FionaW
senior
I certainly intend to be, @JusticeRider !
It’s an avulsion fracture by the way, which basically means that the pull of ligament/tendon snapped off the top of my kneecap.


Here I am in my new leg brace, which keeps my 8 week-old knee joint in full extension… You can also see my 4 day-old LTKR in the other photo - I’m not using that brace anymore because it kept falling off…
This poor left leg is having to do all the work now, getting me in and out of bed, on and off the commode, etc. I am allowed to bear weight on the broken patella, but not to bend it at ALL.
The biggest problem is that with my right leg stretched out, my centre of gravity is too far forward, and really I need to bend the other knee right back when I push up with it to compensate. But of course that knee has just been replaced, and is swollen and sore, and was pretty weak anyway, so that is very difficult, to the point of being pretty much impossible. The physios say I’m doing well, and it’s true to an extent: I couldn’t do it at all yesterday, even with help, and now I can, but I need a lot of help. I can’t take the physios home from hospital with me, sadly, so I guess I’m stuck here for now!
It’s an avulsion fracture by the way, which basically means that the pull of ligament/tendon snapped off the top of my kneecap.



Here I am in my new leg brace, which keeps my 8 week-old knee joint in full extension… You can also see my 4 day-old LTKR in the other photo - I’m not using that brace anymore because it kept falling off…
This poor left leg is having to do all the work now, getting me in and out of bed, on and off the commode, etc. I am allowed to bear weight on the broken patella, but not to bend it at ALL.
The biggest problem is that with my right leg stretched out, my centre of gravity is too far forward, and really I need to bend the other knee right back when I push up with it to compensate. But of course that knee has just been replaced, and is swollen and sore, and was pretty weak anyway, so that is very difficult, to the point of being pretty much impossible. The physios say I’m doing well, and it’s true to an extent: I couldn’t do it at all yesterday, even with help, and now I can, but I need a lot of help. I can’t take the physios home from hospital with me, sadly, so I guess I’m stuck here for now!
United Kingdom


Mine was locked at 0-90 and I was partial weight bearing of 50% on that leg for 7 weeks and then fully weight bearing, but still on crutches. I found that “one size fits all“ brace sooooo annoying, it slipped down as soon as I moved. I was constantly hitching it up. The physio had to keep shortening the velcro straps as the swelling on my thigh reduced to try and hold it in place. In the end I wore thin thermal leggings underneath, which did help a bit.
for your