TKR Update on Slower Recovery

Well I’m almost one year out on the 26th from my RTKR. I see my OS on Tuesday. Not sure what questions I should ask? I’m still at 105 flexion, 0 extension. No change since like last September. Seems like most slow recoveries I’ve read about had a least a slow increase in flexion over time. I haven’t had any change for 7 months now? I still swell if I try to exercise it so I mostly just walk. I can do everything I need to do. Go down stairs. But it randomly hurts a bit especially burning in the back of my knee. I’m getting my left hip replaced on May 2nd so I’ve been trying to exercise to strengthen my thighs but of course that has flared up my knee pain. Problem is I have osteopenia and I need to exercise. At a year out shouldn’t I be able to do that without it acting like this by now??? My LTKR was at 120 and no pain by 6 months post surgery. I’m really confused about this crazy knee. Worried maybe something just isn’t right with it. I suppose I will get an X-ray at this appointment. Guess I’m just wondering what you all think?
 
Had my first PT appointment yesterday post op day 4. Pain is well controlled with Tramadol and Tylenol every 6 hours and Oxy every 6 hours so I have something to take every 3 hours. Has worked well. Very slightly itchy with the Oxycodone. Icing and elevating pretty much unless I’m walking. I walk around every 1 1/2 hours while awake. Sleep between meds at night. I do take a Kirkland sleep aid at night to help, it has worked well. Much better then I expected. PT said I was doing good. Bend is 80, and she said my extension is already pretty good for this point so she said that will get there fairly soon. Didn’t give me a number.

I am having problems with urine retention. Is this an issue for others? Just can’t seem to empty completely. Had issues in the hospital with this but thought it would resolve. Last GYN exam the doctor told me my bladder is prolapsing a little. But said if no issues don’t worry about it. So not sure if this is why it’s happening? I guess I need to call. The getting in and out of bed so much is making my right leg a bit mad. I still can’t really lift my new knee by itself without a great deal of pain. Any suggestions on how to get the muscles working better? It’s also causing issues with my abdominal muscles when using a strap to lift it when I’m moving. Was using my other leg but my stomach was really hurting so had to find another way to move my leg. All a bit of a learning curve isn’t it, lol. Pretty happy over all on how things are going this time.
I wasn’t emptying my bladder fully either. Figured out it’s the raised loo seat making me sit in a different way. Leaning forward solved the problem. I know, sounds crazy, but it worked.
 
I wonder if your hip is altering your gait so it impacts the knee? Maybe after the hip is replaced everything will be able to work together.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
It could be that your new left tkr had a whole lot more damage inside that your OS had to repair. That would increase the healing time. Since you are still swelling it sounds like your healing is not complete yet. Remember, we say to never compare your knee's recovery with another one, even on the same body. We've even had bilateral TKRs that recovered differently. No two knees are actually alike.
 
@Mar the point about no two knees on the same body healing the same is well-taken. Even though my knees were replaced just 7 weeks apart, the recovery for each was quite different. Your total body alignment likely changed between your first and second knees - oddly enough, we age during those 9 years and our movement and gait change as well, creating different forces and torques on our joints. Get that hip done and then work with your PT to get vertically aligned again - I know mine worked hard on that with me and it made all the difference in my recovery and even now 9 years later in my walking comfort and gait.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
I have noticed that walking is fine but just standing in one place for too long is quite painful. My MRI for my hip in February said I had bilateral trochanter bursitis. Also subgluteus minimus bursitis. Maybe that’s why my knee hurts and it has been such a slow recovery. I don’t really know what all that means though, lol. It also said there was mild edema within the proximal left vasius intermedius muscle, non specific. But that’s not the hip I’m having replaced but that is the side this problematic knee is on. It did also say I have mild left hip chondrosis with a possible superior labral tear. Hopefully that doesn’t mean I’m going to eventually need that hip replaced. At this point in time it doesn’t hurt. I’m such a mess in my joints, ugh! But I am turning 70 soon, lol.
 
So I had my one year post LTKR visit today. I only achieved 105 flexion and 0 extension. I can do pretty much everything I need to do so it’s not really a problem my other RTKR is 120 and there really isn’t much difference in what I can do. But I still have some pain and he said everything looks fine and I should see that resolve over the next year. I did tell him I sometimes feel the achy pain in both knees which I never felt in the older one (2012) till this one was done. He said it’s possible my body doesn’t like the metal. This makes me worry a bit as I am having a RTHR in 12 days. That’s just going to add more metal and more reaction if that’s the case. For people who know they have an issue with the metal what symptoms have you had. I mainly have on and off achy feelings but I also live in a cold climate.??
 
He said it’s possible my body doesn’t like the metal. This makes me worry a bit as I am having a RTHR in 12 days. That’s just going to add more metal and more reaction if that’s the case.
Oh these dear doctors who say these lovely things that only increase our worry. :doh:

I don’t know how true his statement about the metal may or may not be, but I would think if it really was an issue, you would be feeling far worse, and would have felt it a long time ago.

Once a joint is replaced, it’s not always the same as a knee that never needed to be replaced. Possibly your original TKR had to work in a slightly different way, to support the second one while it was healing.
But I still have some pain and he said everything looks fine and I should see that resolve over the next year.
I do agree with him here, I saw a lot of improvement in my second year, even with ROM, after a very slow and difficult first year.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
@Mar If you were having an allergic reaction to the metal in your implant you would have significant pain and possibly fever. Many members also report inflammation around the joint area.

All the best with your THR! It's an amazing procedure - life changing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom