THR Tweetybrd's new hip!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tweetybrd, congrats on an uneventful surgery! That's the best kind! I am interested in that behind the ear patch for the nausea - sounds heavenly. Good thoughts to you as you begin your recovery!

Lovely to hear from you ! Sounds like you are doing a great job and your family is a great support ! Keep up the good work

I think your idea of gentle walking pt is the way to go as well. I did go to a pt appointment one week after surgery. It was a push to get into and out of the car and the therapist had me do these innocuous seeming exercises. It didn't help that there was a fire alarm and we evacuated the building down the stairs (lead with the bad side). I was sore that whole day. Since then I decided, like you, to go back if I need help with something specific. Walking feels good but I seem to be pushing and overdo that if I'm not careful. I'm gonna ask at my post op appointment (in 2 days) about when I can expect to walk a mile without making things worse. MOM yes as well.

So that patch I had behind my ear was apparently doing a lot. LOL I had to take it off yesterday around noon. By evening I was not feeling good at all. I have never taken any of my meds without eating at least a few saltines usually more. Last night and this morning was no fun at all. I sat on the couch all morning with a trash can.:sick:
I sipped 7up and things got better. I am almost scared to take any pain meds now. I called in to the dr to see if they can call me in something for nausea but so far have heard nothing. Doing better this afternoon.
Thanks everyone for the replies, sorry I was MIA for a while. Just trying to rest and regain my strength.
I had a couple of friend stop by and bring me jamba juice and visit this afternoon, it was nice of them and thankfully they didn't stay very long. Off to have some dinner and another nap. I hope everyone in recovery is icing and resting. :)

That pill thing and app sounds amazing @B HIP !!

So sorry your nausea came back. I hope the doctor replies soon. No need to apologize for not writing - your primary goal is to rest and recover now though it was nice to hear how you are doing.

@Tweetybrd - oh, such a shame you've been feeling rotten. I am wondering why you had to take off the patch? I'm hoping by now you've got a script for anti-nausea meds and that you're well and truly on top of this. I was told by a nurse it's best to be upright if experiencing this, helps control it, not sure how true that is? Rest well, we're all thinking of you.

@Sunny girl, my patch after my second surgery was removed after 3 days because that's only how long they last. If a person has nausea then I would think that an oral anti-nausea med would always be available. I took an oral for awhile after my first surgery and it worked like a charm!

@Tweetybrd, I hope you can either get an anti-nausea med or start getting used to the pain meds. You don't have to suffer nausea, and I hope that you don't forgo your pain meds because of it.

Good morning all!!! A new day and better day!!! I was able to control the nausea in the afternoon and my OS's PA called around 6 pm and called me in an oral anti nausea to take. So I am much better this morning!! :ok:

@Sunny girl Krista is right, they only last 72 hrs and then you just take them off. I am very grateful for those 72 hrs now. HAHA

Am starting to be able to sleep longer in bed and only moving to the couch around 5 or 6 am now. I had my feet being sore on the muscle on the top and was puzzled for a few hours and then realized my blankets were tucked in to much and to heavy and pulling my feet down to much as I slept. We untucked them and added a massage roller under the blankets at the end of the bed last night to help keep them lifted up. So much better this morning. There is so much that your body goes through with this surgery that you don't expect. :wink:
I am no longer itchy but every where that I was I have dry skin. LOL.

The one thing that is kind of concerning me and making me not feel great is, the day I came home from the hospital I had a sore throat. I thought I had scratched it with a saltine but now I realize I have a cold sore kind of way back in my mouth at the start of my throat. I also have two or three others in my mouth. I have always gotten them under stress and take lysine(which I cant take atm) to combat them. I guess I am worried they will lead to an infection. I know they are a virus but I cant help worrying about it. :sigh:

I hope everyone is doing well!! :)

There is so much that your body goes through with this surgery that you don't expect.[/QUOTE]

Hi Tweety, I hope you get better each day. When you feel up to it I would love to hear about the things you didn't expect. I will have my anterior approach on Monday.

@mlsread Hi! I wish you all the best for your surgery.:)
Sure! The things I didn't expect are, I guess I didn't think about all the medicine that has to be put into our body's to have the surgery and make us comfortable after words. I had some kind of allergy reaction to something and was very itchy for the first three or so days. Then where I was most itchy I have dry scaly skin.
The stress of surgery has made me break out in cold sores in my mouth, that one I didn't expect either. Not fun.
My feet have been sore , more on the operated side, on the top and I think the muscles are just not used to all the laying around and all the blankets I have been using.
I get chilled really easy. I sat up on the couch last night for the first time without a blanket as we had company come to see me. Within 20 mins I was freezing! LOL
Everyone says I am taller!! I guess I have been limping and kind of walking hunched over so now they all think I look taller.:walking:
Over all it has been nothing like I thought it would be, not as scary going into surgery, not as painful coming out of surgery, not as painful the first few days of recovery, I'm much more functioning then I though I would be mentally and physically, I am sure I will have my bad days but at all most 1 week out I am very pleased with how it all has gone. The nausea was the worst part by far and it only lasted a night and a morning.
I go tomorrow for my post op appt. :)

I do not think virus would affect the hip but you might want to remember to check at your post op appt. Glad to hear you are progressing

Congrats on your first week with the new hip! Sounds like you are doing great and have lots of support. How did it go with your postop check?

I had to chuckle about the "looking taller" comment. I have heard that from everyone of my friends family and coworkers too! I must have been hunched over for a long time. But those days are behind us and now we are walking tall and standing proud:egypdance:

Keep up the good work, keep resting, healing, icing and walking. Every day gets a little bit better in some way. You will find yourself celebrating little things like showering on your own, getting in and out of car, walking to the mailbox. It's an exciting time as you get to know your new hip and begin doing things you haven't done in years. Keep us posted on your progress.

@Tweetybrd and @Krista, thanks so much for explaining about the patch. I'm going to ask about that next time.

So pleased to hear those nasty symptoms have abated Tweets. To me PONV is far worse than having hip surgery. I dreaded having it more than the op, and though I begged the anaesthetist to pour the drugs into me during surgery unfortunately I had a spell myself 36 hours later. The nurses wouldn't let me have the anti-nausea meds unless I actually felt nauseous, by which time it's too late. Durr. Those nurses were awful. Grrrr. Next time I will just claim to have it from the start so they administer the pills regularly. The pharmacist says it's the best way to control it, by taking regularly - as long as it's just short term. And I'll take my own stash into hospital as back up!

So good to hear how things are for you just a week on from your surgery. I got the chills too, weird isn't it? And the itches, but not as bad as you. As @jaymo says, you have all the little, but important milestones ahead, all very exciting - so much to look forward to. You went into your surgery with a wonderfully positive mindset and your observations about it not be as scary, not as painful etc are so very helpful for those looking in here who are waiting. Take care!

@Sunny girl, I think that waiting for nausea before getting the meds is cruel! I am very thankful that at the hospitals here where I have had surgeries, they try to prevent negative experiences, such as, giving anti-nausea meds from the beginning, and starting Miralax and stool softeners right after surgery to prevent constipation. I wish this was ordered everywhere.

Hi tweetybrd I no to well about all your going threw. I'm three weeks out on Tuesday off the walker nausea almost better pain control good mind a little cloudy can finally sleep more in bed a little less grouchy. Want to eat everything. Only walking and a little stretches as physical therapy. It better. I hope everything gets better for you. I'll update all after surgeon on Wednesday. Take care and blessed.:hi::flwrysmile::prayer::sleep:

Thanks for the words of encouragement ladies. :SUNsmile:
I saw my OS's PA yesterday. We did new xrays and everything looks great! I have a copy and if I figure out how to I will post them. My range of motion is wonderful. She moved my leg in ways it has not moved in years. And it didn't hurt!!:spin:
I have to take the aspirin for three more weeks but she said unless I get swelling in my legs I can stop wearing the TEDS.:yes!:
I have no restrictions. Which I cant hardly wrap my head around. I keep asking questions about something and she would say "no restrictions" LOL. I cant jump, run or carry over 50 lbs. That is for life. And I have the stupid antibiotics for dental and a few other procedures. She gave me three stretch's to start doing this weekend and a PT prescription. I do however need the gait training. I am still stepping with my foot rotated out a bit. I am really trying to correct it when I walk. So I will have to go to PT some. I am not going to start for another week or two.

I see my OS in about a month. We will do more xrays then, then at 6 months and then again at a year. Then I will do a yearly xray for the rest of my life. My right hip looks good. Just a little spot of OA in it. The left hip had a from birth condition that I didn't know about until all this started, along with hip dysplasia and OA. In my surgery notes he called it coxa valga and it was part of what he corrected.

I have moved off the walker to the cane. I finally have the pain meds down to a formula that works for me. I cut down the Oxy some. It is a fine line for me to help the pain but not knock my self out for 6 hrs. LOL Thankfully, they have given my 5mg pills and so I can take 1-3 every four hours. So I can take less.

@mlsread Since my nausea was on day 3 and 4 after surgery I am assuming it was pain meds related.

I hope everyone is doing great out there!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Air185
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom