TKR Update on Slower Recovery

Yes, this surgery really makes you think about how you move your body, where you're going, uneven surfaces...being aware in order to avoid any jarring, tripping or falling. I've read from people on here that recommend getting new shoes to accommodate your gait from your new knee. Once you get stronger and the next surgery behind you, you can work on appropriate back exercises to avoid those spasms.:flwrysmile:

Doing way better then with my RTKR 8 years ago.
Please give us the date of your first TKR and we’ll add it to your signature. :flwrysmile:

December 12, 2012

Thanks, Mar, I’ll add that to your signature!

Reactions: Mar
Curious, my leg has now peeled at least 6x since surgery almost 6 wks ago, anyone else doing that and if anyone knows why that would be, lol

Mine did not do that, but I think we’ve had other members who’s leg did peel. My guess is that it’s just a post surgical reaction to the trauma of the surgery in general.

Oh yes, both my legs did that even though only one was operated on. I remember that from my TKR 4 years ago and just recently surgery for broken femur. I had to wear a brace for several weeks but even after, my legs peeled. It was so embarrassing as the skin was accumulating on the side leather platform of our bed and even the leather chair I sit on in living room. Once I could scrub them in the shower and put some lotion on, they improved. As of a couple weeks ago, I don't even need to put the lotion on. Shaving was a bit of a chore but I have a bath transfer bench I could sit on in the tub/shower to shave. Hubby bought me a big bottle of Keri Lotion.

Both my legs are the same,the operated one is worse but like @liam2015 one I could scrub in the shower and start putting loads of moisturiser on they improved a lot ….the skin around my scar in particular peels a fair bit.

Has anyone tried turmeric and bromelain for swelling and inflammation. Did you think it was helpful? I have my 6 wk checkup tomorrow and am a bit nervous since I haven’t had any increase in flexion since my surgery. Not sure what he will say!

Try not to worry about what your surgeon will say, although I know how you feel, I always worried about my checkups. I can now look back and see what a waste of time that was, because my ROM came back fine, when it was ready.

Your knee will heal fine, and your ROM will return, on its own schedule. Mine improved in my second and third years, so honestly, don’t let them stress you. :console2:

I have been drinking a morning tea concoction with turmeric in it, it did help as an anti inflammatory for a while, but my non replaced knee is starting to feel worse, and I was a couple of years post op when I started, so I’m not sure if it will help you or not.

Has anyone tried turmeric and bromelain for swelling and inflammation. Did you think it was helpful?

At 4 weeks my surgeon said I could resume the supplements I was taking before surgery, turmeric being one. I had high hopes, but I can't tell if it's helping or not. That was the same before surgery, I couldn't tell if it helped or not. My best friend who encouraged me to try it said it did wonders for her knee and arthritic hands.

Has anyone tried turmeric and bromelain for swelling and inflammation. Did you think it was helpful? I have my 6 wk checkup tomorrow and am a bit nervous since I haven’t had any increase in flexion since my surgery. Not sure what he will say!

I have used tumeric in the past with mixed results depending on what the swelling was from. I found that the R.E.S.T. method worked the best most of the time. I take 800 MG of Ibuprofen before bed time and started that around week 8 or so.

I am just starting my 16th week out and today I am not wearing my compression socks or knee compression braces (they are being laundered) and I know I will have a lot of swelling from being at my desk for work all day.

I use those to keep the swelling down and during the day while I am sitting and I typically always wear the compression socks when doing anything else. My PT told me they have seen mixed results with the knee compression sleeves but for me, they worked not only in keeping the swelling down while active but also somewhat of a sense of security with activities and making sure I had support as I gain my strength back.

I have worn "Unloader" Braces on my knees for the better part of the last 25 years. Sadly, not often enough as I ended up having BTKR in the end anyway. My wife called me "Forest Gump" with my braces on for all those years =). They were big and bulky but they did work. I don't need them anymore, but for me having something over my knee psychologically during healing seems to at least keep my mental fitness healthy!

Merlin, wish I liked compression stockings but they drive me crazy, lol. Always just too tight and the pressure on my feet becomes painful. I’ve always had bigger calf’s then most so that’s probably why. Had them with my first TKR and it was more swollen then this one

I took turmeric for several months prior to my surgery on 4/26. Although I think it did help somewhat with the swelling and pain I was having I still needed the surgery. I have started to take it again since my other knee hurts and I have no plans on going thru this again anytime soon. I'll let you know in a month or so if I think its worth it..........I figure it cant hurt!! :SUNsmile:

Just got back from OS for 6 wk check up. He was a little worried but I told him these knees are like twins. Lots of swelling. That at six months my RTKR went to 120. He said well then will see you in a year. If at 3-4 months its still not bending well we can talk about an MUA. No more PT needed. I’ll finish out 3 visits because I want the massage. I think it’s helping.

So frustrated! Is there anything else I can do to bring the swelling down? I’m 7 weeks, and my flexion has not changed from day 1. Still just under 90. I ice all the time. Always elevating if I’m not walking. I go to PT where they mostly massage my leg and do the lymphatic drainage. Other then heel slides and I don’t push just move for flexion. I just do the recumbent bike and only 3 min 3x day, can’t do a full rotation. Walking around more because I just can’t sit around so much anymore it’s affecting my back. But I’m spacing it with icing and elevating. Just trying to figure out if there is something else that has worked for others. As my swelling doesn’t seem any better despite all of that.

I think you're doing what you can. Sometimes we hit plateaus. Normal but admittedly frustrating. :console2:

I haven’t even hit a plateau, as I’ve never had any progress yet, lol. I think that’s why I’m so frustrated. I haven’t seen anyone yet say after this amount of time they’ve had no progress at all. I’ve only gone backwards:hairpulling:. What I’m really confused about is if I slide my foot down a wall I can get pretty close to 90. But if I slide my foot back on a flat surface which is the only way PT measures I’m lucky to get to 70. That is puzzling to me.

A few others have reported the same thing and I agree! It seems much harder to bend while lying back on a flat surface. Just relax and don’t overdo - the knee will eventually come around. Swelling can take a full year to dissipate.

Hi Mar! I’m sorry you’re frustrated! This is a frustrating recovery! I will be 8 weeks tomorrow. When I was discharged, I was put on Meloxicam for inflammation. I think that helped with the swelling...moderator is that true?

My PT measures with me laying flat and sliding my heel towards my bottom, and I agree when I wall slide I feel like I get a better ROM.

My PT visit last week was massage of the calf, it’s always sore/achy/tight and ultrasound around the kneecap and all around the incision. I’m not sure that these two things improved my ROM, but it felt good, comforting, and kinda luxurious! And as much as I might massage/rub my calf and knee it’s just not as good as when someone else is doing it.

I hope that your frustrates soon in the rearview mirror.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Happy2024
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom