Revision TKR Turtle's Revision scheduled for July 19, 2016

I didn't ask if the hyperextension would go away. I know we'll be working on it, and I hope it goes away with the pt/water therapy. And I'm with you if I only get close on lessening the instability, I would be happy to go with a brace rather another surgery. We shall see.

Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated, and I know you have been through a lot

Dorothy.
 
Started hydro therapy for my PCL this morning. I made it very clear up front that I was not going to do anything to the point of pain. Forgot myself at first, then slowed down. I sure hope it works because I don't want to have to have another knee surgery. I have been feeling stronger but do have to watch how I move the knee. I will do this therapy for a month and then they will evaluate. The swelling seems to be not as bad, and I've been wearing a compression sleeve which seems to help when I am standing or walking.

Mary, you asked if my hyperextension would go away. I forgot to ask that question when they did the initial evaluation but will ask when I go next week. When they checked my ROM, it was at 123 with no pushing. I am happy with that but did ask if that would improve (it was 141 on my non-operated knee), and they said no, blah de blah, you have to get that in the first four to six weeks, and I just smiled and said to myself, we'll see. I've tried to research this PCL thing, and rom what I gather it just takes a lot longer than an ACL to heal and it usually heals with no surgery.. I hope so, but at least I feel fairly functional so will be grateful for whatever I end up with .

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, strange things are happening with BS website. Josephine says its in the process of an upgrade, so its a bit jerky as to what's getting through. To be on the safe side I've come house calling. Quite a nice atmosphere in here.
So like the turtle wallpaper.

I am trying to find out exactly how other people's knees feel. You say you feel fairly functional. When you walk can you feel all the hardware inside your knee and lots of tight bits pulling here and there?
 
I got hold of a hinged brace and love it. I figure it's giving me stability where I need it, and preserving what's left of my ligament integrity.

Mary, Can you explain. Is a hinged brace something you wear around your knee like a calliper Carol
 
Hi Dorothy turtle68
Sorry you are feeling blue today.
I hope you will soon feel brighter,
Sending you a big hug and a bunch of your favourite flowers,
Toothfairy x :) :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you TF. I don't know what I'd do without my loving, bs friends. Having a nice cozy day. We're having a nice rainy day and I've got a sweet white cat cuddled next to me.

Thanks for the hugs and flowers and hugs back at you.

Dorothy
 
I've been reading your thread Dorothy, we seem to chat on Carol's thread a lot, don't we all. You have been having a rough recovery, and all the other problems too :sad:
I hope the hydrotherapy helps.
By the way I took a look on line at where you're moving to, wow it looks fantastic, like a holiday all year round! There's nothing like that in the UK, sadly.
Dabs :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you Sue. We just returned from checking on our house, stopped for lunch, and now home resting. I've been active since 7 a.m. this a.m., so I don't feel at all guilty resting. We're really looking forward to our move to our new community. In fact the therapy pool is so nice there, I'm not going back to the PT place. It was not therapy as far as I'm concerned. Four of us in the pool, all doing the same things in rotation, all stuff I can do on my own in a much nicer place.

Glad to hear you're feeling better. We had some nice rain yesterday, and I think it cleared my head as well as the air.

Dorothy
 
Well, it's 8 months post TKR today so time to post on my own thread again. @Patient Dabber Mutley Toothfairy and all my other Bonesmart friends. Sorry I haven't posted more but as I've been getting much better, I find myself more involved with doing everyday things and even managed to overdo it by the end of this week. A few weeks ago, I went to the Dr. and he said my posterior Cruceate ligament was loose, and that I may need a revision but we would give it six months. He also had C-reactive protein blood test run, and my CRP was very high (10.4), so he put me on a 10-day course of prednisone which has helped tremendously. He will retest it in a month. I know I have inflammation throughout my body as I have asthma, eczema. I also had pneumonia twice at the end of last year and was hospitalized on heavy duty antiobotics, and I've been reading on Forum that these can cause muscle weakness. My bad for not doing more research before TKR.

Yesterday, I noticed some muscle stiffness and soreness behind my knee and in my quad, after doing the leg extensions the day before, so I guess I still have to be cautious, keeping in mind that I still have a quarter of the way to go. But, all in all, life is getting much better, I seem to be getting more endurance, and I'm finally starting to enjoy life. Our new home should be ready in a month and I am so looking forward to having access to the indoor therapy pool, water therapy classes, and just getting settled in our new home.

Life is going on, enjoying as much as I can, one day at a time, and I wish you all a great Sunday.

I want to offer much encouragement to those, like me, who have had a long, slow, recovery - it will keep getting better, even with the
glitches along the way, and I have had many.

Hugs, Dorothy
 
Aaahhh Dorothy :)
That's a lovely post to update us Bonesmart followers! I do know what you mean about finding less time to post though. Life goes on & you have to go with it but it's nice to think that for some people, they are recovering well & perhaps don't need as much help & guidance on here, which can only be a positive step forward! I have been in my new house by the sea for just over 3 weeks now. Pretty much finished all the un-packing so now it's back to tackling the day to day jobs like polishing & hovering :sad: I love it down here. Everyone is friendly & I feel mentally calmer if that makes sense? My only sadness is that unfortunately I can't enjoy my walks with the dogs on the beach like I should be able to, due to this leg still not behaving. However, at least I can & do get out & sharing magical moments with my dogs & the sea birds probably keeps me going! I really hope your impending move goes well & you enjoy your new home...and pools...and nice neighbours!
Wishing you all the very best..... :flwrysmile:
 
Wow turtle68 you sure do keep quiet. You have been helping me along without saying a word about your own TKR. When I don't hear I assume that you are doing fine. I had wondered if you got into your new house yet (Dorothy and used to live just about 3 miles apart from each other but now I'd say about 30 miles).

So how far are you into this 6 months to determine if you'd need a revision? Gosh I hate to hear that because you had been doing so well. If you indeed needed a revision would your same doctor do the surgery or would he send your to a revisionist?

You better check in more often and let us know how you are coming along...:flwrysmile:
 
Bonnie, I'm about 6 weeks into the six months, but since this C-reactive protein was high, I'm supposed to have the test redone and see him in December. It wasn't really clear to me what he would be doing for revision, Jim picked up something about an arthroscopic procedure, so I presume it would be PCL reconstruction. I've been doing so well with just this little flare right now, so I'm really hopefully that no surgery will be required. I'm not sure if he would be doing the surgery or would refer me out. We're with Kelsey Seybold, but they're really good about referring you out to associated providers if necessary.

I was thrilled for you to read about Dr. Incavo yesterday. Besides being skillful, he sounds like a really empathetic man. I mean how many drs. would care about a 91 year old woman being able to walk again. We should be in our new house about November 15th. Looking forward to it. We've already been to a few of the social things and have met some really great neighbors. It's Del Webb Sweetgrass if you want to look it up on the internet. It really is a beautiful place.

Good to hear from you, take care, and keep me posted.

Hugs, Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, its odd when you think about it. You sum up 8 months of tears, worry, pain, depression in a few paragraphs. Nobody can understand what you have been through. We fellow BSs get close to it, but we are cyber chums. We aren't able to give you a real hug or laugh face to face. We can't have a drink together or any of the things that happen in the real world. So as things improve its natural that BS will increasingly take a back seat.

I just wish Dorothy that your 8 month post was telling us all how you `HAD GOT THERE'. But that says more about me than you. There is still a whole 4 months left before you reach that magical 12 months. Over the weeks and months I can tell by your messages that you are improving. Next year in your new house will be good I just know it.

You sound is excellent spirits. I am so pleased for you. Onwards and upwards. BIG BUGS Carol
 
Mutley Hi Jaki, good to get an update on where you are at. So pleased all the stress of moving house paid off in the end. I have a mental picture of you in the early morning walking on an empty beach with your dogs. So your knee is still giving you trouble. I just hope its not as bad as it was.

Don't know why, but this message has a ring of good bye to it. I know you log on now and then, but post very little these days. I suppose its as we have all said, there comes a time to move on. Hopefully we will get the odd message now and then. May be one day we will get a message to say the knee is 100% and that Mutley GOT THERE IN THE END. I do hope so. Take care and thanks for all your support in the early days. xx Carol
 
I can't seem to post very well. But I guess some people will stay for updates, some will go and reappear when knee 2 needs doing and some may be ships that pass in the night. Oh dear, sad mood bear here. :sad: :cry: :boohoo:
 
Hey guys! I HAVEN'T FORGOTTON about the new year meet up in COVENT GARDEN!!!! I keep popping in & out as & when but very conscious that I DON'T want to be Mrs. gloom at near on 11 months post op :sad: The knee is fine, the problem is all in the shin bone & lower thigh plus the trapped nerve in the back of the other leg which I still maintain happened due to the spinal when I had the TKR :sad:
My youngest daughter is having her 1st of 2 operations on her knee's in less than 2 weeks time. Meniscus tears in both knee's but she also has hypermobility...duff genes from her mother :sad:
Will try & keep up with all your posts but remember, I'm thinking of you guy's all the time..... :flwrysmile:
 
Turtle,

I too am not on this forum as much lately. Best wishes, keep positive, and enjoy what is enjoyable.
 
trailspud Thanks for your good wishes. I know you had a slower recovery because of the levaquin, but hopefully that is behind us.

Dorothy
 
Back
Top Bottom