Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Turtle's Revision scheduled for July 19, 2016

Hi Carol,

After a fairly busy weekend, I am just hanging out today, laundry, took a catnap, etc. Pain is not as bad as Friday and yesterday. It was really bad yesterday as I found myself hurrying through Costco wondering why everyone was so slow. That lack of patience will get me every time. Spain in the dead of winter sounds lovely. Have you tried looking on a site called VRBO? It's Vacation Renters by owner and I think they're worldwide and I know of several people here who have used the site with successl A lot of people from here use it to get out of the heat of summer.

Hope you're having a good day. Like you, I can't use the recumbent bike as it really seems to cause pain.

Have agood day. Hugs, Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, I just found out that Toothfairy is in hospital today having her second TKR. Her first one was a hugh success so hopefully the second one will be too.

Its odd but knowing TF was going through it again has stirred up all sorts of horrible stuff for me. It brought it home to me that it will be me in the not too distant future. I am still struggling so much with the first op. I thought the tears stage had past for me, but No. I am frightened of the known. Carol
 
Dear Sweet Carol, I can only imagine how you must feel, knowing that you have to go through all this again. And, oh yes, I still shed tears now and again wondering if this will ever be over with this one knee and if I'll get my life back again, but then I have to remember that I hadn't had much of a life for quite a while before I had the TKR because I never knew when it would give out on me which i did quite frequently. Did your OS talk to you about any options for extending the time for your other knee? I know a couple of steroid shots got me through almost a year and half with great trips walking alot in Boston and Washingon, D.C. during that time. Just a thought.

As for the tears, they still happen to me now an again, but usually with the pain. The flare-up I was talking about the other night was just plain old sharp pain. Fortunately it's gone.

They do say a lot on Forum that no recovery is alike even with the same person, and I do hope Toothfairy's 2nd recovery does go as well as her 1st. I know she must have been pretty surprised when they slammed her with this early date. Maybe that's better when you don't have time to think about it.

We just got home from checking out the new place, walking in the indoor pool and hot tub and lunch. Pretty pathetic when it's too hot to hang out in the outdoor pool until the sun goes down.

Just know that I'm thinking about you and hope you'll be dancing again soon. Sending big hugs your way, xxxDorothy
 
I know a couple of steroid shots got me through almost a year and half with

Dorothy, no this option has never been suggested to me. Thanks for mentioning it. You don't know, what you don't know. Up until 6 months ago I knew absolutely nothing about arthritic knees. I know a bit more now of course. But even so. Its almost like a sick game. If you don't ask the right questions, you don't get the right answers. I've always felt that I have been left in charge of my knee and that I'm not up to the job. I'm sure I'm not alone. How many messages do you see where people are trying desperately to get information. But the vast majority of us don't have a medical background and can only tell you how it was for them. That's not to say that that's not helpful, but seeing the OS now and again would help to confirm that everything actually is alright.

This is stupid I know, but I wish I knew just what percentage of people were the same as me at 6months. It would make me feel a whole lot better if it showed I was the norm. Do you think this? Its not because its a competition, it would just put my mind at rest.

I know you have had a tough couple of days, and here I am wittering on about myself. Sorry.
 
Hi Carol, I woke up feeling really sorry for myself, I don't know why other than I just don't know if it should be like this after six months. I'm still taking Norco, not much - 2 a day at most and when I read all the newbies here doing so much and feeling so great, I think I must be an addict. Anyhow, it's a shame you don't have more support from your healthcare providers. BoneSmart is great and for obvious reasons very popular in the U.K. It's not always easy to get the attention you need here. We're on a Medicare Advantage plan with a great clinic, and I can get an appointment any time I feel I need one. I just called and made an appointment for Tuesday, might as well do the x-rays now and hopefully get a prescription for water therapy. Did some walking and stretches in pool yesterday and probably could have done more but I am just so afraid of making it worse. And I too wonder what is the norm for six months. We are fortunate we don't have to go to work but many people may be off bearing it because they have to.

I'm going to ask my O.S that question on Tuesday, but know I will probably get the usual answer - it does take a full year to recover. I'll let you know his answer on that one.

As far as getting a shot in your non-operated knee do you have a clinic you can go to? Is that knee bothering you a lot more since you had the LTKR? My husband's dr. just gave him a prescription for Volteren cream which is for topical use on arthritic area of pain, including the knee. I can't use it because I have asthma and it has NSAID in it.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards. It's so hot here. It was still 100F at 7 p.m. last evening. And then I watched NBC news and Brian Williams, who just had TKR 3 weeks ago was on and announced he will be back to work on Tuesday. He was going on and on about how he had done so well because of the physical therapists, and how he had done everything they told him and worked so hard. I wish him well- he's my favorite newscaster. He was still using a cane and limping a lot. He said he's heard from everyone in the country who has had a knee replacement.

Sorry about my rambling on his morning. Wish you were nearby so we could just be chatting over a cuppa tea.
My friend Julie is in the U.K. right now taking care of her 90 year old mum who has one leg amputated and her dad who has some dementia going on. She is an only child so I really feel for what she's going through. Looking forward to her getting back as she is my go to friend here where we can be ourselves no matter what's going on.

This is Labor Day weekend in the U.S. where we honor the working people. Nothing special - just catch up with the girls (Janel and Deb), going out to dinner and celebrating Jim's birthday, which is Monday.

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
woke up feeling really sorry for myself, I don't know why other than I just don't know if it should be like this after six months

Its doesn't seem right. Most of us are in the same boat. Its lack of information every time that causes the downs. Still it isn't going to change in time to help us, so best just to get on with it - no option. Do try and pin the OS down when you see him on Friday. They are better than politicians in ducking/side stepping the question. It isn't until you come away that you realise they didn't tell you what you wanted to know.

I suspect he will say its irrelevant as to where you sit in the recovery stakes. You've got what you've got and time will do the rest. But they surely must have some facts, figures, statistics available to them.

where we honor the working people.

this made me laugh. It reminded me of a comment from Downton Abbey (new series starting soon. I think you get it in America). The old dowager said `week end, what's a week end?'.

Hope Jim has a lovely birthday. xx Bugs C
 
Hello! I'm between my 13th and 14th week after a TKR. I have been struggling for awhile thinking I'm way outside the "normal bell curve" on the recovery scale. I wonder what is really considered "normal" and what isn't. I know what is....IS but it just helps so much to know we are not alone. During my knee recovery my hip on the opposite side "went out" and I kept saying to the OS I think my recovery is being hampered by my hip. He said yes hip pain sometimes does happen due to the gait being "off" for so long. He didn't have anything else to say. Then I went to my internist for a regular check up and he ordered xrays and now I'm a candidate for a total hip replacement. That has really taken me for a "pity" ride and I'm not over it yet! At any rate what I really want to say is....doing stairs is very hard, need to hold on for dear life, bend is 104-107, the stiffness is quite intense still in spite of regular use of the recumbent bike and recently adding water stretches and walking. Swelling still occurs though not very often anymore. Am I in the ballpark with the rest of you? My closest friend breezed thru her recovery and I feel like I did something wrong and she did everything right. :( Comments? Thanks Josie
 
Hi Josie @josi I can well imagine what it must have been like knowing you have to have a hip replacement after TKR. I am facing the knowledge that I have to have a RTKR. Its tough.

But now for the GOOD news. 14 weeks out is absolutely no time at all for knee replacements. From what you have said I would say you are a bit ahead of the norm. Its hard I know when you think you are in the slow lane. But I don't think you are. OK there are others who have made miracle recoveries, but you sound as if you are doing fine. You didn't mention that dreaded tight band feeling that is so common. No infection. No need for MUA. No serious swelling. Not too bad a ROM. Pretty Good. As for the stiffness, you cannot get away from that - only time. Hope this helps. The all consuming need for us to know that we are `normal' doesn't seem to figure in OSs thinking. Yet if your head is not stressed then your knee will do so much better - why don't they get it.

I am sorry I don't have the medical background to give my comments weight. So in that sense what I have said is unsupported. But reading so much stuff on BS over the last few months does give you a bit of feel for what sounds on track. And yours does. Carol
 
@jossie,patient 99,Mutley

A collective good morning to you all. Josie, I think we all know how you feel but I really think those who do so great are the exception rather than the norm. I know I was one of those at the beginning but between agressive physical therapy and muscle strain in abductor and groin it has set me back.

Jaki I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's husband and so happy to hear that you don't have breast cancer. You've had so much going on that I'm hesitant to ask about your move but do hope it's going well and that you can soon move to your seasdie home.

I know I have spent a lot of time feeling sorry for myself but I was just talking to my husband and he agreed that in spite of the pain and swelling I can do much more than I could before the TKR.

Carol, happy Sunday and take care all of my good friends.

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy,

I know I have spent a lot of time feeling sorry for myself

I don't think you've done that. But even if you had I would say you have had good reason. At least all the pain has been worth it if you can do more now than before the TKR. How's it going at your daughter's. Are you still enjoying it. How about the stairs - any easier? Being Sunday, I bet you have been doing your Hollywood routine ie, hanging out at the pool. Hope you've got all the kit - big sunglasses and gold mules:martini: Carol
 
Thank you Carol for being such a loving, supportive friend. I really appreciate. We're having a low key weekend. We did drive down to the house with Janel and Deb. It's coming right along, then we just came home, had lunch, etc. It's way too hot to pretend you're in Hollywood. Better to set in the air conditioning, look at the nice green park, and pretend you're in Canada. That's one thing nice about Houston, lots of trees and greenery. It's going great here. One of their sweet cats has become my new best friend, so I'm really enjoying that.

We tried another new trendy restaurant last night. The food was great, but it was good it was still Houston Resturant Weeks - otherwise it would have broken the bank. I did manage to step down a stair leaving the restaurant the wrong way, and my knee popped out it's big bruise and pain, which it does when I move the wrong way. Maybe I'll just have it tattooed over and pretend t's not there. Josephine, I'm going to try and post a picture of it and would like your opinion as to what is causing this to happen. It's always the same pattern and sometimes it's deep purple.

As far as the kit, I do have the big sunglasses, but no gold mules, just sensible shoes for me. Dorothy
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Turtle's Revision scheduled for July 19, 2016
    image.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 227
What's the dark spot in the middle? Was it a drain site? And as your doctor seen this? If not he ought to. I have no idea what it could be.
 
I have no idea what the dark spot is and as far as I know I had no drain. It may be where he put a nerve block in. I see the OS on Tuesday and will let you know what he has to say. My daughter-in-law, who is a pathology doctor says it has a distinct pattern and looks to her like there's something leaking i.e. something wrong with the TKR. So we shall see.

Thank you for your response.

Dorothy
 
Josephine Saw OS yesterday, have some loosening around posterior ligament. May need revision but right now treating conservatively with exercise and rest, and start aqua therapy tomorrow. Hope it works. He also did blood work for c_reactive protein and sed rate, and asked about metal allergy. I don't think I do since I have a cervical fusion from 2-7 and lumbar 2-5, plus a pacemaker.

Thanks for your help.
 
That's posterior cruciate ligament.
 
So is he saying you have loosening of a your tibial prosthesis, or there's a problem with the PCL?
I know my PCL was frayed and so was removed.
Sounds like you're getting a good workup. At least he's not telling you it's all in your head, which happens to some people on this forum!
 
He indicated the problem was with my PCL, so he has me doing quad sets and leg extensions which seem to be helping already. I kept trying to going downstairs normally so was constantly aggravating the PCL. H e examined me thoroughly, x-rayed and said the prothesis looked fine, just the slight loosening around the PCL. I start water therapy tomorrow, so hopefully all this will help me rehab without another surgery.
 
Just got back from evaluation appointment for water therapy which I begin next week. It was a very thorough examination and they confirmed the instability of the PCL. My ROM was 123 on my operated knee with no assistance and 141 on other one. Aldo exxtension was -11 which is much worse than I expected, but I guess that probably has to do with the PCL injury. He ordered PT for both knees this time which is good because I'm actually stronger in some aspects on the operated side. I guess those exercises do work. In addition to the water therapy, I will be doing clam shells, quad sets, and another strengthening one for my buttocks and hips, where I am week on both sides. Will evaluate in one month and hopefully will be much better by then.

Thank you all for all your encouragement, and I hope you all are listening to your bodies and seeking help wherever you can.

Have a great day.

Dorothy
 
Glad you're moving forward constructively. Will your hyperextension go away? In any case, I wanted to relate that I have laxity in another direction (side to side), and rather than having a revision, I got hold of a hinged brace and love it. I figure it's giving me stability where I need it, and preserving what's left of my ligament integrity.
 
Back
Top Bottom