Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two New Knees and Hot to Trot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Today the swelling is much better. I have been elevating the leg almost straight up like the surgeon suggested. He called me first thing this morning to check on me. He told me it should be ok in a couple of days if I continue to elevate.

I have almost no pain! Once in a while the swelling will get uncomfortable from the pressure, but all in all, no pain other than that. I don't need to use the fentanyl patch at all, and I only take my oxycodone every 6 hours as a precaution.

The health nurse should be here tomorrow to change my dressing,mand then the PT to access everything else.

Time and patience will do the trick!!
 
I'm so glad things are getting better!:happydance:It's great you have no pain. I guess that's what resting and elevating does. now don't let that PT cause you grief. :)
 
hows it going Toni, hope youte getting lots of rest and no swelling x
today i managed to go upstairs with my crutches,14 of them, to lie down on my own bed. so happy. take it easy
 
Good to hear that the swelling has gone down, and your pain level is being kept under control! Good for you kiddo! :friends:
 
DAJ. Sounds like you're coming along just wonderfully!! The health nurse came today and changed my dressing...soooooo much bruising and still a lot of swelling. But, as we know, elevation and icing will do the trick!!

How's it feel to be sleeping in your own bed again?!!! Wonderful isn't it!

We'll just plug right along my dear, and watch the improvements.
 
Toni Titianlady hope that swelling goes down soon! I am amazed that you were able to go home after 24 hours. At that time I was still hooked up to all kinds of things and wondering (again) at my insanity.
Best of luck!
 
Toni, take heart--I had 90 flex/0 extension when I transferred from hospital to here, but over the course of 2 days of sitting in a wheelchair socializing and watching movies, elevating not quite high enough, and drill-sgt. PT yesterday my leg swelled and hardened from calf to glute & even groin. New PT is much more patient (though insistent) and explained exactly why swelling & stiffness happens: your leg has no idea that it has a brand new knee, only that it was sliced open, squeezed like mad with a tourniquet, broken in 2 places, filed and hammered and then stapled back together. The body responds to trauma like that by making its own cast: edema. It wants your leg not to move till it's healed but hasn't a clue that after knee replacement it has to get moving slowly and gradually so that it can function. If you do too much too soon, it will think you're reinjuring it and swell and stiffen even further--like a Ball Park frank plumping in a non-stretch casing. Your brain knows the difference between "hurt & "harm" but the primitive pre-paleolithic lizard brain that is your nerve & lymph system doesn't know it's 2013 and hasn't gotten the memo--it doesn't think "Extreme Makeover: Orthopedic Edition," it thinks "INJURY!" and acts automatically (and, it believes, accordingly).

Take it slowly, and don't get discouraged at setbacks--you'll have them but over time the improvements will outnumber the backslides. Rest, but that doesn't mean until the swelling disappears because it will stick around way too long. Push gently--to the point of discomfort but stop if you feel pain. Don't overdo but don't underdo either. You'll get there.
 
Dulcimer Diva. It sounds like you are coming right along also. Yes, I swelled up to a degree that was frightening. And it's still so tight and swollen. I get up a couple times a day to walk gently, and I can feel the swelling start as soon as I'm verticle. I didn't have any swelling with my right knee at all. Yes, no two do the same that's for sure.

I can't bend my leg worth a darn..just barely. I spend my day elevating way above my heart line, with ice. The leg is bruised badly. Looks like the surgeon really manhandled me this time as I have hand and finger bruise prints all down my calf, and thigh .. knee itself is black and blue and swollen.

Ahh, another day in recovery land. But, this too shall pass. Take care Diva
 
I'm so glad things are getting better!:happydance:It's great you have no pain. I guess that's what resting and elevating does. now don't let that PT cause you grief. :)

hi My way!! Oh, I sure won't let the PT hurt me at all. I think he will be here tomorrow at noon. I have my husbands permission to smack him if he hurts me! LOL
 
Hey Toni how are things?
:yikes: :dancy: :sigh: Me>trying to mop floors and tidy up from my wheel chair.
swollen and sore and ready for bed
 
hi DAJ. LOL I can just see you pushing a mop with your power chair!! My PT came this afternoon. It was NOT the wonderful PT I had last year. :gaah: He is a nice enough fellow, but I will probably give him a couple more visits before I insist on my original PT. His philosophy on rehab is not agressive so far, but he does NOT do the wonderful massage that I got from my guy. My original guy did a wonderful massage before I did rehab, and this new guy says NO, it isn't needed for knees, and can cause blood clots. I think he's got a clot between his ears!!

He also said he wants me off my walker as fast as he can get me there..my original guy said it was not a race and to use it as long as I felt I needed . Ohhh, brother, night and day difference in training.

I plan on following my original PTs advise. Depending on what happens with the next visit, I may probably be insisting on my guy back again.

The good news is my swelling, although still there, is not as bad as it was, and I am at 92 degrees flexation again, and 0 extension.

The PT said my walking gait was perfect, and I was ahead of the curve for just 6 days out of surgery. ( it sure doesn't feel like it!! )

It is amazing how different each knee recovery is from one knee to the other!! This one has lots of swelling, while the other didn't, etc..

Ok ladies, let's all have good days and we'll just keep on getting better and better. (((((( HUGS. )))) to all of you!!
 
Hello Toni, I am so glad your swelling is down and your pain is well controlled. Today is the first day I didn't, cry. My family has come to the conclusion that I am a whiner.....can you believe that.....my daughter works in a daycare and has informed me that two year old children are braver than I am. When my nurse discharged me she left strict instructions - no whining! And my PT agreed with everyone else that I do have a tendency to whine.......ha, ha, ha.......I'm not a very good actress

I am doing great ROM 100/0. Went to a cane today.....no swelling....I hate the pain meds and have not been outside yet because they make me dizzy.

Remember.....ice, elevate, pain meds on time
No whining....
Hugs to you....
Diana
 
new knee in June. Diana, LOL, you just tell everyone that you can whine all you want to!! You're doing fantastic!! Can you put your surgery date in your signature? I forgot just exactly when you had your surgery. ( drug fog..) heck, I forget my own name when I take these pain meds..

So here we both are with our knees wrapped in ice, elevated in the air like can-can dancers, pain med induced silly smiles on our faces, and wondering where our brain cells ran off to.
 
Toni, Its good to see that the swelling is going down. WOW to have finger prints on your leg. Well the good news that you are getting better. time will fly when the swelling gets better. Please take a easy. Tashia
 
Well, on top of trying to recover from TKR, I'm going through the pain of having had to euthanize my sweet, wonderful cat, Newman. He was fine when I left for surgery, and seemed fine when I came home, but Wednesday he didn't come out of the bedroom. Thursday he came in to the living room and his abdomin was bloated and swollen. I called the vet and my husband took him right in.

His abdomin was filled with fluid. After x-rays and an ultra sound, they found a huge mass in his abdomin. The vet said it was cancer. I felt horrible not being there with him, but my husband held him while he passed. He was 13 years old and was my sweet, gentle boy.

We both spent the latter part of the evening in tears. So, needless to say, I am a bit down right now. I will miss my sweet friend.
 
Toni, so sorry to hear about your sweet kitty cat. How terrible. I am also a cat lover, I have been all my life. I have pictures of myself as an infant under a Christmas tree in a box with my cat. I have a cat...mouse...who has conversations with me. She is part Burmese aand talks constantly. I know how comforting our furry friends can be to us.....big hug to you Toni, and again I am so sorry.
Take care. My dear
Diana
 
Awe Toni, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear sweet cat! (((HUGS))) I also had a beautiful cat for 18 years, and when we had to have her euthanized (cancer as well) we cried like babies! It's like losing a family member, very sad indeed! (((HUGS)))
 
Hi Toni, so sorry about your kitty, my cat is so dear to me and seems to be able to read me like a book. So the passing of your cat must be a knock. Sorry, hope you are feeling better, im getting stronger every day and soon will be free of crutches cant wait, im elevating as much as i can.
Hope your PT guy goes easy on you, speedy recovery xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom