TKR Trailspud Recovery thread

Hitting the gym is like having 4wd:
It'll help get you farther into the backcountry.
 
2+ weeks into summer vacation. Left knee is just over 2 years old and right knee headed towards 3. Both feel great. Lots of 60-90 mt. walks on the flats or uphill on the gym treadmill, plus elliptical and some cycling in June, but just one 12 mile hike in the hills.

It is amazing how well my knees function compared to before not to mention a lack of pain. A successful TKR, or two, is a godsend.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you continue to check in. We need to read lots of great recovery stories to keep us working smart to get to where we want to be.
 
Wow awesome recovery. I can't wait. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Thanks and best wishes @Angel1978 and @KYata

Happy Father's Day Eve to the dads. 10:10 pm MST sitting on the porch in the dusk. I love summer nights. Perfect Idaho weather (75 now down to a nice 55 overnight and low 90s on Monday) although forecasts of 109F in the valley later in the week. Might be time to escape to the Oregon Coast :).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The long summer weather continues here at mid-latitude Southern Idaho. I'm hoping for a real winter, but not yet. Fall is my favorite season.

I didn't do any 20-30 mile hikes as planned this summer, but I did some 4+ hour hikes (16-17 miles) and kept busy in the gym. I did, however, recently start to do some running beyond hill repeats. I just back from a 3.5 mile run wrapped into 6 miles w/walking to warm up/cool down. It was very easy albeit slow (10m/m) and I could go longer. I'm just going to treat myself to one run every week and keep it to around what I did today until such time I can get my weight below 180. Then I may go longer.

Cheers to all especially my old BoneSmart friends. Like many, I'm not on this forum so much, but do check in from time to time.
 
I hear ya @trailspud, I'm looking to do some jogging but gotta get under 180 as well.

You ready to dust off the snowshoes? I'm crossing my fingers for record snow in the Sierra Nevada's this winter!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you are a little heavier than you would like---remember that extra pounds are extra pressure on your joints. Before I would run I would 1. make sure that my legs were really strong and the muscles were supporting the joint and 2. make sure that I was not overweight---extra pounds provide lots of extra pressure on the joint.

In the meantime, you can put on a bouancy belt and "run" in the deep end of the pool---this is a trick I learned from a running website. and you can look into things like "ZERO Runner" machine. My gym has two of them and they do make you feel like you are running without the pounding on your joint.

Finally, if you MUST run then try the old Boy Scout trick--of 50 paces, then run 50 paces, the walk 50 paces etc, etc.
 
Hi trailspud,

I've been following your story for quite awhile - even before I joined the group. I'm an active guy too and it's great to see you overcome your challenges. I'll definitely run post TKR so now you've really got me interested :)

cheers - buster
 
@jbrooklyn

Hi Trailspud. I wish my friend jbrooklyn could read your thread, but she hasn't been on the forum lately. She was a longtime runner.

I myself love winter, Nordic skiing, curling, and snowshoeing, but I just got back on my bike 6 weeks ago after TKR and it is going to be hard to put it away for the season. Here's to some real snow this winter!!
 
It's my own fault my weight is too high. I love craft beer. I love food. I swear, I'm going to get it down next summer :).

I just treat myself to just one run per week. I ran 7 kilometers tonight (4.35m) in the middle of a 7 mile run/walk. I run only on softer surfaces (cinder track or dirt ditch bank) and wearing super cushioned shoes (36 mm stack height). If I do finally get that weight down, I may go to two per week.

Thanks to @Wanttobebiking , @Buster , @RedRider :
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jbrooklyn

Hi Trailspud. I wish my friend jbrooklyn could read your thread, but she hasn't been on the forum lately. She was a longtime runner.

I myself love winter, Nordic skiing, curling, and snowshoeing, but I just got back on my bike 6 weeks ago after TKR and it is going to be hard to put it away for the season. Here's to some real snow this winter!!

I'm thinking of going the fat snow bike route. I've given up cycling for the last two years and maybe those huge-tired bikes might get me back.
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom