TKR Update on Slower Recovery

I also ended up with the MUA with my first TKR. So I feel like I’ve hit a block wall. I feel like such a failure. But then realize everyone is different and I guess my body forms adhesions easily. My other knee eventually got better and so will this one.
This is so true. You are not a failure, you've just hit a snag. MUAs are sometimes very helpful as you know from your first knee.
 
Thanks everyone sometimes I guess we just need to be able to vent this frustration that builds as our body over all starts to heal, except the knee. I sadly thought by changing my OS and doing things differently I would miraculously have a different outcome, lol. Pretty funny, right! At the beginning of this recovery it did seem like things were better. No CPM machine. Trying to walk every 1 1/2 -2 hours. My surgeon was so sure this would be my answer to recovery from my last knee. Part of my dilemma is do I wait it out longer but the worry is an MUA is probably safer earlier on then much later. Trying to decide can I safely wait till I’m back from vacation on August 18. Leaving on the 8th of August or do I try to get it done before I leave. Then I worry will I be able to function if done earlier while I’m away. Haven’t seen my family in 2 years! I can’t remember how long the MUA set me back on my last knee! Ugh! Decisions, lol! Wouldn’t it be nice if God would tell us what to do, lol.
 
He does! It’s called inspiration - but we’re not very good listeners :heehee:! I’ll pray you make the right decision.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
How intense are your vacation plans? If you can mostly relax with your family it could make sense to do it before the vacation if you can do it fairly soon. Best of luck with your decision.
 
I just did a full rotation on my recumbent bike! :wowspring:I’m so excited. That is the only improvement I’ve seen since I had the surgery! I mean I’m almost 10 weeks out. I’ve tried so hard and just couldn’t go around. I see PT tomorrow, maybe they can measure me and see if I’ve finally improved. Most I’ve been is about 70 flexion, 0 extension other then the first day when I was 87. Now I’m not sure what to do. I’m scheduled see OS on the 8th to talk about MUA. I guess, just wait and see for now. Now how do I proceed with the bike? I only did a minute cause I go so excited. Plus didn’t want to over do. Elevating and icing now. But would it be best to do it for just 2 min every 3 hours or so say 4xday as I want to keep it moving as it can get really stiff? Well pray that the knee is finally going to start improving because if I can avoid the MUA I would sure like too. :spin:
 
That’s very exciting that you did a full rotation! :happydance:

Don’t go crazy doing the bike now, very slow is the way to go. One minute is fine, if you can handle it. Don’t do it again today and try one minute tomorrow. Nothing bad will happen if you go too slow, but if you increase time and times per day too fast you’ll swell which reduce ROM again.
 
Even at 16 weeks, swelling is the bane of my life! Mine started to drain out considerably overnight at around 10 weeks, now my knees are nice and bendy with little swelling when I first wake up. If just they would stay like that! By midday, after my major activity for that day, they have filled up again and feel tight, log legs again. I feel that it’s the warning that I’ve done enough, it does stop me overdoing it.But I can do more and more beforehand as the weeks go by.
I would love to try compression stockings, but in 35 degree heat, I’d boil.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
I would love to try compression stockings, but in 35 degree heat, I’d boil.
[/QUOTE]
@Ghostpipe, I am wearing mine, they are the Jobst brand 20-30 Mmhg thigh highs. They are warm but the legs feel so much better. A bit of swelling at day's end but nothing like going without. We have been around the same temperature.
 
Mar,
Keep sliding your leg down the wall, 3 times a day . Do 10 and hold for 15 seconds, each time. My PT recommended these and it has improved my ROM.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
I've been pushing to get to those magic numbers as well (almost 5 weeks since TRK replacement). Thank goodness I posted to this site - and the recommendations mirror those sent your way. I was pushing to "8-10 pain" to try to get to 100 degree bend with an irritable knee/leg, especially at night, as a result. So, let's back down a bit and see how it goes! :)
 
Mar,
Keep sliding your leg down the wall, 3 times a day . Do 10 and hold for 15 seconds, each time. My PT recommended these and it has improved my ROM.
This is fine if it’s working for you and doesn’t increase your pain and/or swelling, but I could never have done that.

We are all different and thankfully there are lots of options to help us choose the rehab that works for us.

Here are the ROM exercise that we recommend, these are very gentle.
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
Heel slides and how to do them properly
 
So you are saying you ice and elevate approximately 6 hrs a day ? Have you been doing this since week 1?
 
Strangely, I ice more at night when I'm trying to get to sleep (not much luck yet) than during the day. I read on a thread to ice only after exercise, but sometimes it just calms the burn/ache. Not sure why this happens at night. . .
 
I iced 24/7 for the first 12 weeks until I went back to work and still iced 2-3 times during the work day and my ice machine all night. As long as you keep something between the ice and skin you can ice as much as you want. It helped me with both pain and swelling for weeks.
 
I ice a lot depending on what’s going on but at least 4 hours a day to 6 hours. I ice more at night!
 
I actually probably iced way more the first 6 weeks. I had a timer on my ice machine for one hour on and one hour off. The first 3 weeks while awake I walked a little every 1 1/2 -2 hours and if I wasn’t walking I was icing and elevating. So although not 24/7 probably close to 18 hours total. I ice and elevate now whenever I stop to rest. I am retired so not working.
 
A bit late to the party but congrats on the full rotation! :happydance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom