Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trailspud Recovery thread

Great to hear from you @trailspud and that you are out snowshoeing. Bet you never thought you'd be doing that activity prior to your knee replacements.

I like the summer hiking but snowshoeing is tooooo cold. :) And very exhausting. Your legs and knees must be in great shape to do all of that snowshoeing.
 
@1ELISEA

Nice to hear from you. How is your progress? Was it an ankle issue holding you back?

It looks like today is a shopping day (I haven't started) plus I have a car getting repaired. It's cooler today so conditions are better, but some fresh snow will make it a lot better. I'll be checking out the reports. Maybe Tuesday?

I haven't gone snowshoeing yet this season. I have no problem staying warm in normal conditions. See my avatar. It was about 30 degrees when that pic was taken. One thing about snowshoeing (deep snow hiking) is that most of the work is done when the knee is unloaded. The main effort is an upward pull. I exchanged e-mails with the lead engineer for Conformis and he pointed this out. It is a tough workout if you push it through deeper snow and especially climbing. I really wish I could spend a month in the high country, but I'm not too many years from being able to manage that (envious of where @skigirl lives).
 
Hi @trailspud I read an publication on fluoroquinolone-induced tendinopathy this week (I'm getting my MS in Clinical Research so I read a lot of scientific literature). Are you still thinking this is suspected in your case? It was interesting to read of the correlation between achilles ruptures and this antibiotic class. I got the impression Cipro is most commonly indicated, and levaquin is a common culprit too.

Hope everything else is going well, how's the weather in Idaho? I got a map of Bob Marshall Wilderness (a bucket list backpacking trip for me) for Christmas so I've been drooling over topography lately and mapping out my next adventure.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@RedRider....if you are going to post information of a medical or scientific nature, you need to put the link to the article you're referencing in the post. Please go back and edit your post to include this link.
 
Hey @Jamie I'll see if I can dig it up. My post proposed no statements on the published data, and suggested only personal opinion.
 
@RedRider

When I saw my OS a month after my left knee blew up (summer 2013), he said almost every orthodoc has a story to tell about Levaquin (and, I suppose Cirpro and other fluoroquinolones). He said their effects were poorly understood, but appeared to have significant negative effects on connective tissues for some patients. My PT (doctorate) is young and had only been in practice about four years when I saw him. He told me he already had experiences with four or five cases of patients recovering from Achilles tendon ruptures while on Levaquin.

An old recap: At 5 weeks out from my LTKR I had very little swelling, flexion of near 120, was walking very normally, and doing moderate gym work including the elliptical up 40+ mts. A medical issue separate from my LTKR arose and I was put on Levaquin (I took it for 8-9 days). My sister, a veteran and now retired nurse, warned me of the RX at the outset. I felt miserable while on it. And, I was careful while on the Rx not to overdo (which I didn't feel like doing anyway). By the time I stopped with a couple of 24 hour doses left, I was moving like a 110 year old. Everything from my waist below including both legs was tight and painful.

The second day off of this Rx found me feeling much better and a couple days later I felt fine. I began to hit the gym again and did fine for a few days. I even increased my flexion a little. Then, and it was more than a week off the Rx, I had pain in the lateral side of my left knee about 55mts. into an elliptical session. I finished the 60 mts., but it hurt somewhat the next few days. I took four (4) days off from exercise, but it was the beginning of summer vacation and I wanted to get out and enjoy the sun and air. I did a just short of 2 hour spin on my bike on the flats. I was tight with some pain early, but it got better and I had no real discomfort (a little at times) until afterwards. Once I stopped, I realized it wasn't a good idea. I took a pain pill, iced, and napped. Within the following days, the knee got worse. More pain, tightness, and swelling. I was an idiot!

I have no way of knowing exactly what the effects of the Levaquin actually were, but I really think if I had just overdone things for a day then I would have recovered in a week or so then would be back on a normal track. Instead it took me most of the summer to get back near where I was 5+ weeks out. My flexion, despite PT and proper rest and exercise, did not return to where it was at 5 weeks (although it's better now as I noted in your thread). I think the Rx had an effect on my connective tissues that lingered, had a serious negative effect on my soft tissues leading to the blow up, and limited the healing processes of the tissues leaving me with a lot of work to do to regain extension (which I did) and a lot less flexion than I would otherwise have (based on pre-surgery and early recover, I think I would have had 135-140). The good long term news is that I can do anything I want with the knee (cycle, hike, even run a bit uphill).

This post was so long that I'll leave my Bob Marshall Wilderness story for later.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's not been a trail winter for me. A combination of work, missing good snow days, and there is this guy who I have known since he was a child...rode on the school bus I drove for 3 school years in the early '80s and was a student in my first classroom in the late 80s...I've been spending lots of time with him. He recently got out of prison after nearly a decade and I've been taking him to the gym quite a bit. I miss the trails, but the days are getting longer already and soon I'll be hiking again even if I don't get up to the snowy mountains this winter.

Today, I did my first walk outside since late October. Despite all the weight gain over the holidays, I did 6+m @5mph. I really want to do some long through hikes this coming summer so I'm going to try to make today a start. Sometimes, it's just easier to grab gym gear and go inside to exercise.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Trailspud Recovery thread
@trailspud, for giving a hand up to a fellow traveler in need of a friend. I'm sure you'll be richly rewarded for your kindness and concern.
 
Fat city here. Work has been a grind and I hosted a 100th anniversary of my mom's birth cocktail party last Friday. Then it was the final American winter holiday on Super Bowl Sunday. My weight is up way more than I would like, but the days are growing longer and in a month we are back on Daylight Savings Time. My knees feel great...just have to get more active and consume fewer calories.
 
I know what you mean. 3 months of being sedentary has made my waistline a little soft. I can't wait to get back to hiking again.
 
A ridiculously warm, sunny day in SW Idaho. I'm sitting on my front porch in mid-50s weather after a brisk 7 mile walk. It feels like mid-spring. I'm in shorts and a short sleeved black shirt...almost feels hot outside on the south side of the house. No complaints today although I hope for some cool rain in the valley and lots of snow in the mountains soon.

My knees feel great. This was my second walk outside this week and I'm off Monday and planning to do a 10-12 mile hike in the hills. The trails should be dry enough.
 
Time to break out the topo and seek out your next adventure. Although you're probably like me and have a list already that's collecting dust.

Great to hear the knees feeling good. It's been in the 80's around here lately and my knees been happy too. Don't know what I'm gonna do if winter ever comes.
 
I sure hope we get a little more winter and a wet, cool spring. As for cold weather, my knees feel not enough different that I can tell between the chill and heat.
 
That wish for more winter did not work. Our local ski area closed today....one of the earliest on record. It was brushing 70 degrees in the valley this weekend. I planted potatoes and cabbage.

But, I did hit the hills for the first time in 2015 about 5 days ago. A nice hike of 11.5 miles @4mph and lots of climb (2,000'+). I planned to go again this weekend, but family plans nixed this. Spring break is 5+ days away.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@RedRider

Not as much as I'd hoped for...family stuff, but I'm heading out around noon for a hike in the hills. Probably a 3 hour loop.

Edit: Back home after a bit longer hike...a tad over 4 hours and close to 15 miles. I did a couple trail sections that I had not done since 1998. They were the upper sections of my favorite training loop in the early-mid 1990s. I forgot how freaking steep they were. Most of the Boise foothills now extensive trail system is cut (graded) as such for mountain biking, and while challenging, most sections are not too steep for too long. However, there are sections up higher that have their origins in old ranch roads and motorcycle trails. The last section I climbed was longer and steeper than I recalled, but the descent down a section I used to run up with pace on brisk training runs was really tough. It was so steep and slippery in places that I had to skirt the trail in the brush despite having poles (to get descent footing and control). My knees feel great. I just will try to make sure my descents take a less steep routes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
17 days until summer vacation for this teacher. I've had a good year in the gym, but work has been busy and I just have not made it to the trails much. I'm looking forward to time off and lots of hiking this summer. Snowpack is already like late June except in the alpine zone so as soon as school is out, I plan to make up for some lost time.

Both knees feel great and I can't wait to hit the Sawtooth Mountains.
 
sounds wonderful. we are so dry right now---my garden is almost like dust. I am worried about fire season, so hiking right away sounds good.
 
Gym again today (Sunday). I should have been in the hills, but 6 miles on the treadmill up at mostly 12.5-15.0 incline at 4.6- mph avg. followed by some rowing and lifting. Nice 2 hours, but still can't wait for high country hiking.
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom