at home to care for them to the point where they don't get surgery or something. I would start exploring other options thru your insurer. Maybe you can somehow get a full-time attendant at home for a week (nursing student or something?). Maybe you can find a deducated joint replacement rehab in your area. Explore all your options and make sure you have a clear agreement with your OS as to EXACTLY where you will be going under which circumstances. If the ins. companies would only pay for a few more days in the hospital, it wouldn't be such a concern. I didn't feel confident to go home after 4 days but I sure wish I'd looked harder at the alternatives.

I was told (but can't swear to accuracy) that Medicare will not pay the bill for the nursing facility if you sign yourself out against medical advice. I didn't want to take a chance on that either. We will see what the folks here have to say on Monday when (if) they come to update me as they promised as to the discharge paperwork, etc.

My son and a friend came to visit this morning and I sat up a bit too long and began to get real cranky. I think I was asleep before they were out the door. It's amazing that our bodies heal so well from this kind of trauma but also amazing how much it drains us as it does so. Then another visitor this afternoon whom I wisely kicked out after an hour. No matter what, it's just more difficult to relax when you have visitors. We had no therapy today so I used the CPM for an hour but can't tell that it does anything. I slept better last night - as long as 2 hours at one stretch so that's progress for sure. I had general anethesia for my 4-1/2 hr surgery so I'm probably just now getting all that out of my systems. Don't have much appetite but I'm managing to choke down a sufficient amount of the lovely :heehee: food provided. Hopefully I'll come out of this with some weight loss to make up for everything else.

Don't worry - this place will definitely be hearing from you after I leave.

Thank you to all my Bonesmart buddies. I truly feel we should have a special club after going thru this experience. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have this surgery without having found this website. Again, all my love to all of you out there!:angel:
 
Linda I AM SO HAPPY TO READ YOUR UPDATE!!!! You have been on my mind constantly after reading of your treatment! It's amazing how much people do not care about others even when they are paid to care! I am so glad your son is there and that you have put your foot down over all of this! GOOD LUCK with things getting better! Just having the meds on time is key! Next ICE......Hang in there and know many of us are thinking of you, praying for you, and wishing you much needed rest and care!!!! We will be here waiting for more of your awesome updates and I fully agree......with this........

Thank you to all my Bonesmart buddies. I truly feel we should have a special club after going thru this experience. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have this surgery without having found this website. Again, all my love to all of you out there!:angel:[/quote
:iagree: ]:goodpost::iagree:
 
So glad things are improving and you are doing better. I'm sure you will be thrilled to go home this week.

I've heard the same thing, Medicare won't pay if you sign yourself out. Yet they won't approve before hand. All I can do is research them ,present my case an get my doctor behind me. The rehab hospital actually gave me some pointers to indirectly help the decision. But I'm checking on a couple of other places also just as a backup.

I do hope that things to continue to improve. I look forward to reading more of your journey.
 
STOP THE PRESSES!
If you're on Medicare, coverage for a "rehabilitation hospital" might be a problem. The rules are strict, and your surgeon would need to certify you need the extra level of services/have more issues/blah-blah-blah.
Not all SNF's are alike. Some focus on rehab and do a darned good job. It's really wrong that @VancouverUSAgal's OS uses one that doesn't seem to have its act together. I hope you give him "feedback" at your visit Wednesday; he needs to know.
And please please report this place. You'll be doing everyone there, and future patients, a big favor.
PS -- You can check out all US nursing homes on medicare.gov Look for nursing home compare.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom