PKR UACats Navio Robotics PKR - Jan 4

@UACats70 glad so far you're in minimal pain!
Seems your "personal nursing staff" has the situation well in hand.
Incision looks good!
 
@RMasano
If it helps here's this. The night before my surgery I came very close to canceling it. All I can say is I just had a freaked out, anxious hour, where I questioned EVERYTHING. Finally my husband said this "will this get better without surgery?"
Obviously the answer was s big fat NO
Then he said "how long do you want to suffer because you're afraid?"
The answer...when I REALLY thought about it was "not another day!"
So I was anxious, but I kept breathing, and when I got to the hospital I told everyone that helped me that I was nervous....and they all reassured me that everyone is, and that everything was going to be just fine. [emoji3] It will all be fine.
 
I'm thinking I need to get different ice packs. The one the doc recommended is heavy and actually hurts my kneecap. Anytime I'm on my butt, I'm icing and elevating leg above the heart.


Breg Polar Cube from EBay. I'm traveling with mine....
 
@McKelly Thanks for the advice. I don't have any choice at all. I can barely walk. I have no doubt the surgery is the only way I can live life outside my house. Just anxious about the unknown. It helps when people like you who have been through it can reassure me it will be ok!!!!
 
@UACats70 2000 steps??? What in the heck are you thinking? I bet i haven't taken 2000 steps since I've been home. If I'm not icing, at rehab or doing some light therapy on my own then I'm in my chair or in the bed. Got 101 degrees flexion this morning.....I'm just sayin......don't worry about the sleep. I probably haven't gotten much more than 5 hours on any night.
 
Yeah, was a big mistake. I had no pain and thought, this is easy.... lesson learned.
 
@UACats70 i thought you learned from my stupid mistakes. Rest this week and stay ahead of the pain, because you will have more pain. Not because you did something dumb like try and hit the 2000 step mark or something. But starting PT will come (dare I say) discomfort , yes you will have "DISCOMFORT" (see I'm not saying pain!!!)

I know you will do great, you just need to find your own stride. Speaking of stride that has changed so any "DISCOMFORT" you feel in the hip or ankle will stop (my opinion) because I felt a little "DISCOMFORT" in both my hip and ankle. I asked about this and was told that I'm striking both differently than before and will need to adjust some. (Please know this is not the norm this is only what was told to me).

@RMasano, you will do well, just remember the pain you are feeling right now will be gone January 9th.
It will however be replaced by a new and different pain that will fade away. I can tell you the only thing that bugs or hurts me now is the swelling. Bar non "FOR ME ONLY" I have no pain it's just the swelling that gets me. Keep us posted and good luck, I'll be thinking about you.
 
@UACats70 you will probably feel like a million bucks for a couple of days if you didn't overdo it too much yesterday. My worst days were about 5-8. And don't worry about PT. My PT hasn't hurt. There have been a few moments of discomfort but not pain. (Can someone define pain?) and did I mention I got 101 today on day 10? [emoji6]



@RMasano you're gonna do great
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Update: found my sweet spot with meds. 2 oxycodone every 5 hours. Knee feels good today. Will NOT be over doing it today. Slept from 3-8am. Had to work from home a bit this morning (security incident that turned out to be a false alarm. Don't the hackers know I'm out of office!) and was pleasantly surprised that my brain seemed to work on pain meds. It's snowing here and I'm a bit bummed that I can't go out and play in it. I LOVE SNOW!

@RMasano - I had a dream the night before surgery that I went under general anesthesia and then woke up to the OS saying, "not sure what you were complaining about, there's nothing wrong with your knee. You didn't need PKR."

@mbrown - replying in this thread so as not to hijack someone else's. I hate going to the gym. We have a finished basement and down there I have an Apple TV where I do workouts from YouTube (Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is vicious), we have an elliptical and a peloton (husband is a avid cyclist). I think a rowing machine will provide a nice compliment.

@IAPILOT - It would be so nice if I could learn from other's mistakes. Had to see for myself. Luckily, I do learn from my own mistakes.
 
Luckily, I do learn from my own mistakes.
Recovery is all about finding your limits and scaling back. For some it can be quite a struggle. Patience is prescribed in large doses. What seems impossible one day is easy when you try again another. Just keep your eye on the prize and take things very slow and steady. You'll get there!
 
Well said @Jaycey......"finding your limits and then scaling back". The key for me so far has been to stay just below pain in all of my rehab activities. I am intentionally staying off of my feet as much as I can. Day 11 and I can walk around the house without a crutch, but just because I can doesn't mean that I'm walking around all day. Still spending most of my time icing, heel slides, gentle strengthening exercises, quad sets, etc. if I feel like I need to get up and move I get on the floor and do heel slides and leg lifts. I think I can get my quads and ROM better in this way than my walking around he house
 
@mbrown how do you get up and down from the floor??? Did you get snow in Alabama?

@Jaycey I agree, well said. Feel good today but am resisting the urge to do a bunch.
 
I gotta try that floor thing too... @mbrown a video or essay please.. I can imagine rolling over on one knee and using upper body on chair to get up Maybe
 
Here's a video that has been shared here before. It may be helpful to some.


When I had to get down on the floor and up again early in my recovery I bent forward and put my hands on the floor while I slid my TKR leg out behind me and knelt down on my good knee. I got up basically in reverse.
 
Yes! Exactly how the guy in the video did it! Whew, was trying to figure out how I was going to explain that properly
 
Oh and yes, we did get a little snow and sleet here. Roads have been pretty icy here today because it didn't get above freezing and we don't have salt trucks
 
Can't wait till I can do stairs like the vid shows.


01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
Hubby wants me to go to the pub with him tomorrow to watch the Packers v Giants game. I can sit with my leg on a chair and we won't be walking. He thinks it would be good for me to get out of the house because I'm a little stir crazy. Do you guys think I should?
 
That's a long time to be out less than a week after this surgery. I did prop my leg up when I went out to eat, but for less than an hour and not until much later in my recovery. It does help to get out, but I'd suggest visiting a friend (where you could prop the leg up comfortably) or a short meal before a 3 hour football game. Oh and GO STEELERS!
 
Hubby wants me to go to the pub with him tomorrow to watch the Packers v Giants game. I can sit with my leg on a chair and we won't be walking. He thinks it would be good for me to get out of the house because I'm a little stir crazy. Do you guys think I should?

My wife is on a quest to see 32 home NFL games. We just did #17 in November. We saw the Giants a couple of years ago on a Sunday. And the Jets on Monday night. Loved the seat we had at the stadium, front row 2nd deck left of goal post and left of visitor side bench. The jumbotrons are nicely placed for ease of viewing. The staff was great. They even print up a certificate for first time attendees! Part of my need for TKR is so we (I) can walk around for the rest of the quest.

If you go, perhaps only until half time or from half time to the end. Socialization lite so to speak.
 
Back
Top Bottom