BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] TrueNorth’s new knee!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by TrueNorth, Jun 19, 2019.

1. TrueNorth

TrueNorth junior member

Canada Canada
    @KarriB , thanks yes I obviously need to do something different so will see what I can get set up.

@Denny39 , the right one is pretty solid. The left one has suffered several serious injuries over the years starting with a torn ACL from downhill skiing, meniscus damage and a couple of arthroscopic surgeries, ending with a tib-fib plateau fracture with a plate and screws knitting things together. Once I get the left knee rehabbed, I’ll be good to go for (hopefully!) many years.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    • Set the bike to zero resistance
    • Set the saddle as high as possible and rock the pedals back and forth as far as you can with discomfort but no pain
    • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
    • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
    Then, when you can make a revolution:
    • Set the bike to zero resistance
    • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
    • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
    • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
    • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
    • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
    • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
    Here is a bit more chat and some pix and how 'healing' and 'training' are different

3. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    you will. I currently ride the Velodrome several times a week training for the Masters championships in September. Current form indicates last place:sad: in my event (2k pursuit) but I can ride, which I couldn't before surgery.

4. Denny39

Denny39 senior

United States United States
    I have resumed working in my home office, which is what has me drowning in paperwork right now. I also have to be very careful about sitting too long. I’m walking pretty good on level ground now, but I don’t have a lot of stamina. Actually, I just had to buy a new cane yesterday because I apparently walked away and left mine somewhere, again :hairpulling:.
    It seems that when things are feeling pretty good in these early days, we unwisely get overambitious without stopping to remind ourselves of what is really still going on behind the scenes at our current stage of recovery. Perceiving my tendency toward impatience, my surgeon reminded me that the multiple layers of stitched together tendons and tissue under the staples (or zips this time) take 6 months to dissolve. And it is pretty well agreed that this is a 52 week healing and recovery marathon. We are not quite 9 weeks out yet. My wife reminds me of that very time I grumble. Your ROM will improve, and I will start sleeping again. There will be a brighter day tomorrow! Well, at this stage maybe day after tomorrow . . . But it will come :flwrysmile:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh, yes. Sitting with your leg down for an extended period is probably one of the culprits. Glad the rest, :ice: elevate day helped.
    I know you have to work but since it's from home could you work for an hour, elevate for a 1/2 hour, work for an hour---that sort of thing? I also found getting up every hour and walking for 2-3 minutes helpful for the stiffness.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TrueNorth

TrueNorth junior member

Canada Canada
    Haven't posted in a couple of weeks as I had a couple of setbacks that left me in a funk. Knee was oddly sore for a week or so and I was back to using a cane and a week ago, I hurt something in my foot on the same leg that left me as mobile as week 1 after surgery for a few days! Not fun!

I was at the local mall for an errand and concetrating on walking heel to toe through the mall. I was wearing good shoes with custom orthoitics, but they do need updating as the left one is pre-TKR. It's been 10 years since I could walk 'normally' i.e. before the leg issues caused me to walk very slowly and with a slight limp. Woke up the next morning with the toe (or two) beside the big toe swollen and so sore, I was walking on my heel--basically anything to avoid pressure or flexing the muscles around it. WOW! Couldn't weight bear for a few days. Was icing and elevating my foot and popping meds. It's recovered now to just a little discomfort when walking on it, but can the forum advisors offer any insights into what this might possibly be?

Other than that, it was back to work. Surprised how tired I was after a day in the office, even though I was just sitting and getting up and moving as I needed. I can't even imagine how others have managed when they've needed to go back within just a couple/few weeks. My hat is off to them!

Evidently, a few degrees of flexion have opened up as I can go down stairs without a 'pull' at the end of step, although it feels like more strengthening will be needed.

7. newlybionic

newlybionic FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Your orthotics probably need to be updated now that you have your new knee. There are a couple of things I will share. If you haven't been fitted for new shoes it's time to check into that. I went to a store that caters to runners. They examined my gait, watched how my foot hits the ground, measured my feet, looked at the wear on my old sneakers and then brought out some sneakers to try. They made sure I was walking correctly. They even let you bring them back within 30 days to-exchange them! This helped me a lot since my leg wasn't straight before my surgery but it was afterwards.

• Like Like x 1