Guest viewing is limited

TKR TRKR 10/13/23 - Moving Forward with Many Detours

When you want to reply, rather than quoting the whole message, just go down to the reply box and type your reply. No need to quote if you are replying to the post directly above your reply. You can also mention the member you want to address by using the @ sign in front of their username (no space) and type your reply. Not quoting whole messages saves a lot of space on the page, and also saves duplicate reading.

If you want to quote just a line in a post, highlight that line.

At the bottom of the post you will see:

Like/ +Quote/ Quote this message.

Click the +Quote

When you get to the reply box, you will see where it says “insert quotes” Click that and it will put your highlighted area into your reply.

Happy Posting! :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you @Jockette I'd forgotten to highlight specific copy. Another surprise this morning was I did a leg slide without thinking. Then I grabbed both knees and hugged them - no pain. With cloudy skies and cold weather here in NY, and gluten in my system (yesterday I caved and had two small devil's food cake rolls with cream filling), the one difference between yesterday and today is I left the heat on overnight. Trying not to obsess over this. :yahoo:
 
I am also thinking peanut butter sounds good, Wish I had some bananas but I’m out at the moment.

Everyone I know had peanut butter and jelly as a child. I didn’t and still don’t really care for that. But my Mom always made me either peanut butter and banana or peanut butter and honey. Still love both. Just a thin layer of honey. And my Mom would mash up the banana into the peanut butter but I just slice it for the sandwich. Tastes just as good to me and less work/less dishes.
 
If it's the Peanut Butter you're craving duboloosh, without the gluten, have you tried any Peanut Butter Protein Bites? Easy Peasy and many GF recipes online such as one using Peanut Butter, GF Oats, Honey, Vanilla Protein Powder, or just plain Vanilla, GF Chocolate Chips, Sea Salt (optional) Roll into small spheres and chill. Voila! Yummy too!
@dubloosh
 
Mom told me her dad (my papa) also loved peanut butter and banana sandwiches @MSuki. Good idea to mash the banana into the peanut butter as otherwise it falls off the bread. I'll try that. Our favorite (brother and I) as kids was peanut butter and jelly.

Thank you @Layla for the suggestions. They'd be good to snack on at night instead of yogurt or fruit. Sometimes I eat peanut butter and chocolate flavor MOO bars yet the pb taste is faint. I'm really craving the whole wheat bread. To keep pain and swelling to a minimum I'm trying to have either Advil or Tylenol on a 3-hour schedule yet it doesn't seem to coincide with meals. I had cut down on both until the PT incident and prefer to quell the pain with Tylenol as swelling can be remedied by elevating my leg. The pharmacist tells me to stagger them yet how to manage meals?
 
Don’t worry about eating “meals” on a schedule. If it works better, you can have smaller portions of different foods more times throughout the day and evening.

If you’re taking Advil and Tylenol in larger quantities, just be sure you stay within the daily maximums for each in any 24-hour period….4,000mg Tylenol (acetaminophen), 1500mg Aleve (naproxen), and 3200mg Advil or Motrin (ibuprofen)….although with ibuprofen, it’s best to try and take around 1200mg per 24 hours as it can be really hard on your stomach. And take each with something to eat (crackers are fine) and a full 8 ounces of water.
 
To eat less bread I sometimes put my peanutbutter on slices of apple.

I also make "grown up pbj" sandwiches by adding kim chi to a regular pbj. Peanut butter or peanuts are part of lots of savory dishes in Asian or African cuisine!
 
although with ibuprofen, it’s best to try and take around 1200mg per 24 hours as it can be really hard on your stomach. And take each with something to eat (crackers are fine) and a full 8 ounces of water.
I can move foods around to eat protein at each "meal" every few hours. That's a good idea. Re ibuprofen, I have 600 mg (prescription) that I take at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tylenol (1000 mg) is for between meals and at night. A few times I've taken 800 mg ibuprofen, though I'd rather elevate my leg than take a larger amount of this.
 
To eat less bread I sometimes put my peanutbutter on slices of apple.

I also make "grown up pbj" sandwiches by adding kim chi to a regular pbj. Peanut butter or peanuts are part of lots of savory dishes in Asian or African cuisine!
Pb on apple sounds delicious. Mixing Kim chi with peanut butter is the solution for trying to make 2 or 3 Tb peanut butter stretch as dressing for a large salad. I'll try that next time. Thank you.
 
Oh we had pb and apple sandwiches as well. I still make those sometimes (on bread).
I'll try that today. Maybe dice the apple into the pb so it doesn't fall out of the sandwich (I'm good at doing that).
 
Steps are not in the cards for me today. Leg slides were easy; a snowstorm is expected so my knee refuses to allow me to climb stairs. Next Monday I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion on my knee. I can't believe I'm still feeling the effects of 20 aggressive minutes in PT more then one month ago. I feel very disappointed and am wondering if I should ask my surgeon for a CT scan. Does everyone feel things moving in their prosthetic knee when they bend it?
 
Last edited:
If any part of your implant is loose, it would show in an x-ray, so you probably don’t need a CT scan. But, by all means, talk with your doctor about his opinion. You may be feeling some of the soft tissue that is remodeling to adjust to your new knee. Be sure and describe anything that is new as of that aggressive therapy session, as there may be a significance to that event.
 
Thank you @Jamie. I appreciate you explaining this as my surgeon doesn't, even when I ask specific questions. The aggressive PT was the day after my xray. Would it show up on an MRI? The report said everything was in place and properly aligned. I explained to my surgeon via email and two phone conversations, and all he said is healing can take up to one year. My op knee has a ligament (or tendon) gliding across the right side yet my real knee doesn't. I pointed out the 'pop' sound at PT; he said it (and whatever is gliding across the knee) might be scar tissue breaking up. Does that eventually dissolve? I emailed my surgeon earlier, and all he wrote back was that the MRI showed patellar tendonitis. Hopeful I learn more at next week's appointment with another surgeon. Should I give him the MRI and the report or only the MRI so he can decide? Meantime, I made an appointment with my surgeon for this Friday. Do others' surgeons not provide answers?
 
Last edited:
Good morning, and thank you again for suggestions yesterday. How is everyone today? We got snow! I :snow plough: It's fluffy and pretty, and in younger days I'd be playing in it downstairs. Bucket list addition is to play in the snow next winter. Tendon pain is gone so again I panicked at the weather alert indicator surrounding my implant. The reporter in me questions everything as many times my pushing yielded answers. May cancel surgeon Friday and wait until next week's visit.
 
It's fluffy and pretty,
Yes, it is...for a minute. :heehee: I live in the Upper Midwest and by some miracle we have no snow. Unheard of this time of year, but hey, I'll take it!
Do others' surgeons not provide answers?
Don't be afraid to press for answers to your questions, or an explanation you understand. Many find it best to write questions on paper, or store them in their phone...even bringing someone with to the appointment as an extra set of ears. It's easy to forget info, if you receive a lot, but it doesn't sound like that is applies to your current OS. Hopefully the new one takes the time to address your concerns and you feel reassured through your visit with him.

Happy Tuesday, I hope its a good one!
 
Oops posted with quote. My error.
 
Don't be afraid to press for answers to your questions, or an explanation you understand.
Good idea to write notes. He does explain things to me; however, I have a feeling since he can do knee, hip and shoulder surgery with his eyes closed and has probably heard the same questions from other patients, he knows the final result. A telehealth-phone conversation two weeks ago answered questions I had then; I have new ones now.
 
Happy Tuesday, I hope its a good one!
Thank you, and wishing you the same. A few kids in our neighborhood took their sleds to the Little League field down the street, where there's a huge hill. The quiet interrupted by snowblowers is soothing.
 
Give the new surgeon any imaging you have, but not anything from the previous surgeon. You want the new doctor to reach his own conclusions from your input and the images (and any radiology reports that go with them). If you do have tendinitis, that can be causing at least some of your problems. And if the aggressive therapy was done before an MRI, that test can show inflammation in soft tissues. If it’s present (like the tendinitis), it should be mentioned in the written report.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom