BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[THR] Up, up & away!'

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by doopy, Nov 15, 2016.

1. gertie

gertie

United States United States
    @doopy What great outings to the gig and the garden center! You sound so energized--so happy for you! Isn't it wonderful being out in the world again?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. doopy

doopy

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yup, @gertie , sort of not yet really allowing myself to believe it!! Going to take my first solo walk to post the Xmas cards today - only round the corner but yet another psychological breakthrough! I wonder if I've been being a bit soft on myself, compared to maybe some others' progress, but it feels right for me. My other hip is beginning to go back to complaining as the injection into it wears off, so perhaps taking it gently is a good idea.

Just checked scar as final strips fell off - it's totally healed! Just a sort of puckered thin silver line already! .....& sadly as the rest of me is puckered, that's not likely to go!! :loll:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. gertie

gertie

@doopy You're the one who knows your body best--if caution feels right, then that's what you need. Enjoy your walk! My first solo walk (and first solo drive) was both exhilarating and scary--and it was only 100 feet up the road!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Cas

Cas

:dancy:LOL I love your posts. You sound as if you'reYes it's so great to get outside for an hour or so you start to feel human again. Iv'e been to the local garden centre and also to an art exhibition in the dales last weekend and managed that one with only 1 stick! This weekend will be another outing somewhere in my bright red penguin slippers as no shoes or boots will go on my very swollen feet. I feel ridiculous but at least I'm out and about. Next Thursday will be my 6 week post op and am going to see if I can drive - then it will be freedom. I see my OS 21st Dec at week 7 so I'm hoping all is well then. You're doing so well keep it up - life is out there again

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. doopy

doopy

Hi @Cas , now the penguin slippers must be wonderful - and so festive!! Oddly I was lucky & had no swelling anywhere - how come we are all so different?! Well done for getting around on one stick & being out there! I'm seeing my surgeon that week too, looks like your surgery was 11 days ahead of mine.
    I am beginning to feel human again but just had a meltdown of tears as very tired husband just couldn't get my TEDs on & it hurt, & the predicted muscle aches from my wild adventure at the garden centre & daring to walk 100yds to the post box have kicked in & I feel shattered. The other blasted hip is now pinching so badly that I couldn't get into bed, and that was using the slide sheet & the leg lifter. It's that pinch in the groin that makes you cry out it's so bad - obviously the injection has worn off.
    Still, in bed now, with an ibuprofen, & tomorrow is another day.
    It's such a rollercoaster!! :good-bad:

6. Cas

Cas

Oh bless. I know how you feel. Some days I cried for nothing and others because the pain came back and I was so down and wondered if it would ever be ok. It's only really been this last week that I've suddenly felt as if everything was coming together again so don't give up. I still get the odd pain and heaviness but everyone on here are so helpful and encouraging that it makes me feel better. It's amazing the difference a week can make so keep smiling and looking forward you and I will get there eventually. Well onwards and upwards - another day tomorrow - and one day I'll either bin or frame my penguins! LOL Take care.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  7. gertie

gertie

@doopy A rollercoaster indeed! Sorry to hear about your painful non-op hip. I, too, am dealing with pain in non-op hip and knee and trying not to think about the implications!

My focus this weekend is trying to do a bit of Christmas shopping and make a plum pudding, which was requested by my sister who arrives in a week--a bit late on the pudding but it will still taste good.

@Cas I think you should frame those penguins!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  8. doopy

doopy

Hi @Cas & @gertie , thanks for understanding & being supportive - it's so good if we can help each other. It is that fear when something hurts that it might not have worked!! Good to know I'm not the only one who imagine some things. I post my down times not only to let off steam but also to let others know that they're not alone if they feel like that. I had a bad night, getting that sore heel pain (which was dealt with in hospital by a big gel pad), & had run out of ibuprofen & so ached a lot still. Husband made me breakfast, found me a painkiller & I went back to bed. After a 90min doze in the warm I felt ok, & then braved the supermarket with him for a couple of hours (on crutches).

What I noticed is the difference between this week's trip & my first outing there just 7 days ago: so much more confident, easier walking & just better! Now I know I must be ready for the resulting aches & keep a pill ready, but as I keep saying, the aches are more like when you've suddenly done a load of gardening (for those who can remember what that felt like before the hip(s) intervened!) than the constant OA pain.

Last night I wondered about trying to sleep on my side: I'm on no restrictions from my surgeon re this, & I might give it a go as I just am not sleeping on my back (I'll make sure I use the pillow betweeen the knees).

I also noticed that I'm quite happy walking with just one crutch now - I'm only meant to use them for 2 more days, so I'm pleased about that too.

@gertie, I made my puddings last weekend & tomorrow is the Big Steaming Day - 6 hours of pans everywhere boiling away! But so worth it! (& mine keep for a year in the fridge, so it's time & cost effective - I "feed" them brandy periodically). Happy cooking!

9. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor

@doopy - so do you think the other hip will need to replaced as well? I hadn't realised. I have to say that when I'd had my first one done the hip in waiting gradually started to kick up a fuss as I was clearly relying on it to supported the newly operated one.

Impressed with you and @gertie making your plum puds. I'm too lazy - Waitrose or Marks & Sparks for me! And your supermarket and postbox outings are great breakthroughs. On the down times I still get impatient and snippy with poor hubby - particularly when he's putting the TEDs on if he's not gentle enough - it's tiredness really and grumpiness borne out of wishing to be totally whole again. Can't wait to get back into nicer clothes - feel on the verge but don't want to upset myself by not coping. I guess once I see the back of TEDs, aspirin, shower stool and raised loo seats I'll feel less disabled. No-one on this site should ever feel they are alone on that score.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. doopy

doopy

@Miss Muffet , yes the raised loo seats are so depressing! Mine stares out of our downstairs loo & I loathe it - we had to fix the wooden seat & lid to the cistern with gaffer tape so it looks even more appealing!! I have a friend coming for coffee tomorrow, & unless she uses the bathroom 3 flights up she's going be confronted by one of those monstrosities! I've managed without a shower seat, but did have a commode - oh dear, shades of things to come (but hopefully a long way in the future).

Well, the Christmas puddings....I found it really difficult to stir the huge bowlful of fruit etc, & the faffing about with bowls, greaseproof "lids", foil lids & 6 hours steaming had me in tears of desperation -everything was in the wrong place or just unreachable with the hip. Husband, who was frantically writing reports & who didn't need the hassle, suggested I just give up & go to Waitrose, but having weighed & mixed lbs of fruit, nuts & spices etc last week for the first mix I was hardly likely to just chuck it!

So by this stage we decided to leave the Xmas decorations till next week, when his term is nearly over - I had to draw a line somewhere. I find the tiredness absolutely overwhelming at times-literally. I think I overdid it with a marathon session in Waitrose with husband & M-in-L, & it seems to take 24 hours for the exhaustion to hit me.

Yes, the other hip had been fine, then about 6 weeks prior to my op it just pinged - a massive tearing sensation in the groin. My theory is that these are labral tears - I have a hypermobility problem which I think makes me prone to them & this can lead to OA as the bones (?) aren't properly supported. Anyway, at x Ray the surgeon said it was halfway to needing replacement too.

By the way, my knees are really complaining after all this new walking. Do you think that's normal? They feel really stiff.

And yes, I keep getting my husband to do the TEDs just before he goes to bed (he's a morning person, useless by about 10pm), & the look of resignation on his tired face is just pitiful! His mum is far better at it, bless her, as she too wears them all the time, but I try not to tell him that as wrenches my foot off.

So, last day of compulsory crutches tomorrow!! I feel the surgeon was right - somehow I'm just ready to let go now. But I'll do it in stages, carefully.

And yes, we should be in nicer clothes by Christmas!! Something to look forward to!!

11. SwimGirl

SwimGirl

@doopy Just checking in to see how you are doing. Sounds like you are doing more and more walking and getting around. It is difficult to think that you may need another hip done but I just had both done 8 weeks apart and so glad that I did. Now I am out and about more and able to do some Christmas shopping. Now, what exactly
    Is plum pudding? Is that something special for Christmas? We don't make that here!

12. SwimGirl

SwimGirl

@gertie Are you able to go outside for your walks with the weather as cold as it has been? Also, you live in MA
    And you make plum pudding too? I thought that was something done in UK.

13. Cas

Cas

@doopy Morning. You are doing so well. I'm ahead of you in time but am still taking a stick out with me - I feel safer knowing I have that bit of support if I need it. I am hoping to try driving this week as it is 6 weeks post op on Thursday. Still have stiffness and some buttock pain and yes my right knee is playing up something awful - think that will have to be done sometime in the future. ( galloped into a telegraph pole at 17 needless to say the pole won ! ) . Couldn't think of making plum puddings ( Christmas pudding ? ) But like to eat it with brandy sauce - yum. Am thinking about sending xmas cards I know they'll arrive late but the thought will be there LOL ! Lovely day here , the sun is shining and we have blue skies even if it is cold - a lovely crisp day that makes you want to go out and walk somewhere. Keep smiling you're doing great.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. gertie

gertie

@SwimGirl I'm sitting in my living room watching it snow and snow and snow so no walks outside for me right now--most of the walking I'm doing is just daily living--grocery store, errand running etc.

You're right--plum pudding is a UK thing--my sister married an English man and has lived in England most of her adult life--and introduced things like plum pudding to our family and it's become part of our tradition.

@doopy I have a lingering affection for my raised toilet seat. It's one of the last accommodations in my house (the rented recliner goes back tomorrow but the couch is still up on risers and will stay that way for a while) and I'm having a hard time giving it up--but it isn't very welcoming to others that's for sure.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  15. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor

Ah @doopy - I know. I hate anyone visiting as I'm embarrassed about my raised loo seat and frame. Still so impressed with the plum pud effort - even if it was a saga. Well done you. I've sort of contemplated making some mincemeat parcels (with filo - easier than with proper pastry) ready for Christmas Eve later this week, which is far easier so frankly I'm in awe. I can understand your exasperation - we seem to think we can tackle everything as normal but this is a taxing time of year. Glad you're delaying decorations till next week. Rustle up the gang and get them working. Just point and direct operations.

With you on the knee front. My most recently operated side is giving me a bit of gip and I found it to be the same last time. We're leaning on things awkwardly so I'm pretty sure this is the reason. I was told I have some OA in my left knee, but it wasn't bad enough to warrant surgery so I'm erring on the optimistic side. Don't forget we're using previously ignored muscles and everything is waking up and/or being pressed into action again. I feel like I've got thunder thighs - they've been doing all the work which my hips would have previously done and the effort is gradually being transferred.

And yes, The Husband - good enough as he is - does don a slightly crestfallen expression when asked to do things. They overlook that we hate asking and would FAR rather be able to do stuff for ourselves.

@Cas - I fear my overseas cards will all be late this year. Just found getting my brain into gear in good time was impossible. They're being posted today (with luck) with a message saying they're early for next Christmas.

Oh @gertie - snow! We've had a sprinkling and further north have had more than that. I've spent some time watching old fashioned Christmas films on the tellybox. They make me feel so sentimental and with the current wobbly moods have done a bit of happy weeping. Good to let it out though!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. doopy

doopy

@Josephine , Hi & thanks for your concern.
    Yes, I think I have been overdoing it - have been on a pattern of mad activity & then paying for it the next day - yesterday I listened to my body & just slept on & off throughout the day.
    Yes, not happy knees! They sort of lock straight when I walk - still using one crutch - & an old problem resurfaces massively when climbing up stairs last night - right knee has had quite a few problems (none diagnosed) & complained on the downward push up. This knee has been happier since the op as I'm using a pillow under my knees at night - my knees don't like lying flat. Before the op it would wake me throughout the night as it got stiff & painful, in almost any position. I damaged it about 3 years ago taking a massive step up (I have hypermobility issues?).
    No - I confess to not really doing any PT exercises - I wasn't really given much to do - the Physio spoke of "functional exercise", meaning that many of the actions in the exercises were being achieved through natural
    movements. Should I be doing more? I was told to rock my pelvis back & forward to free up the flexor muscles but it hurts, esp in unoperated hip now the injection there is wearing off.
    Thanks for advice!!

17. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

I see you haven't answered my questions. Does this mean you don't want to or what?

I'm not clear on how you are doing stairs. Are you doing it one step at a time or normally? If the latter then you should be doing it one at a time. Remember 'good foot goes UP to heaven and bad foot goes DOWN to hell'!
    No, knees certainly don't like lying flat. They are not designed to do so.
    No confession necessary. I never cease to preach that hip don't need exercise - AT ALL. So good for you!

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. doopy

doopy

I think the knees problem is that I'm walking really strangely with my knees locked, as in my head (for some reason) I'm scared to weight-bear and move on from crutches. Since seeing the PT, who proved to me that I could walk without my crutch, I've tried to concentrate on bending my knees when walking as opposed to keeping them stiff at the knee, and it doesn't hurt as much, so maybe it is practise & confidence. She made me walk backwards, which didn't hurt at all! I'm also taking a few more painkillers, as I had pretty much given them up.

@Josephine, sorry you didn't think I answered your questions: yes, I did read all the articles on recovery and try to be mindful of them at all times but when I feel OK I guess I let myself overdo it (and then of course suffer).

To reiterate, no, I haven't been doing any PT exercises at all, just the walking and moving round the house.

I am doing stairs properly, one step at a time, but the good knee just hurts when I push up with it. It's been like that for some time, pre-op, so its not surprising it hurts now.

19. doopy

doopy

@SwimGirl , yes plum pudding - or Christmas pudding (same thing) is the traditional pudding for Christmas Day (and for days after, if you make a big one!) - lots of dried fruit and peel, breadcrumbs, nuts, stout (beer) and rum & juice (& eggs and suet etc), all steamed for the first 6 hours, but then can thankfully be microwaved on the big day! V tedious but worthwhile, although I wanted to end it all halfway through the process this year!!

20. doopy

doopy

Hi @Cas , how did your post-op appointment go (was it today?)? Are you back behind the wheel??! Hope so!!

Also I read about your argument with the telegraph pole in your own thread - blimey, that sounded dramatically awful!!!