BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Trailspud Recovery thread

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by trailspud, Aug 31, 2012.

1. trailspud

trailspud graduate

United States United States
    Well the El Niño that's here usually results in a warmer, dryer winter for most of Idaho. Hope we get snow early and often. :)

2. Wanttobebiking

Wanttobebiking graduate

@skigirl
    @RedRider

I am so happy to find some snow enthusiasts. Someone should start a "Snow club for us" thread. I'm still too deep into recovery to manage it, and not even sure what that means.

I agree bring on the snow (but first I'm going to spend a couple of weeks on the Florida beaches). :)

3. skigirl

skigirl FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Trailspud, I understand that we are always reluctant to leave something behind---a run once a week will probably not cause any damage--but the heavier you are, the more pressure on your knees!! Why not balance it out with some biking, spinning, hiking with poles or "running" in the deep water of the pool with a buouancy belt.

I find that my interest in sports change---at age 70, I have faced the fact that I am not going to play soccer any more---but still have a pair of soccer shoes at the back of my closet---which is really too small for momentos!!

I began biking when it was obvious that I could not run and play soccer on fake knees. I have joined a club, bike twice a week with a group and really enjoy it. I have not formed a love affair with biking by myself==but Tim (Referee) does do that quite a lot. Life is about balance---one beer= a half hour of spinning in my life!!! Kelly

4. trailspud

trailspud graduate

@skigirl
    Yeh. Most of my cardio is non-impact. In the gym I spin cycle, do the elliptical, row, and lift. I also just walk or hike. I'm thinking of swapping out my 10 year old 29er for a fat bike.

But, a little running on soft surfaces in super cushioned shoes...don't think it's all that much of a risk. Still working on that weight :).

5. trailspud

trailspud graduate

A week ago I ran 5 miles for the first time since the year 2000. This afternoon I did I the same. No problems except for being slow. I feel smoother and looser the longer I go, but I think 5 miles is far enough for now (about once each week). I'm sticking to a cinder track for the soft surface and wear my 36mm thick Altra shoes.

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  6. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Great news about your being able to run 5 miles. You have taken it slow and your patience is paying off.

7. RedRider

RedRider senior

This is awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

8. trailspud

trailspud graduate

I didn't really expect to run again before my TKRs. If I were lighter, I would have started earlier. I figured that if I walked, hiked, and did other weight-bearing activities for a year or so my bones would strengthen and be better able to withstand any impact from running. I hope I am correct and the once weekly run schedule prevents any loosening. I'm not worried about implant wear. I do most of my cardio on low/no impact machines. If I have to replace the poly on either knee at some point in time that is a small price to pay.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  9. Pumpkln

• Like Like x 4
  10. trailspud

trailspud graduate

@Pumpkln

Thanks. Best wishes in your ongoing recovery.

I suspect that study will be replicated based on anecdotal evidence I have studied.

As for running, for me it's just a weekly treat. I work harder in the gym. My big goal is to do some through hiking and fast packing over long distance.

• Like Like x 4
  11. trailspud

trailspud graduate

In search of any new information about the safety and risks of running with TKRs, in my case both knees, I found the following. Dr. Stone has been out there on the edge for a long time, but I've seen his logic elsewhere. I'm still going to keep it to about once per week for now.

http://www.stoneclinic.com/blog/total-knee-replacement-athletes

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wanttobebiking

Wanttobebiking graduate

Hi Trailspud. My OS does not recommend running but he said, "If you have to run, do a triathlon and not a marathon." I have never been a runner, so I wont run, but I had my TKR so I could remain active. I want to do everything I did before surgery plus some, which entails long bike rides, long walks, Nordic skiing, snow shoeing, and curling, which includes getting down in the hack in a deep lunge position and jogging down the ice after fast stones. If I could not look forward to all of this, I would not have done the surgery.

• Like Like x 2
  13. trailspud

trailspud graduate

@Wanttobebiking

I'm sure most OSs will advise against running or impact sports (for some time to come). I was a runner for 30 years, did ultramarathons for 20 years, and organized the first ultra in Idaho among other running events. I went 15 years w/o running so it's almost like a completely different life. Earlier today was some lifting and 30 minutes on the elliptical and going for a 2nd trip soon w/middle daughter...probably row and lift, but may walk uphill on the tread, too. The running is just a little bit of what I do. I do think the advice to do weight-bearing and strength training is advisable. Where the level of impact from running becomes problematic I suspect is somewhat idiosyncratic.

I haven't really followed your recovery, but I bet you will be doing all you desire soon (5+ months out?). I'll try to check out your recovery.

14. Wanttobebiking

Wanttobebiking graduate

Hey there. I hope you are right. Working hard in PT (my second round) to eliminate the pain I feel when descending stairs normally. It might be awhile before I can get down in the curling hack, but the other stuff I am doing now. Funny you should mention the elliptical, I tried it for the first time the other day (I am four months now) and I only lasted for 2 minutes, yet I can do 20 miles on my road bike, a 2.5 mile walk, and 30 minutes of lap swimming. Go figure. Maybe more time in the gym, with a workout routine would be good for me.

15. RedRider

RedRider senior

Mine too amigo.

Just wondering @trailspud, did you change up your stride post-tkr or stick with your original gait?

The reason I ask is I've been toying around with the treadmill and found myself taking a more conservative, "gliding" stride than I used to. It's a much smoother flow, not a 6-minute mile, but it's not walking either.

16. trailspud

trailspud graduate

@RedRider

As for the weekly run, I have changed my stride. It's way shorter. I'm striking mostly midfoot although I think I hit somewhat flat-footed at times and forefoot at others. I was a heel striker in my running years...especially my 20 years of ultras. The shoes I wear are zero drop and thick (36mm cushion) so they force me off my heels. I'm also going slow at 9-10m/m. My weight...that's the downside.

As for walking/hiking, I move very smoothly. I'm mostly forefoot on the uphill and mid-foot on the downhill. I'm much more comfortable hiking and brisk walking than running. I don't walk as fast as I did 20 years ago, but my walking is a lot closer to those years than my running.

17. trailspud

trailspud graduate

Spring is in full fold in Southern Idaho. Valley temps in the 70s today and may hit 80F later this week. Work has been busy and I have added a couple nights of evening school to teach...part of a retirement income boost plan.

I took the frozen ground months off from my weekly run, but started back a month ago. I ran 5 miles this early eve...slow and on a soft cinder surface with high cushioned shoes. 74 degrees felt like summer. Need more winter weight off, but it's nice, so nice to enjoy a run outside. This weekend my oldest is running her first 50k (31+miles). I'm going with her to the race...should be lots of fun.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 4
  18. RestAssured

RestAssured Forum Advisor

@trailspud,

it is so good to see you again! Keep in touch!:wave:

19. trailspud

trailspud graduate

@RestAssured
    How are you? I have not been on this forum for awhile. I know you have gone through some more ordeals.

@Pumpkln thanks for the like. How are you, too?

Summer vacation for me in early June and I'll have more time for lots of stuff including this forum.

20. Pumpkln

trailspud,
    Great to hear how great you are doing, have fun at the race.
    My knee is still giving me fits, seeing the OS tomorrow.