TKR TRKR 10/13/23 - Moving Forward with Many Detours

Thank you @Jamie. I'll also remember to add the person's name when responding as well.
 
Good afternoon.:wave:Finally figured out the emojis. I realize my patella doesn't care what I eat as today it's sore. Pain moved from the sides and back of my knee this morning to the front of my knee this afternoon. This is a mysterious recovery. It's also misunderstood by the man I've kept company with for years. He recently moved about two hours away; we haven't seen each other since my surgery yet we talk often. I've wanted to isolate; the open mic night was the first time I went out since having surgery. I don't have a mindset for intimacy right now and told him I don't know when I will, and that recovery can take up to one year with swelling and pain. Hie doesn't want to speak with me. We've been friends for more than 10 years so I'm surprised at his reaction. He had a bout of illness years ago and and pushed people, including me, away during that time. This recovery is difficult enough without adding misunderstandings to the mix. Please tell me if this is TMI.
 
I'm sorry he's being such a pill about your recovery needs. It's certainly not what one expects from such a longtime friend.

You're fine here - being a supportive place for sharing and venting is a big part of what these forums offer, limited by each person's own comfort level.

And yes these knees sure do have "interesting" recoveries!
 
Hi dubloosh,
I think recovery from any major surgery has the potential to put stress on a relationship. While the great majority report supportive partners, there are those who feel their relationship is being tested. It may be difficult for your significant other to view you in a vulnerable position, possibly you’re feeling a little down and out as you’re healing, which can be a deterrent also. You need to take care of yourself right now and hopefully once you’re stronger things will work out for the best. I hope the swelling and pain slowly ease and you regain strength, stamina and experience the brighter future you’ve likely dreamt of. Best Wishes!
@dubloosh
 
the at home PT telling me I'd better ask my surgeon for strong medication or I'll never get a good bend.
This is so untrue. Yes, you need strong medication for a few weeks after this surgery. But, that is not to be deadening your over-worked knee. You need to be able to walk around and do your normal daily activities. Pain meds will help with this. This is natural PT and rehabs your knee just fine. We suggest that you don't take pain meds just to do PT or aggressive exercises. You need to feel when to stop or you'll end up doing too much. That causes a setback in your recovery. Be the tortoise, not the hare!
 
I'm sorry he's being such a pill about your recovery needs. It's certainly not what one expects from such a longtime friend.

You're fine here - being a supportive place for sharing and venting is a big part of what these forums offer, limited by each person's own comfort level.
@mendogal, thank you. He was supportive through my hip replacement - a pretty straightforward recovery - and hand surgery, also straightforward. Both lasted about three months, and I was back to me. I appreciate being able to share about the emotional side. This is a good indication of how he sees me. My knee comes first.
 
Last edited:
the at home PT telling me I'd better ask my surgeon for strong medication or I'll never get a good bend.
This is so untrue. Yes, you need strong medication for a few weeks after this surgery. But, that is not to be deadening your over-worked knee. You need to be able to walk around and do your normal daily activities. Pain meds will help with this. This is natural PT and rehabs your knee just fine. We suggest that you don't take pain meds just to do PT or aggressive exercises. You need to feel when to stop or you'll end up doing too much. That causes a setback in your recovery. Be the tortoise, not the hare!
@sistersinhim, had a lesson learned some weeks ago as I did what I think was aggressive PT. After my surgeon agreed to an MRI, he said I have patellar tendonitis and to stop PT. As I learned here, my ROM was there; the two bones behind the knee are painfully preventing further bending. I hope this will lessen in time.
 
You need to take care of yourself right now and hopefully once you’re stronger things will work out for the best. I hope the swelling and pain slowly ease and you regain strength, stamina and experience the brighter future you’ve likely dreamt of. Best Wishes!
@dubloosh
@ Layla, thank you. I'm worried I hurt his feelings and emailed him when I got home. My mom was a two-time cancer survivor; that's enough to test any relationship. She and dad were married for a little more than 58 years and were terrific together. I'll consider this a project and make some goals. A positive: Saturday was the first time since surgery that I'd worn jeans as the fabric earlier irritated my scar. Yea!
 
Saturday was the first time since surgery that I'd worn jeans as the fabric earlier irritated my scar.
Yay! It always feels good to get back into your favorite pair of jeans. :)
If you get lonely, don’t forget about us. Lights never go out here! We’ll keep you company and hopefully cheer you up.
 
I've been agitated that all my surgeon tells me is it can take up to one year or longer to feel like the knee is mine. I did feel that at 11 or 12 weeks post op until PT had me do too-strenuous exercises. Then I asked my surgeon three times within one week for an MRI, and that revealed patellar tendonitis. I don't believe there is nothing else as soon afterward I felt pain on the lateral side of my kneecap. Did anyone else feel pain there? Tonight I bought antacids because my eating schedule does not coincide with when I take Advil and Tylenol. May I have some insight, please? He's an excellent surgeon yet I had to ask him numerous times for follow up. Thank you.
 
Last edited:
I felt pain on the lateral side of my kneecap.
It's very possible your doctor did a lateral release and that would be the cause of your pain. I had continual pain on the medial side of my knee. When I received my surgical report, I read that my OS had done a medial release during my TKR. You might request your report to see what was done to your knee during your surgery.
 
I felt pain on the lateral side of my kneecap.
It's very possible your doctor did a lateral release and that would be the cause of your pain. I had continual pain on the medial side of my knee. When I received my surgical report, I read that my OS had done a medial release during my TKR. You might request your report to see what was done to your knee during your surgery.
Thank you. I just submitted a request to the hospital's medical records department. What would be the reason for doing that release? If I still had a meniscus in that knee, then I'd say it was a tear as it's the same feeling I had prior to meniscus surgery years ago.
 
What would be the reason for doing that release?
In my case my surgeon did a lateral release because my patella didn’t track correctly during the surgery. I found that surprising because I had never had a tracking problem before my surgery. And, if I had not requested my surgical report (at my one year check up) and read it, I would never have known about the release because as far as I know, he never mentioned it during my follow ups. :hairpulling:
 
What would be the reason for doing that release?
In my case my surgeon did a lateral release because my patella didn’t track correctly during the surgery. I found that surprising because I had never had a tracking problem before my surgery. And, if I had not requested my surgical report (at my one year check up) and read it, I would never have known about the release because as far as I know, he never mentioned it during my follow ups. :hairpulling:
Thank you again for sharing this. I'm surprised to hear surgeons don't reveal pertinent information to their patients. Mine told me my MRI is fine; uh, no, it's not. Glad I asked him to order one and am interested to see the surgical report. Glad he agrees with Bonesmart.org that PT isn't always a good option. :yes!:
 
What would be the reason for doing that release?
In my case, before I had my TKR, I had 2 lateral releases on each knee. Years after that, I had my kneecaps removed. I had no kneecap during my TKR, so my medial was released not because of a kneecap not tracking correctly, but because the medial tendon was causing my leg to be pulled more to the inside as it was bent. These releases can hurt was many months. Mine sure did.
 
What would be the reason for doing that release?
In my case, before I had my TKR, I had 2 lateral releases on each knee. Years after that, I had my kneecaps removed. I had no kneecap during my TKR, so my medial was released not because of a kneecap not tracking correctly, but because the medial tendon was causing my leg to be pulled more to the inside as it was bent. These releases can hurt was many months. Mine sure did.
I apologize and didn't mean to pry. My surgeon may have done a lateral release; I'll find out when I get the surgical report. My right knee was minding its own business until around Thanksgiving 2022; I remember visiting a friend in our apartment building, and while in the elevator with both feet on the floor I felt that knee shift to the left. It was the oddest feeling. Things went downhill quickly from there, and the following year (this past October) it was replaced.
 
Good morning. Today the right side of my quad muscle decided to speak up, painfully. I've rubbed Arnicare on it and am wearing compression hose. It was beginning to feel better from elevating and icing. This is a mystery. Another day without gluten may help. Adding: my surgeon called in a prescription for a muscle relaxant. I read the side effects so will not take it 3x a day, only at night. The SO thinks I'm rejecting him so I took responsibility and apologized to his voice machine as he's not answering my calls. I planned to leave him a birthday message Saturday. He shares a partking space with me so we'll have to speak at some point.
 
Last edited:
How is everyone doing today? It's sunny and crisp weather here, and the knee is feeling better. So am I. This morning I sat up in bed without thinking and hugged my knees. The op knee and the good knee were both at the same height. This was an unexpected surprise and a sign of improvement. :yahoo:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom