Hi Everyone, &
@gertie !
Well, sorry I've been absent for so long, but here goes...!
I’m posting from (slightly!) sunny France - and just as soon as I get used to the relaxed pace of life here I have to get ready to leave again, and the ensuing panic takes over! I’ve sent my "boys” out record shopping in Poitiers this afternoon, and have spent a quiet time messing around on my laptop, but if I’m honest, although I did want a quiet afternoon alone, if I could walk for miles without any problems, I would have gone too, and just wandered off on my own. But on a bad day, I’m still just about limited to a circuit round a supermarket before bad pain kicks in. I’m also not good at striding out in big open spaces without the support of a supermarket trolley in front of me, although I don’t think about it round the house. I think I’m noticing more that the “new” leg is longer than the other one, and it unbalances me a bit.
My problem is still the knees - they are agony (the new hip is a dream). After standing for any length of time, or walking a bit, they just sort of lock straight, and then all sorts of other bits of my legs (ankles, Achilles' tendon, calves etc) start to ache. I'm still seeing the
physio (my health insurance covered me for 6 sessions) , & she is lovely, and we talk a lot about the psychology of pain etc, but apart from analysing my approach to pain, there aren't really any concrete suggestions. I've floated the possibility of rheumatoid arthritis (GP says I tested negative), & fibromyalgia (a possible). She massaged my knees for about 20 minutes (painful, but bliss!), but I really couldn't honestly say it did anything at all! It is true that on the very few days when I take 3 x 200mg of Ibuprofen I am able to do more, which maybe helps to “oil” the joints and encourages exercise. But even taking a pill just before bed, one knee (which was dodgy before the op) wakes me at night, and gets locked.
So I must get the knees x-rayed, and deal with it. To be honest, although I’m keeping my spirits up, if I stop to think about it, I’m really anguished about not being able to walk. I think that’s what has kept me off BoneSmart recently - in the early post-op days it was such a wonderful help, and I was so optimistic and sure that the THR was going to solve all my problems, and I almost can’t bear to re-visit as I feel nostalgic for those days of hope. Does that make sense to anyone? It seems almost unbearably cruel that the new hip is absolutely pain-free but now the rest of me isn’t.
However, on the bright side, although I have to limit my activities slightly, I do realise that the hip has never hurt at all after the op, so that's one thing gone. And I have gone back to doing everything I was doing pre-op, at about the same level, so that's good. Although yesterday I got down full length on the floor to mess around with some plugs and it was in a tight space and I really couldn't get up at all!! I had to manoeuvre round and round and drag myself up - but although none of me was working "properly", the hip never complained once!!! Glad no-one was there to post it on YouTube!!
So best wishes to you all out there, hoping you are all doing well and skipping with best foot (leg) forward to Spring (at least, those in the Northern Hemisphere!).