TKR Two New Knees and Hot to Trot

Status
Not open for further replies.
new knee in June. Hi Diana! Well, you sound like you are doing fabulous too!! As far as the swelling goes, icing and elevating are about it. The knee tightens up after you use it..I found that when I started to do the PT,the movement would move some of the fluid out of the knee and it would loosen up. But since the knee and soft tissues are still healing, after being used they will inflame again.

I did not use a CPM machine at all..my surgeon does not see any value to them, and research does not show any difference in outcome by using the CPM.

You will find that sometimes just standing and walking will cause the tissues to swell. That tightness is swelling of the soft tissues in and around the knee compartment.

The swelling will eventually go away..the tightness too, but it doesn't happen overnight. There is a lot of serious healing going on and we do use that knee while it heals. My advise is to elevate, ice, walk short distances periodically. If it were me, I would stop using the CPM. You have a great ROM so far, and it really isn't necessary now in my opinion. Let your tissues relax instead of being in constant motion so much. Just keep up the gentle stretches.

Are you using a cane now? My PT told me that When you use the cane instead of the walker, you are putting more demand on the tissues in the knee..more weight directly on them, and more demand as we use the knee for balance. He said that I may find the knee would get tight and swell a bit more temporarily until the tissues heal and settle down. I found he was right. So his advice was to use the cane during the day, but go back to the walker in the evening when the knee tissues were tired.

Other than that dear one, ice, elevation, and going about things slowly and not rushing is it. I still have swelling, and tightness,..it is absolutely normal and to be expected. Out knee tissues have taken a major hit. They have to heal, and that takes time and much patience.

Great to hear from you!! Please keep me up to date on your progress!! It sounds like you are having a great recovery!!
 
Toni,
Thank you so much for your quick reply. Everything you have said makes perfect sense. I have just gone to a cane
& sometimes I don,t use anything ( just around the house) i guess with pain meds I think I can do more than I
Should. I am on the cpm 3 times a day for an hour & a half, then do exercises right after. Starting tonight only 1 hr. on the cpm
I can,t stop it is written as a prescription. I am also going to take 1 day off a week to just ice & elevate nothing else,except
Gentle stretching
I have also been putting pressure on my knee in therapy
I really don,t want to mess my knee up at this point in therapy. I will speak to my therapist on Monday about taking it easy.
Just because I can do everything she asks me to, doesn't,t mean I should
I have surgeons app. On Wednesday & will ask for something for soft tissue swelling.
Thank you so much Toni....your answer was spot on
Have a great weekend & continue doing as well as you are.
Diana
 
Hi, Well, some people are doing very well indeed! :happydance: Yes, you can give your Dr. some credit but, give yourself a pat on the back as well for a job well done. You took over when you left the hospital.
I'm feeling great. thanks for asking.I have been busy. Shopping, cooking and freezing extra meals (Trying to keep the man from the supermarket) :whistle:. I'm still calm and collected. The only decision left to make is to have a spinal or a GA. I asked the Dr. what he would choose and he said "I'd be put under so I wouldn't have to think about it,but then again I'm male. Women are the stronger sex!" He wasn't much help.:gaah: I think i'll go for the spinal and happy juice.
Time for a bath and bed
Wanda :yawn:
 
@Myway, I hear that spinal and joyjuice causes much less nausea than general. I had the spinal and juice and had very little trouble in the nausea department. All the best on Tuesday. will be tinknaya. Joe
 
Toni,
How are you my dear :kittykiss: good i hope
I took yesterday off & feel so much better :) do I dare say I have been thinking of
My muscular warriors. Could I be feeling better...I hope so
I have secured from Sonja, 2 muscular warriors & a chariot for
My way to escort her to the hospital on Tuesday morning
Now, won,t that be a sight :shocked:
Thinking of you.....all my best.....diana
 
new knee in June. Hey there ladybug!! Good to hear you're feeling better. Sometimes we just have to have days when we don't do a darn thing but relax.

Sooo, you've talked Sonja out of 2 of our Warriors..did she put up much of a fight to get them? LOL. And a chariot no less !!!

I can just see My Way pulling up to the hospital in that chariot with the Warriors.. What a way to start surgery day.

I'm hanging in..still have soo much swelling. Just the knee, not anywhere else. My incision line looks crinkly, and puffy, and looks like it is meandering instead of straight,because of the swelling.

Last knee, I had zero swelling. I have to say the assistant that did the surgical closure on tthis one did a sloppy job.

As swollen as it is, my ROM is still 123-126 unassisted. I am laying flat and elevating more than not. It's gotten so I have memorized every little line in the ceiling!! LOL

We'll have to be sure to let My Way know we are watching out for her..June Sunbeams hang together!!

Thinking of you too Diana, and I can't tell you how happy I am you're doing so well. :friends:
 
hey Toni, all good news here.. today did some cleaning up in the garden while on crutches. then I pulled out the stationary cycle and dusted it off, and managed to do a forward rotation without making the seat higher, was a bit of a shock but i did it. then tried peddling backwards, easy! and some gentle pedaling forwards. I had an afternoon nap after hanging up all the washing. so glad to have my staples out!! scar looks very neat, i normally heal quick, he cut on the same place as last time I thought they didnt do that? I had a nice soak in the bath.. with my right leg hanging out... and had a good sunday
 
Hey there DAJ. You are one busy bee! It sounds like you're having a great recovery too! The June Sunbeams are just flying along.
Ohhh, I'll bet that bath felt good..I'm a bath person. Nothing I love better than have a nice, hot bubble bath, especially in the winter when it is cold. Love to get in the hot water and warm up and relax all the muscles before snuggling up in bed.

I had a nice hot shower about an hour ago..heavenly..slathered on some nice body lotion all over (exept my knee) put on my comfy lounger, and had a cup of tea.

Going to take a pain pill in a few, and take a nice long nap before hubby brings me dinner.

Take care my friend!! You're doing so good!! :happydance:
 
thanks Toni Titianlady hope your evening is snuggly and good. my bath was super fabulous, I love a soak, actually tinted my hair today too , baked bread, made meatloaf, picked lettuce from my garden and nursed my tomatoes. my kitty is now curled up next to me, its late here.

BOY Its good to be back home!
 
gee guys, A chariot and two lusty warriors! I"ll be lucky if they don't place me on the pysc. unit!:yikes: what an entrance I'm gonna make.:rotfl:
Sounds like you are having a wonderful day. Bubbles and dinner no less! I think you should push it a little and ask for a massage.:)
Wanda
 
Hello Toni,
I hope your swelling is down today :) I had a rough p.t this morning. I was basically crying 2 hours before she
Even got here. :boohoo: anxiety I suppose.
Wednesday I have app. With surgeon, I'm going to ask for an anti-inflamitory.
I have acetaminaphen in with Percocet, so I am only addressing the pain not the swelling.
I think it will help.
I have cancelled the warriors for my way...she thinks they may try & operate or take off with the nurses..?
Too much stress for her....she needs calm & relaxed
All my best to you....back to icing &elevating :kittykiss:
Diana
 
Hi new knee in June. Diana...Ohhh. I'm so sorry you are having a rough day..this recovery takes a toll on us physically and emotionally..
I'll send you some calming energy ladybug.. I can't take oral anti inflammatory meds at all..no Ibuprofin, naproxen, nothing.

Do you have a compounding pharmacy where you live? One that will custom blend a prescription for you? If so, ask your surgeon for a prescription anti inflammatory cream. My surgeon wrote me one for a custom blended cream of ketoprofen and lidocaine.
The anti inflammatory drug is absorbed through the skin and doesn't go to the stomach.

It worked wonders for my swelling, and the cream base felt wonderful to rub into my knee too.

I wish I could send you my physical therapist..he could have been hand made by Bonesmart. No pain, ever. I actually look forward to his visits.

Diana, surgeons just never tell us how long it takes to recover from this surgery. It takes a full year. We don't start feeling mostly human until 3 months. Icing, elevating, and stretching and such have to go on the whole time, just less frequently as more months go by.

I don't want you to get frustrated if, after just a month you think you should be done with the elevating and icing, tightness etc.. At one month we are only 1/12th of the way there!! In reality, there are 11 more months of elevating and icing ahead for us.

As things slowly heal,movement will get better.

Tell your PT you want to regain daily function..you are NOT strength training, and not to even go there. Frankly, there is no reason for the PT to try and bend you leg for you at all. With your ROM already, tell the PT you just want to make sure your form and gait is correct. Ask to be shown the correct way to sit, and stand using the knee. The rest will come with just using your knee to live and get around on a daily basis.

There will be great days, and so-so days along the way..all normal with this journey. As we say recovery is a marathon, not a sprint, and can be two steps forward, one step back at times.

I'll be keeping an eye on you..you can vent, cry, laugh any time you need to. Hope I can help you feel better.
 
Well, how was dinner last evening? Did you get the massage? I'm just popping in on you guys to say hi as I'm not sure when I'll be able to post. I forgot to ask if the hospital has wifi. It's a big teaching hospital so I assume there should be access. I think it will be a sleepless night. I have to be at the hospital at 7 am and it's an hour away. Early rise and I'm afraid I'll sleep in.:yikes:
take care of those knees
Wanda
 
Toni,
Thanks for the pep talk. My therapist is great :) it's me. I freak out before she is even in the door :yikes: if I ask her
To skip an exercise, she says" no, I'm afraid we can't& she gentle Leeds me through. Did you hear about the compound pharmacy
In the news awhile ago. Hundreds of people died because they received dirty steroid shots in their back. Happened right here in
Massachusetts. :shocked:
I understand we have been sawed, cut, manhandled, and had metal shoved in our knee. But a year to recoup. Seems
Awfully long. All I want is to go back to work....& not :cry: all the time.
I won' rush....but, I also don't think it,s to much to ask....to be happy again :)
Thanks for listening Toni....your the best.....diana
 
new knee in June Diana, you will feel much, much better in just a couple of weeks! Really! The full recovery takes a long time, but things start to turn around really well about 4-6 weeks out. You're having a great recovery, and I can tell that it won't take much longer until you see a huge difference between now and then.

I feel pretty darn good after 18 days. You wait and see..in another 18 days things will have picked up like mad for both of us!! :)
 
Toni,
Thank you so much for getting me out of my pity party :) I don't know what my problem is but, I can do
Everything myself, cook, shower, cleaning. My pain is only from swelling & there are people far worse than I.
I do feel I should start getting out more.
I have been watching George Zimmerman trial on CNN....good while I'm on cpm machine.
I would give anything to see the movie "the heat"with Sandra bullock & Melissa McCarthy.....it looks so hilarious
I believe you when you say the next few weeks will get better. P.t today & surgeon app. Tomorrow.
At least I will get out of the house.
Take care& thanks again...you always make me feel better :kittykiss:
Diana
 
How are you doing Toni? Hope that the swelling is under control

Diana - you are doing really well - able to do so much more than me at the moment so do not be hard on yourself
 
Hi puffin. The swelling is getting better..still there, but, from first hand experience I know it's normal at this stage and will settle down when it is ready. My PT has released me from therapy. I am able to do everything, so now it's just time and healing.

It's 18 days out of surgery and I am walking without aid..no walker, and no cane. Knee is good and stable,flex and extension are excellent, and meverythingnis coming along as it should.

Don't worry if you don't see improvement every days. Improvement comes in weeks and months, not days. Improvements come in subtle degrees..sometimes we aren't even aware of theme. Just because they aren't show stoppers, doesn't mean they aren't significant.

Strange as it seems, sometimes the 4 week to 6 week mark can be tough. Angry tissue, nerves waking back up, muscles being used..and it can feel like we're taking a step backwards..but that's just the nature of this recovery..

Please take care of yourself, and don't get discouraged. Considering your prior injuries, you are doing very well.
 
Toni - you are doing really well - what a great recovery :egypdance:
Thanks for the encouragement as the 4-6 week angry tissue sounds exactly like what I am experiencing at the moment
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom