Hello everyone, Happy New Year!!!
Haven't posted in a while, so thought I'd do a quick update: had a very quiet Christmas, with husband masterminding all the big Christmas dinner (well done! whew!), & im still spending some afternoons resting & snoozing in the recliner - most of the year husband's study is a no-go war zone of towering piles of books & papers, discarded clothes (why??), & stuff all over the floor which would be lethal for a Hippie, but at Christmas it gets blitzed, with a fire & nice lights & is made wonderfully cosy, so both of us have been lurking in here after lunch whilst he is still on holiday - lovely! But I do get tired, even at just 7 weeks - I tend to obey my body & rest when I feel like it, if possible.
At 5 weeks I was able to sleep on non-op side, & as of today (just prior to 7 weeks), I can lie on new hip (surgeon said I could as soon as it was comfortable - no sleeping restrictions at all from Day 1 for me). BUT I'm not sleeping well, due to all-over pain.
I've kind of always suffered from this, since I was a child, which I think is due to hypermobility, but it started with a vengeance in my 40s. I sometimes wonder if it's fibromyalgia.
The problem is that since I went down to one crutch at 4 weeks, & then no crutch when at home at 5 weeks, I know I'm not walking properly & am doing something weird in some sub-conscious attempt to protect the new hip, so am walking with stiff knees. It hurts in both knees badly!! If I concentrate v hard, I can walk "normally" & this immediately takes the pain away, but by the end of the day I am in agony, all over - shoulders, thumbs, ankles - you name it! This is, as I said, something I've had before, but not so regularly. Of course, at the beginning, I was on regular doses of Ibuprofen & paracetamol which probably kept it at bay, but I stopped all those on a routine basis weeks ago, only taking them when in pain - maybe this is a mistake?
And today, for the very first time since the op, I had real pain somewhere near the hip - I hadn't done anything that I was conscious of (was just pottering in kitchen), but got a stabbing pain when weight-bearing. I immediately picked up the crutch, & retired to recliner. Maybe I twisted it? I just don't seem to be happy without one crutch really - I tried a stick but didn't get on very well. My PT is only about once a month (no exercises have been given, except for keeping leg moving, knee bends every now & then, & walking). Everything else is going fine - I don't need many of my other mobility aids (loo seats, etc), & have no difficulty negotiating "normal" living (even got into big old Victorian bath last week, with no problems, though I'm not doing that on a regular basis yet).
Anybody else had a bit of a sudden scare for seemingly no reason? And scar is all healed but quite itchy - I haven't done anything at all in terms of looking after it, just left it to heal. Now it is just a fine line, still slightly pink.
Anyway, in many ways (until the scare today), the new hip has been trouble-free, but is hampered by the other painful hip which pinches all the time (surgery due when I am ready).
So, that's me, at just 7 weeks. It's so interesting how all our recoveries differ, isn't it?
But good wishes for a happy healthy pain- free 2017 to everyone - you are all wonderfully inspiring, warm & supportive - thanks to every one of you for being out there!!
