BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[THR] Tweetybrd's new hip!!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Tweetybrd, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

United States United States
    @jaymo LOL walk like a girl! :heehee: I do think my gait issues is already getting better. So I am hopeful that I wont need much training on that front. I did call the PT and they had no appts this week, so I go next Wed. Which is fine by me. :) I will do what a few have said and go in and be honest and tell her what I want to do and if she doesn't want to go along with that I wont go back. I have been going for two short walks a day and every three or so days I increase the amount by a little. Working good so far and am able to walk faster now then at first.

We had our kids over for the Superbowl and even though I didn't do any of the cooking I think I stood on my feet too much. Even after all the warnings to be careful.:groan: I paid for it in the night with lots of achyness in my thigh and down into my calf. Seemed to zap my energy even more too. So yesterday I rested and didnt even go for my walks. Just iced and napped. Feel better today but still resting but have gone for one walk and getting ready to do my 2nd one. I seemed to have fought off the cold and my mom only has a little lingering cough now so I guess I got lucky.:thumb:

I hope all the other new hippies are doing well and taking care of them selves!! :)

2. Lotty78

Lotty78 Junior Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Tweetybrd loving catching up with your progress. Sounds like you are being very sensible. I'm adopting your attitude for my trip to the PT next week and if not prepared to work on what I want (side abduction .... Have none but found my abductors were cut as a child when I had hip dysplasia).... Then finding myself a new PT especially as I'm paying for it. Am aching today... New pistons in buttock and thigh... Think it is the walking (done about 6 houses up and back) and time on the bed to try desperately to get some sleep. Cannot get/stay comfy in bed so still confined to the chair. Tell me the is life beyond an armchair.
    I look forward to hearing more of your adventures. Go girl!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

3. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

@Lotty78 Sounds like a good plan!! I hope you are doing well. Take it easy on yourself. Slow and steady. :)

I hit the 3 week mark on Friday, doing well for the most part. Seems like my fight with the cold that was in the house is back after I thought I had it fought off. Or maybe its allergies. Have had the windows open a lot as it is nice weather and taking walks out side. :shrug:
    Still taking two short walks a day and increasing them slowly, starting to help with laundry and food prep. I have been getting my own breakfast for a while but lunch and dinner my mom and I do together. (or my husband when he is here).
    I have my PT appt on Wed morning and am a bit apprehensive about it. Have thought a few times about just canceling it all together. But next week I see my OS and if he asks if I started PT I want to be about to say yes. LOL Even if I don't go again. My gait is getting better and better every day and I have started "forgetting" my cane around the house. I seem to limp more without it.
    I ventured out of the house over the weekend to run some errand with my husband to a few stores. For the most part he went in alone but I did go in two places that were smaller and less walking. My silly seat belt connects almost right on top of part of incision. Have to remember to take a small pillow next time. :umm: Was good to get out but was I was tired. I came home and rested and iced.

Yesterday I cut out my nap time Oxy. So just taking one 5 mg at bedtime and Tylenol all the rest of the day. It seems fine to cut it out and Tylenol seems to take care of what pain I get now. Maybe in 4 or 5 days I can cut out the nighttime one. :ok: Or sooner. :)

I hope everyone else is doing well!! :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
  4. mlsread

mlsread Member

Hi @tweeybird I hear what you are saying about the pain down the buttocks. Weird. I have not been out in 14 days as today the winds are 60 mph and its been cold. I figure up and down the stairs counts for walking. @Lotty78 sleeping def gets better with time, thank goodness. I don't sleep a solid 8 hours but I have not had a need to ice or elevate in the middle of the night. I limp too if I forget the cane and still get nervous about full weight bearing but I feel really good about my progress. I too have no need for daytime meds but know they are there if I need them. I have to be really careful with the Tylenol as it makes me nauseous. Take care,ML

5. gertie

gertie Graduate

@Tweetybrd Sounds like things are moving right along for you! Forgetting your cane! Getting out and about! I found the car to be uncomfortable at first--the seat didn't hit me right--but that will get better.
    Re: PT--I think one reason I've had mostly good experiences with PT is that I know my body and don't hesitate to say no, that doesn't feel good or that doesn't work for me and I've always had therapists who respond positively to that. So, speak up.

6. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

I had my first PT this morning. It went really well. One of the first things she asked me was what was MY goal for PT. What did I want out of it. I was really surprised. I figured it was all about what the OS wanted you to do. haha
    We talked a long time and I flat out told her I didn't want anything over aggressive and really only wanted some stretches as I felt tight and to make sure my gait was ok. She agreed that over aggressive PT only makes it worse on the people long term. She doesn't even want me to stretch but really carefully atm as that could make my muscles tighter later. She says my gait is really pretty good, just a couple small things I am doing that we need to talk about and work to correct.
    We did some heat and massage and three small stretches. That was it! She wants to see me again on Friday and then twice next week. Then she agrees with me that once a week after that to check progress with me walking twice a day and doing stretches is plenty to rebuild muscles. I told her I do want to be able to get back out riding my bike but that I have a stationary bike in my house that I can start on. She asked if I had tried it yet and I said no. Her response was, don't try it yet please. LOL
    So (whew!) I feel better. :yay:

Thanks @gertie !! I listened and spoke up!:)

• Like Like x 2
  7. OUCH!

OUCH! Senior

So glad to hear how well you are doing @Tweetybrd and what a great PT appt! You will be out riding your bike in the sunshine before you know it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. jaymo

jaymo Member

Wow- what a great PT appointment! Good for you speaking up for yourself-it obviously worked to your advantage and now you can look forward to your PT sessions.

Sounds like you're doing well at this stage of recovery- take it slow and steady. Isn't it wonderful to walk without that awful arthritis pain? I thank God every day for that blessing. Even after 5 months it still amazes me!

9. mlsread

mlsread Member

Awesome @tweetybird. I've been MIA working on a project that I was hyperfocused on. Maybe at 3 months out I should consider the same kind of PT that you're getting. I don't know if my tightness is due to needing a little more movement or I did too much the day before. I finally sleep thru the night and can get comfortable despite the fact that I cannot roll over onto my right side. Fundamentally all is well. Good to hear you!!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

10. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

Boy how time fly's.... I have been checking in here but not posting for a little bit now. Just trying to heal and not do too much. That is such a hard line to "walk". :)
    My mom has gone home now, she was such a huge help and I was lucky that she could stay as long as she did. She was my walking partner, so now I am making my husband go with me in the evening and he walks the dogs.
    I hope everyone else is doing well and as I have no more company in my house I hope to be more of a contributor on here instead of a lurker.

Overall I have been doing pretty good. Small aches and pains on moving sometimes. A few weeks ago my knee started bothering me again. When I had my 6 week post op with my surgeon he examined it and said he thought it was from the muscles being so tight and it would take time. He reminded me that I had a lot of healing going on and it would be another 3 to 4 months before things were "normal". I have a 6 month app with him in August and he said if it was still bothering me then we would take xrays. Everything else looked great!

I have been doing PT two times a week for 4 weeks now and the first 3 weeks were fine. Then the regular PT person came back from her honeymoon and I no longer have the first person. She was just subbing I guess. I was not told that she was only filling in. Last week when I went to PT the second person had me do some new stuff and in the night I was hurting and it kept me from sleeping. I went back and told her I didn't want to do one of the exercises (Standing and lifting your leg out in front, to the side and back with a resistance band). I had done it with out the band fine. We didn't do it in PT that day but when I went to leave she told me she really wanted me to try to do it over the weekend. I did not.:groan:
    Then last night I was looking at another thread and one of the mods had linked a Bonesmarts philosophy for PT. I had read it before but right after surgery. I reread it and there is a part in it about not using resistance bands. Also she had me do bridges and clam shells last week.:bignono:

So I am sitting here thinking I am going to stop all PT. My gait is fine. My pelvis is tilted a bit but is already getting better and as I know from here, that it all takes time. I am up to walking between 5000 and 6500 steps a day. I also have a stationary bike that I have been riding but only for 5 mins at a time per the first PT lady. I think I could up that time now. LOL

• Like Like x 2
  11. Krista

Krista Graduate

I like what I am hearing @Tweetybrd! I agree that you don't need that physical therapist who is trying to push you beyond what feels right for you. And you've got a nice activity level going on. It is true that muscles in our legs can get very tight, both before and after THR when we are overcompensating and healing. Sounds like you're doing pretty darn well! May this continue through full healing. :SUNsmile:

12. Medfordart

Medfordart Senior

Tweetybird, it sounds like you are doing great. I personally love PT. I worked hard before my 2nd one doing bands, bridges and clam shells...helped a lot. Good luck...but it sounds like you are right on track. It does get better everyday!

13. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

Thanks @Krista !! I hope you are doing well after all you had to go through. :)

@Medfordart Good to hear a positive story about PT. Thanks!!

I did cancel my PT for this week but didn't say I was "quitting" in case I wanted to go next week after taking a week off. I have continued to walk all week and a few days I did my stretches but none of the PT exercises.

I have felt pretty well except a few nights have been rough. But that has nothing to do with PT. I have still been taking one 5 mg of Oxy at night. I have been trying to stop taking it this week and it is really not fun. Not because I'm hurting, I feel like I don't need it for pain but boy does it make me sleep better. So far I have not taken it on Sun Tues and Wed night. Monday night at 2 am I broke down and took it. I was not hurting but my legs were doing this weird muscle spasms/ tingling thing. I am not sure if it was something I did to much of during the day or because of not taking the Oxy. I am hoping I can just not take anymore.

I had to remind myself a few times this week to slow down. It seems like since my mom left I have been doing more stuff around the house and my step count gets up pretty high before I realize it. :oyvey:I went for a walk last night with my husband and didn't look at my counter. When we got back I had done 9100 steps for the day. Probably a bit much. LOL

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Krista

Krista Graduate

Good gravy, that IS a lot of steps, tweety! And thumbs down on that muscle spasmy thing waking you up the other night. You don't need that! Rest and let your body recover. If you need the meds for awhile longer, that's ok.

• Friendly Friendly x 1