BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[BILATERAL THRs] Twice as Nice - JennyLynne's recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by JennyLynne, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    @LAbabymama What are your kitchen chairs like? If they don't have a cushioned seat, I suggest using a small throw pillow under your bum. Avoid reaching across the table to help the kids. Keep your feet centered under you and you should be good. Don't give into the temptation to cross your feet!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. SarahBee

SarahBee graduate

United States United States
    @Carriemay60 , because I didn't have the crossing feet restrictions, how long do you have to avoid that? Just curious!

3. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

@Carriemay60 thankfully my dining chairs have cushioned seats. Unfortunately I’m short (barely 5ft) so my feet don’t touch the ground when I’m sitting. Should I put something under my feet?

4. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

So glad to see you are getting out and about but do take some off days in between. Wanted to share a post that was shared with me.
    How many of you have been in a shopping mall or an amusement park and have seen a map that says, “You are here.” It tells you where you are so you can locate what you have to do in order to get to where you want to be.

Well, here is more realistic chart of the “You are here” for a THR.

View attachment 41819

Too often you think, “Hey, I have been in recovery 5 or 6 weeks, and I should be here. After all, I have been at this PT/recovery thing for what I think to be long enough---why am I still sore, still stiff, still not where I want to be with my strength and flexibility? How come I don't have the stamina to do the things I want or need to do?”

You keep asking yourself the question, “Why am I not where I am supposed to be?” You are, in fact, actually just where you are supposed to be. The aspect to consider, though, is why you are where you are.

You need to consider what has been done to your hip. Your hip was sliced open; BONES WERE SAWED AND MAYBE HAD SCREWS DRILLED INTO THEM!!!; your OS and his assistants pounded and man-handled you while you were under anesthesia (they most likely were not very gentle!); things may have been glued to you, and finally---you were closed up! You have to consider what has happened to your hip---it has been surgically assaulted and it is angry. It will take quite some time for its anger to simmer down somewhat. It is the real “You Are Here!” Marker---not the one where you think you should be.

The key issue here is to understand that the hip is in charge of the recovery; it sets the time-table for recovery. Most of the time, it is slower than we would like it to be. But when you consider what has been done to your hip, you can understand why your hip is angry and why it will take longer than you think it should to fully recover. We tend to rush our recovery timetable and think that our hip can move forward faster than it actually can.

We have to be much more realistic in the “You are here” vs. the “You should be here”----you have to realize how long it may take to get to “Fully Recovered.” Once you come to terms with the idea that your hip sets the timeline for recovery as well as the actual slow speed of many THR’s, the markers make much more sense and are much more understandable.

Just keep it in mind---the “You are here” is from the hip's perspective, not from yours. The hip is in charge. You will reach the “Fully Recovered” aspect in your life, but your hip will set the schedule; your hip will set the speed, and your hip will let you know when you arrive.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
  6. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Great item @Mojo33 and I’m afraid that IS the reality!! But it’s still amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

Hope that comedian date is a little way off @JennyLynne
    That did make me chuckle... booking tickets whilst under the influence!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  8. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

@Mojo333 thank you for sharing this. Your timing is perfect because I’m nearing that one month mark that feels like it should mean more than it may actually mean. Also, it’s when others start to expect more of us (cough::my husband::cough).

I was thinking about this last night as it relates to pain meds. I’m only taking Tylenol during the day. Could I do more / walk more / etc if I took pain meds? Maybe. Is that a good thing? I really don’t know. Does more movement means faster recovery or would I be masking signs that I’m pushing to far? Honest question.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good Morning, Jenny
    I see you have a question regarding pain meds.
    @Josephine would be best to weigh in on that so I'll tag her and we'll see how she advises.
    I hope you have a nice weekend!

10. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

11. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

@Josephine yes, that would be great. I have one more question I would appreciate your professional opinion on- when my staples were removed at 2 weeks, they applied steri strips. I was told they would fall off on their own in about 5 days. Now, almost 2 weeks later, most of them are still on. Do I leave or should I remove? Thanks!

12. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Mine started peeling up on the edges and after trimming those off, the whole thing lifted in just a two or two. I gently pulled the rest off. It was like they were just laying there, no pull at all.

13. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

IF Jo does advises you remove them, gently rolling them off is easier than pulling.

14. Josephine

I've never been able to understand why patients in the US are told to 'let the strips fall off'. It's daft. Since they were applied after the staples or stitches were removed, which presumably were after the wound was well healed, they are not needed for more than a few days at the most. To me, it's a kind of 'belt and braces' thing - totally unnecessary!

As for the questions, here there are

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
    This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
    (which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
    - how many sessions you do each day
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
    - how many times a week
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

15. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Hi @Josephine

1. Posterior with staples

2. 1 when at rest, 2-3 when up and moving, sometimes a 4 by end of day

3. 1,000 mg of Tylenol 3x a day, and 10 mg Percocet at bedtime

4. Ice 3 to 4 time a day, approx hour each time

5. Was elevating most of day until this week. This week, I started sitting in a chair for an hour or two at a time (feet on floor), alternating with elevation.

6. Shorts stints on feet to bathroom, make a quick lunch. Short walk in afternoon (10 min) or a brief outing for a meal. Full flight of stairs approx 2x a day, sometimes 3x.

7. Do quad and glute sets (hold 5 seconds, 10 reps) after I’ve been laying a while- about 3 times a day.
    Had home PT twice a week for last 3 weeks- very light exercises until final session
    - sitting marching
    - sitting leg straitening
    -standing with crutches- toe taps to front, side and back; marching; going up on toes (15 reps of each, one set)

My PT discharge appt was brutal but one time and one time only, so not relevant going forward.

Short walks of about 10 min. My legs get tired, my back starts to ache. I feel like I should be able to increase the duration but so far, I haven’t. This is where I really want to see progress!

Many thanks for your insight!

16. Josephine

Not bad for only 4 weeks out.
    I think you need to take the Percocet at least 3 times a day at this early stage. And be careful of the Tylenol usage, that you don't exceed 3,000mg per 24hrs.
    Very good!
    Make sure you elevate correctly. Did you read this article earlier in this thread, in the Recovery Guidelines? Elevation: the do's and dont's
    Once a day would be plenty until you get to week 6.

I expect you missed the Recovery Guidelines in the second post in this thread? It contained a paragraph titled "THE BIG TIP" Did you see it.

This was it
    Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

17. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Thanks @Josephine I appreciate your input very much!
    I removed all but a few of the steri strips as well. The only left are quite stuck so I am going to give them a couple more showers. But it’s great to have removed over 20!!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Josephine

Oh don't bother about more time! You're 5 weeks out - pull'm off!

19. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Yes ma’am! (4 weeks tomorrow!!!)

• Like Like x 1
  20. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

4 weeks today... feeling pretty good! Removed all of the Steri-Strips. Scars look ok, in that they seem to be healing well. But, puckered and quite unattractive. Right side is several inches longer than left! Glad I ordered some skirted swimsuits!!

Had a nice Mother’s Day brunch at a friends home. I was super nervous as I’ve never been to their home. My anxiety went into overdrive in the morning- are there lots of steps, low seating, impossible toilets???? Funny how I can really spin on these things!

In the end, it was lovely! An easy home to navigate, truly outstanding food and well deserved glass (ok- 2) of champagne!

Spent the afternoon resting and watching movies with my son and then my husband grilled my favorite dinner- lamb chops. Top it off with Game of Thrones, and I’d call it a nearly perfect Mother’s Day!

Hope you moms in Bonesmart land had an equally lovely day!

Going to outpatient PT eval today. Not sure if or how long I’ll stick with it, but going to at least give it a try.

• Like Like x 8