TKR Two New Knees and Hot to Trot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah Toni, It's horrible when that time comes. :console2: I had three cats for 16 years (we took the entire litter) and had to do the deed 3 times in one year. We now have to face the same thing with our 15 year old setter. His hips are giving out and he has a lump on his back.
I am happy you are progressing well.:SUNsmile:
Wanda
 
Hi Toni, I'm so glad to hear you're progressing well. Get your old PT guy back I say, he sounds great and you'd feel happier with him. I'm sitting here with tears rolling down my face at the thought of your pain having had Newman euthanaised. It just brings back sad memories of all my precious animals I've euthanaised in the past. It always amazes me with animals how they hide something as big as cancer until the moment they are so unwell you have to euthanaise them - one of my cats did the exact same thing. You've got beautiful memories, and know you gave Newman a loving, happy home. Take care. Big hug. Jenny :friends: :kittykiss:
 
Thank you everyone for your warm and caring posts..yes, we will miss our Newman, but in our hearts we both knew he didn't suffer, and I know he felt our love.
 
So sorry to hear about your cat.
Glad your PT is going well--and that you had the good guy for the first knee so you know when this new guy is talking through his hat. :wink:
 
Hi, Toni - I am also so sorry to hear about the loss of your precious cat. I'm an animal lover (one dog and 3 cats) and had to put a previous dog and cat down 3 weeks apart. That was 5 years ago and i could still cry over them if i think about them too long. I hope you have a speedy recovery and then go out and rescue a kitten who needs a loving home.

Hugs,
Denise
 
[Bonesmart.org] Two New Knees and Hot to Trot
I am so sorry to hear about Newman. Our fur babies are so precious to us and their absence leaves a hole in our hearts. Pleased that your recovery is coming along--sorry that this knee is being difficult--but it will come around eventually.

Take care, Toni, and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Two New Knees and Hot to Trot
 
Hi everyone.. I feel better today after a rather down weekend..had my PT come today and put my knee through some paces. 9 days out of surgery and my knee is finally settling down. I have 109 degrees flexation and 0 extension. The swelling has gone down. The PT said that it very well could have been that the barometric pressure here has changed rather strangely the last 4 days. First it is sunny and hot, then all of a sudden we have a rain or thunder storm. Today is overcast, and trying to rain, tomorrow will be sunny, clear and hot..crazy weather patterns for this time of year here.

Have a very sore IT band due to the tourniquet and lots of deep purple bruising right on the area. He said it would settle down once the deep tissue bruising subsides.

Hope everyone is doing well!
 
Wow Toni, I envy your 109 ROM after only nine days :yes!: The bruising will soon settle down. You are doing really well, good for you :yay:
 
Thanks KathyH. Yes, my leg a lovely technicolor show of purples and blues, and greens etc.. I really got manhandled this time. Lots of ice and elevation. I spend about 90% of my time elevating and icing. Following the mantra to the letter.

The nurse comes Friday to remove the staples. Then I can take a nice long,heavenly shower! I am soooooo looking forward to that.
 
Oooh, I bet you are looking forward to that shower. I must admit those earlier showers sooooo wore me out. I had to have a real long lie down after each one.

Having the staples removed, heavenly, well not actually having them out, but after they have gone :heehee:

That's the way to do these early days - icing and elevating - it's the only way. Sorry to hear about your bruising, but they will soon fade.
 
Hi Toni,
You are doing great. My surgery was june3 so I am just starting week 4. I finally stopped crying and talking to
Jesus Christ ( you know, what did i ever do to deserve this) i am moving constantly between therapy and c.p.m machine.
My rom is 105 and o. I am still having trouble sleeping but can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.
If I can return to work by the end of July I will be a happy sunbeam.
All my best to you.........hugs.....diana
 
new knee in June. I'm glad you've stopped crying dearheart!! Recovery is deffinately not the most comfortable thing to go through, that's certain!! You sound like you're coming along just fantastic..105 degrees bend and 0 extension at 4 weeks is super!! WAY TO GO!!!!!

Ohhh, do I sympathize with the lack of sleep. If I had to pick, I lack of sleep is probably the most frustrating thing about recovery
Last year with my first knee, I thought I'd go insane from lack of sleep..It was torture. It took me MONTHS to finally sleep more than a couple hours on a consistent basis.

Thank goodness you are getting your sleep patterns back a bit at a time..it will only get better. 4 weeks out from surgery is a funny time..right smack in the 'angry tissue' phase. All the nerves are waking up, the muscles are starting to get back with the program, and now some strange zings and pains start to manifest.

Don't panic if you wake up one morning and wonder..what is that strange feeling, or ache. It is normal, normal, normal.

I'm still in the energy drain phase big time. Just doing my stretches and PT cause me to be wiped out. Last evening I fell asleep right in the middle of taking a bite of dinner from my fork!! My husband said he watched me get some food on the fork, raise it and then just disappear before it got to my mouth. :rofsign:

There I was, sitting up with a loaded fork in my hand, sound asleep.
 
Hi all. Had my PT today. Looks like I won't need out patient PT at all. Things are going well with this one. ROM continues to get better..it was 110/0. I started to transition to a cane today. PT told me that probably by the end of next week, I will be released from therapy.

Looking forward to having these staples out on Friday, and a proper shower!!! Did manage to wash my hair at the kitchen sink..boy did that feel wonderful. Dry shampoo doesn't cut it for me.

new knee in June. How are you coming along?? My way Watch out for the Warriors!! RestAssured Sonja, you take good care of them and don't give them any more bad habits!!
 
Wow you are doing really great - fantastic ROM

You will feel better once your staples are out and you don't have that nasty pulling feeling

I know all about the energy drain as I keep falling asleep - hoping to get more energy soon :spin:
 
Puffin,

I would give anything ( well except more surgery) to take naps again! LOL :happydance:
 
Toni, so sorry to read about your dear little kitty. We've lost three so far--a 17-yr-old whose kidneys failed and had to be euthanized; an 18-yr-old with Graves' disease and a saddle thrombus whom we medicated successfully for two years before she suffered a stroke at home and a fatal one while staying at the vet; and an almost-8-yr.-old who outgrew congenital FIV at 6 months and who died suddenly of cardiomyopathy: his little heart had stretched so far it simply gave out. We're trying to keep our current 17-yr-old alive: a year ago he was diagnosed with kidney failure and has had to be on a special diet and get a subcutaneous hydration infusion every other day. He's still full of spit and vinegar but can't understand why he can't have his treats any more.

You're making great progress. My therapist would take things more gradually but for insurance company constraints: I can't be discharged till I'm at >90/3, and though my gait with cane and walker is natural, she's concerned my quads are still too weak (my right one, when stressed, actually shakes and twitches). She thinks I should be in till at least Mon. but my insurer guaranteed me only through tomorrow. Meanwhile, my therapy schedule includes Sat. Stay tuned.
 
:friends: :friends: Dulcimer Diva. Sandy, don't you just hate it when the insurance company 'knows' better than the medical professionals who actually treat you and know your situation first hand!!! I hope there is a way to allow you to stay where you are until Monday.

What is your current ROM? I think as long as you can walk and function decently, then you should be fine at home. I think your poor quads are shaking and twitching because too much is being asked of them at this point..maybe too much walking , specially with the cane.

Well,keep me updated. Fingers crossed for you. :friends:
 
110 ROM before you've even had your staples out? :shocked: Wow, that is absolutely marvellous, Toni :happydance: :yay:
 
I am at between 87-93 flexion, depending on what position (seated or supine) and how hard I push or let my therapist push before saying "uncle." Last year, I was 102 at only 10 days--doubtless because my pain was under control due to getting 2 Norco round the clock instead of this stupid 6-pill-a-"day" limit (due to computer vagaries and a lackadaisical night nurse with a high pain threshold, sometimes effectively limited to only 4) supplemented by a long-acting oxymorphone I don't want or need (it does nothing for me). I also had PT only once a day and wasn't pushed hard, so I could recover and make progress daily. This time, because of illogical PT scheduling (only 4 hrs bet. morning & aft. PT, with the pain wearing off early if I take fewer than 2 Norco for the aft. session unless I insist on no ROM exercises) and a suddenly Puritan attitude on my OS' part about Norco (but apparently not about the more dangerous long-acting oxy which is a street drug in high demand), my pain is inconsistent and inadequately controlled. I get Tramadol (q.5 h PRN--but some nurses are opinionated as to how much I need and whether to give it to me), but unless I get Norco with it, the only effect it really has on my pain is to make me drowsy enough to nap through it.

It's not the walking nor even the seated-elliptical part of my therapy that is painful and causes swelling: it's the pushing hard to achieve ROM. I like the walking and there's not much of it compared to the painful stuff. I'm getting sick and tired of this and want to deal with ROM at home, where I and not some stupid computer and lazy nurse decides when my 24-hr "day" begins!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom