Guest viewing is limited

TKR TRKR 10/13/23 - Moving Forward with Many Detours

Thank you. You're right; I hadn't thought about that. Aiming not to eat gluten for the next week and see what happens. I won't be in that building for a while. It feels good to feel better and is a nice surprise.
 
Deleted second message as it posted twice. Sorry.
 
Hi there,
In regard to diet, sugar is an additional offender, which can trigger inflammation in our joints. Not sure if you're consuming one of the natural peanut butters with no sugar added normally found in the refrigerated food section of most grocery stores. Something to consider, if you haven't already...

It's wonderful to read you're feeling better and slowly getting back to life.
Happy Saturday, I hope it's a good one! :)
@dubloosh
 
It will be interesting to see how your experimenting works. Let us know how it goes!
 
Hi @Layla and @Jamie, thank you, and happy Saturday! :) The weather is clear and sunny so that may be part of the good feeling. I even vacuumed earlier and remembered not to bend and let the long handle do the work. If I may mention brands: I buy Trader Joe's creamy, unsalted peanut butter. It comes with the oil on top; once mixed, it goes into the fridge and stays well. What I do love is a small chocolate bar now and again, which may be the culprit. I lurked a bit before joining and read about others' similar experiences. It helped me and also prompted me to join.
 
Just a heads up, sourdough breads have as much gluten as other wheat breads. They merely use a ferment of yeast, water, and flour to produce the rise rather than adding active dry yeast to water and flour.
 
Thank you for this information as I was unaware. It's easier for me to eliminate it completely and have baked potatoes, peas and other starchy vegetables.
 
Later that night . . . I wanted to have some fun as I've not been out socially since surgery October 13. A local group was having an open mic at 7 p.m. so I contacted the organizer and went. My contribution was a poem written by my dad when he was in his 20s and stationed away from home during WWII. I ate dinner around 5:30 p.m. so I could take ibuprofen to help swelling. Still no pain. I was first up at the open mic, which meant I was sitting for the next 2-1/2 hours. I kept shifting my leg, putting it on the back of the chair in front of me, doing ankle pumps, and walked out and back inside. Walking to my car later was OK yet I had difficulty bending my op (right) leg to get into it as my knee felt stiff. It was also cold inside the building so I put the car heat on high. Once home I iced and elevated it for about an hour total. As I'm looking for work now I have to be careful of sitting at a desk for more than half an hour at a time.
 
Good for you!!!!
The degree of painful stiffness after prolonged sitting and difficulty bending it to get in the car after sitting... I was having the same issue at the same number of weeks post op. It gets better! But it can be quite slow a process.
 
That's encouraging, and thank you. Maybe I need to eat some yogurt or applesauce later at night to have with Advil. It feels like my knee is in a cage. Surgeons don't explain what happens next.

I regret riding a recumbent bike at PT the short time I was there. The assistant pushed a button to start it yet, and when I asked for how long and at what resistance, he said ride for 10 minutes. That was my mistake.
 
For me riding a recumbent bike is very therapeutic because it gets my leg and knee moving and warmed up. I do it every morning when I get up. But, I still pedal slowly while doing other things on my iPad, not like I would for aerobic exercise. Actually I’m on the bike now. But even with my slow pace I started with a very short time after surgery and worked up gradually.
 
Ah, slowly is the key. I rode like I did after hip replacement surgery, and it felt good. I did too much too soon, then afterward my leg became swollen and painful. He didn't mention speedy, and I hadn't thought to ask. I might look into buying a small one to use at home as my surgeon preferred that over me walking.
 
This will be a little boring with me giving a day-by-day report of not eating gluten. The knee did well all day, no pain, no Tylenol (which I take for pain), and the minute the sun began to set it came alive. Ouch! It feels like a cage around my knee on the outer knee, inner knee (facing the other one) and behind it. I succumbed and took Tylenol, remembering the at home PT telling me I'd better ask my surgeon for strong medication or I'll never get a good bend. I've been reading other peoples' journeys and how they're doing. I wonder if there's a chart indicating how much setback happens by doing an exercise too vigorously or too soon.

I've also had surgery for basal thumb arthritis on my right hand November 2020. I'm running out of parts to replace.

As I forgot how to use it, please tell me where to find threads started by those in the October Feisties 2023 Knee Recovery Club. Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Sadly, we can't predict or quantify how badly overdoing it will affect any one person. But swelling with tighness and pain IS your body's direct feedback on the matter.

My own postop knee number two has a tendency to delay complaining until dinnertime or so.

Please do ice and elevate at least an hour, and take your Tylenol. If you have these feelings every day, you might want to put it back on a schedule like before - 1000 mg every 6 to 8 hours - and increase your icing and elevation.
 
Thank you. I'll go back to the Tylenol schedule to stay ahead of it. Feeling good is not a reason to stop taking it. I was half-joking about the cause-and-effect. Going to get the ice pack now.
 
Thank you. This must be the thread I started. Glad to be part of this forum. I've learned much so far. Wishing you the same.
 
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. Yes, this is your thread, the one you started.
I thought you were looking for the names of other October members to look up their threads, my mistake.
@dubloosh
 
No mistake. You are correct. I was looking for others who had surgery in October so I could find their threads. When I click on individual names I find where they commented on others' threads. I apologize for being unclear. Still learning how to use this website.
 
@dubloosh .... here is a link to our tutorials under the HELP/INFO link in the light gray toolbar at the top of the forum pages.

BoneSmart Forum Tutorials

These short articles should help you more easily navigate the forum. There is one specifically on finding another member's threads.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom