BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[THR] Tweetybrd's new hip!!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Tweetybrd, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Stellac

Stellac

United States United States
    • Like Like x 2
  2. DizzyBlond

DizzyBlond

HURRAY!!!!! I was thinking about you as January rolled around - wow, what a long wait you had!! So glad it's all done with that you're doing so well!! Just chiming in to say "hi!" and let you know how happy I am for you!!!!
    :loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:

3. KCDawg34

KCDawg34

Sounds like you are doing great. Congrats and best wishes for continued success in your recovery.

• Like Like x 2
  4. leejaa

leejaa

You are doing awesome, congratulations.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd

@DizzyBlond Thanks for checking on me!!! Great to hear from you! It was a long wait but it was sooooo worth it. My doctor is absolutely the best. I didn't even bruise very much. And I'm a bruiser.

I went for my first walk outside yesterday afternoon. Went up two houses from mine and back. My legs are definitely out of shape. The good leg was even burning. I am trying to walk everywhere without limping. It is pretty hard. I have that one leg is longer then the other feeling that I know will go away in a few months.
    My husband went back to work this morning, so that is kind of weird. I'm pretty sure he was looking forward to it. LOL He is not the kind to just sit around and he did a lot of that with me. My mom is here for another month, so that is a huge help. Over all, (knock on wood) this has been way easier then I thought it would be. :yay:
    Hope all the rest of the January Jackpots are doing well. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. mlsread

mlsread

• Like Like x 2
  7. OUCH!

OUCH!

Yay!!!! Welcome to the other side!
    You sound like you are doing so well!!! I'm so happy for you!

@chatterz and @Sunny girl I'm guessing the patch was scapalomine. My hip replacement was my 14th surgery. It was the first surgery that I didn't wake up throwing up. The difference was the scapalomine patch. I will never have another procedure without one. Doesn't matter if I have general anesthesia, light sedation, spinal, epidural etc I throw up afterwards.

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd

@OUCH! Thanks! How are you doing? Are your knee and hip getting along?

9. baclectic

baclectic

When I am stressed my gums become inflamed. I've found if I take mega Vitamin C it goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Sunny girl

Sunny girl

Australia Australia
    Good to hear of your updates @Tweetybrd, and amazing to see you are still active and so encouraging in others' posts, even as you heal. Generous, sweet girl that you are.

Fantastic, this positive message is exactly the sort of thing others need to hear who are feeling nervous, or thinking of delaying surgery. It is do-able, and nothing to fear!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd

Thanks @Sunny girl !!
    I feel sometimes like I have neglected some of the newbies who are here looking for encouragement and help but it is kind of hard to keep my mind focused on pain meds. :scratch::what:

Any word on how long you have to wait for your other hip?:sad:

12. Sunny girl

Sunny girl

Australia Australia
    Time for you to focus on healing @Tweetybrd - your own thread reports are incredibly helpful in their own right, and very reassuring to newbies. You keep going with those meds!

Was lovely to hear you walked outside, that's always a booster to be in the fresh air without four walls :)

Still no word on hip 2. Thank you so much for asking. I now have some one-legged exercises to do for my new hip, which protect hip 2 - so feel a bit better that I can do something practical to strengthen myself. When the surgery time comes, my recovery (on my new good hip) will be a very different experience :)

13. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd

I went for two walks today. Both just up two houses. LOL:walking:

That is good you are doing strengthening stuff for the new hip that will help you out for the next one. :) I hope you don't have to wait too long. I am sure you are already ready. :rolleyes:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. jaymo

jaymo

So glad you are doing well and getting out for short walks! It feels so good to get outside on your own 2 feet right? I started small like you just went a few houses down and back. Did that for a few days then increased slowly. I felt like a rock star those first few weeks! All I could think was that I'm walking and it doesn't hurt! Take pride in these achievements. Think how long it took for you to get to this point. This is life changing stuff. Keep up the good work and rest too. And keep us posted on your progress. I love hearing success stories!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. mlsread

mlsread

• Like Like x 2
  16. leejaa

leejaa

It must feeel so great to be able to go outside for a walk and not hurt. Unfortunately I am in the snowy northeast and on top if I am in the country so no sidewalks. Walking around the house regularly though. I enjoy reading of your progress.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd

I do feel kind of like a rockstar!! haha My husband told me last night that it is so good to see me smiling and not looking so worn out tired all the time. My energy (even with the energy drain at times) is higher then it has been in a few years. I can totally see how others I have read about on here have over done things so easily.
    I never did get a power recliner, and it has been fine. However, I am dependent on my family to put the leg thing down on my couch. The last few days as they think I am doing to much they refuse to put it down for me so I have to just keep sitting there. :hairpulling: They all think it is totally funny.:heehee:

@leejaa I am very thankful that I live in Arizona and don't have to worry about the cold, snow and or rain outside. I am also thankful my surgery was in January and not July. I would not want to be outside walking in 110 degree weather either. :holysheep: Hopefully, you can get your walking in, in your nice warm house. :wink:

• Like Like x 8
  18. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    SO happy to hear such positive and happy updates. You're better than a rockstar!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. Sunny girl

Sunny girl

Australia Australia
    That lifting of OA pain is nothing short of miraculous. Pain affects everything we do, think and say. So good you are smiling again @Tweetybrd . You ARE a rockstar, in more ways than one (awesome to everyone here).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd

Good morning!!! I hope everyone is doing well. :SUNsmile:
    Guess what!? I made it all night in my bed!!! I had to get up at the same time I have been (5ish am) to get a pain pill and ice pack but I just went back to bed and slept until 7:30. Woke up pretty stiff but only took a few minutes of walking around for that to go away. I still can not sleep on my side. I tried it again last night (only the 2nd time I tried) and my hip just starts aching with in 10 minutes or so. I will wait another 5 or 6 days and try again. :)

I just went for my walk outside and made it up 5 houses today. That is with in about 500 yards or so of our mailbox. I will try to make it to the mailbox maybe by Sat or so. Once I do it will be the first time I could go walk to check the mail in probably 2 years. So happy!! :happydance:

I am starting to do little things around the house, straightening up with my grabber and putting things away, getting myself breakfast, helping with laundry some. Feels good to be able to mostly take care of myself again. :)
    Nice to wake up and feel like I am rested also, instead of still so tired that I want to just got back to bed but know that will only make me hurt more.
    Anyone who is still nervous or having second thoughts about this surgery. DON'T!!! It is so worth it. :wowspring:

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1