TKR Two TKRs and a broken kneecap - on the mend now!

UPDATE: 7w5d after RTKR and 2d after LTKR. Well, things seem to have gone a bit pear-shaped for me (is that an idiom in use outside the UK ?!)… Two days ago, a few hours after my left total knee replacement, I was getting out of bed for the first time when something in the other, right knee, just kind of popped and I felt excruciating pain. There was no injury or fall, and there were two members of staff right there with me, so it’s just very weird… I was on my way to get my new left knee x-rayed, so they took an x-ray of my right knee at the same time… My consultant and the other specialists are not working because it’s the weekend, but the junior doctor thinks that my right patella may have dislocated and ruptured a bursa, and may also be fractured too. So now I am not just recovering from the LTKR, but also my right leg is splinted and I am not allowed out of bed until my consultant has seen it. Up till now, my right knee recovery has been progressing slowly and steadily, so this is rather a disappointment. I really, really hope treatment doesn’t involve them opening up my right knee again! Keep your fingers crossed for me please!! :fingersx: :fingersx::yikes::fingersx::fingersx:
 
So so sorry to hear this. I do hope you have some good news when you see your consultant and you don't need more surgery. Keeping my fingers crossed for you
 
So… I’ve had some bad news on my knee… The first one replaced almost 8 weeks ago, not the new one done on Friday (touch wood). It gave way on Friday night the first time I tried to get up after surgery, v painful. I’ve been in a splint and not allowed to get out of bed since, waiting for the consultant to visit me this morning…

He has just left. The patella has broken. He said “it’s about the worst complication that can arise with a knee replacement”. He can’t say why. He had to shave it thinner at the time, so it will have been weaker.

The current plan is to try to manage it conservatively with 6-8 weeks bracing to see if it will heal naturally, because revision surgery needs a ligament graft from another person and has a ‘huge’ risk of infection.

It’s a bit of a bummer, to say the least. I’m very fed up.

On the bright side, the new one seems fine.
 
Gosh - so sorry you suffered this complication! I know it's hard but please try and stay positive. At least you are in the right place to get the treatment you need. Please keep us updated!
 
I am so sorry to hear this. That is such bad news. At least your new surgery seems to move well. Just hope you can manage OK and that it heals conservatively. How long will they keep you in do you think?
 
I don’t know yet, @EalingGran . I’ve got to be able to function while taking all my weight on my newly operated knee, which is especially difficult getting up and down from bed or a chair. They probably won’t let me go home until I can. But there are other things too, such as not being able even to use my stairlift, without bending my leg. I suspect I may need a hospital bed and commode downstairs for a few weeks, if I do go home.
 
@ Fionaw I hope the conservative treament works and that you manage to get home. The discharge team should be able to liaise with community services and put equipment in place for you. Do you have help at home? If not, I think you can still get carers to visit for, well, it used to be 6 weeks to help with your needs. Havr you be given any reason why the Patella should suddenly fracture, you seemed to be doing so well with that knee. Thinking about you x
 
Thanks @sistersinhim and @Anniemof .
It’s not clear why my patella should have fractured. Basically, the top bit where the tendons/ligaments (?) attach has snapped off. But I wasn’t doing anything unusual or strenuous, just trying to get out of bed after surgery.
 
Oh Fiona...I am so very sorry. :console2:
I pray that it heals naturally and also for your comfort and peace of mind. :prayer:
@FionaW
 
Dang! This is a bummer. I wonder why that happened. Just remember what George Harrison sings: All things must pass. (That's what I sang to myself when I had post-surgery miseries.) I think he could have been talking about this bad chapter of your life. You are strong, girl. Eventually, you will be all right. Please keep us posted.
 
Love George Harrison and love that song!

Fiona, I’m so sorry about your patella fracture. I’m sure you’ll be a good patient and rest and take care of that leg. And hopefully that means it will heal up well with no surgery needed!

Wishing you all the best.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom