Guest viewing is limited

TKR TRKR 10/13/23 - Moving Forward with Many Detours

Love these little moments of improvement!!!!
 
@mendogal and @Layla The SO called tonight and apologized. We talked a bit, and I feel better for it. Didn't eat gluten today and took less Tylenol. Our local Board of Elections coordinator emailed about work availability for March; election days here in NY are from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Last year I brought a pillow to sit on and found an extra chair to elevate my leg (knee), which my surgeon was alternately aspirating and injecting with cortisone. How things have changed in one year.
 
Good news! Sounds like some progress was made in receiving an apology Glad you're feeling better after your conversation. I hope you have a pleasant weekend.
@dubloosh
 
Oh, I'm so glad you two have worked things out and are back talking again.
 
Good news about your friend!
 
Good news about your friend!
Thank you. I feel much better. :) Knee is also behaving. No need for Tylenol until well into the morning although stiffness was there. As a knee newbie I'm posting daily things that maybe others are past so it may seem monotonous. Each new discovery is a surprise as I have no indication until it happens. I'm interested to know how to set a recumbent bike. Yesterday I tried one and was unable to complete a full circle (pain), yet when the seat was high my foot hardly reached the pedal. Thanks.
 
I was told by PT not to worry about going all the way around, just rock back and forth and you get the benefit of moving your knee. (this was for my recumbent bike at home.). Usually you can go around easier when the pedal is further away because your knee doesn’t have to bend as much.

I would set the pedal as far away as you can comfortably still put your foot on it, and then just rock back and forth whatever amount you can do without pain. My experience was that I gradually got to where I could do a little more until finally I could go all the way around.
 
Thank you @MSuki I'll do that next time. I have two more sessions and told them no exercises and nothing strenuous. I'm surprised my ROM measured 115 yet pedaling hurt. The seat was high, and I'm 5'1". Need longer legs. I asked about the regular stationary bike, and PT said that uses different muscles.
 
I'm the same height and the recumbent bike at my gym presented the same problem.

The issue wasn't the knee ROM, but the combination of knee AND hip flexion needed to raise the whole leg while bent - same issue as getting the R leg into the driver's seat.

The upright bike at the gym was worse! In order to be high enough to flex my knee, the seat adjustment was so high I would have had to leap up onto it! Didn't even try it.

I retried the recumbent once every couple of weeks and after a few futile visits finally could tippy toe the extension and do a few slow rotations (I had decided it wasn't worth the time, energy, and gas for the car to go there just to rock back and forth for three minutes).
 
I'm the same height and the recumbent bike at my gym presented the same problem.

The issue wasn't the knee ROM, but the combination of knee AND hip flexion needed to raise the whole leg while bent - same issue as getting the R leg into the driver's seat.

The upright bike at the gym was worse! In order to be high enough to flex my knee, the seat adjustment was so high I would have had to leap up onto it! Didn't even try it.

I retried the recumbent once every couple of weeks and after a few futile visits finally could tippy toe the extension and do a few slow rotations (I had decided it wasn't worth the time, energy, and gas for the car to go there just to rock back and forth for three minutes).
Ah @mendogal, I'm sorry you had the same issue. Six years ago next month I had left hip replacement surgery and was kicking it on the recumbent bike. No problem at all. I was also two inches taller then. Maybe an under-the-desk pedal mounted to a board that can be used while watching TV or reading is the answer?
 
Yes! A good underdesk peddler can be a nice addition; not sure of the need to attach it to anything.
 
Hope everyone's doing well. I appreciate your responses and suggestions. Forgot to ask earlier if you'd like me to add a photo. This morning is disappointing. The knee woke me up and wanted attention so I got up, ate breakfast and took pain meds. It's stiff and painful to bend so no leg slides. The difference between Thursday (crisp , clear and sunny weather) and today (overcast) is puzzling re how it affects joints. I miss having peanut butter sandwiches and was feeling better. I don't recall having this level of pain after a few painless days. Has this happened to anyone?
 
Last edited:
Definitely. I had a bad day this week, and I think it might be because I slept with no pillow between my knees. It will be a while before this knee is not susceptible to being upset by little things!
 
Yep. I woke up with my one year old knee hurting me this morning for no apparent reason. Fortunately with time and moving about the house it resolved.
I definitely have more issues in cold damp weather!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom