Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

What a relief! You can go back to three days and that gives you 4 off! :yay: I predict Rusty will be a happy camper!
 
I'm so glad the third nurse is back, Marian. You've carried more than your share of the responsibility and hours of work while she's been off.

I hope that she'll be as willing to cover for you when you get Rusty fixed.
 
Hi Marian,
Oh how I remember those nights after a long work day and I could not get comfortable and sleep eluded me, my knee hurt like the dickens too (this was all before my TKR) I found that applying one of those Salonpas pain relieving patches right before bed time sometimes did the trick.
My dog (55 lb. Lab) was also in bed with me most of the time...she recently passed away and I miss her everyday.:sad:
I hope you find some relief for Rusty :yes:
 
Such good news with being able to cut back to 3d/wk at work! I hope that gives you some relief! Praying for your decision on the timing of your next TKR.
 
I went to my regular doctor yesterday because I had pain in my left hand. He did some x-rays and I've been diagnosed with arthritis. He suggested I use a brace for carpal tunnel to help with the pain. I guess I'll go pick one up tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully using it when I'm off I will feel a little bit better. Is there such a thing as systemic arthritis? :rotfl:
 
Marian, I have arthritis in almost all my joints - except my hips so far, thank goodness. So I guess systemic arthritis is possible.
My spine, neck, one shoulder, one elbow, both wrists and hands, both ankles and feet are all affected.
 
Hi Marian, I haven't been here much lately, just wanted to say I think about you and "Rusty" frequently.

I've been having some random arthritis joint flares since surgery, too -- I like your term "systemic arthritis". I spoke with OS about it and he says it is not uncommon to have these flares after the surgeries we've been thru. He also emphasized the importance of minimizing "non-essential stressors" as much as possible to decrease elevated cortisol and prostaglandin levels that often occur with those. I've found mediation and seeing a psych doc helpful (I never thought I'd be seeing a psychiatrist for my joints).

I hope your arthritis flares diminish and that soon "Rusty" will get the care she deserves.
 
Hi Marian, I have missed talking with you and wanted to post a quick message. I hope Rusty is behaving. I also have arthritis in both my thumbs as well as hip and knees. Right now I am a caregiver for a THR friend. I am receiving lots of support from friends for both my caregiving and TKR. I hope that you do well in the future.

Amy Jo aka FloridaGal
 
Hi @sheliac! Nice to hear from you again. Overall my bionic knee is doing very well. I find when I stand still I have all my weight on it. That is something I haven't done in decades. I've been considering trying to see an ortho doc for my left hand/wrist. I started wearing a brace when not working. I see both a psychologist and psychiatrist routinely since I am prone to depression. I have learned a lot on being able to relax and handle day to day stressor and they were big helps to me especially in the time after my TKR but before my revision.

I'm now coming up on to 8 months post op. I can't believe it's been that long. I still get swelling every day and should be using ice but sometimes I've been so tired I just too lazy. I can usually go up and down the stairs foot over foot but I still hold the banister. I haven't tried to carry many things up the stairs to my bedroom and bathroom. My major problem is that I still can't sleep in my bed. This has been going on for far too long. It's been 16 months all together. I can't get comfortable all day just toss all did turn. The reason initially was my bionic knee but now it's Rusty. Good thing my recliner was new when I started this journey. I have a rather large area that feels numb but it's much better than when it felt like a sunburn.

I'm very happy that I had my knee done and can't wait to get a matched set even though if took 2 times . Get this one right.!
 
:wave:@Floridagal . It's nice to go hear from you too! I hope your friend has a quick recovery. Make sure that you are taking care of yourself so that you can continue to help him.
 
Hi Marian, just thought I'd pop in and see how you are getting on. I'm sorry to hear about your other aches and pains, I can certainly relate to that, and I know how it can wear you down mentally. I'm having counselling now and so far it's going well. One of the most helpful things though, is connecting with people going through the same thing and the friends I've made here have made such a difference. I don't know where I would be without them. I'm the same with the sleeping too, I bought a new adjustable bed, but I can't get comfy in it and toss and turn all night. I think the mattress is too soft, though it's supposed to be firm. I've got the horrible feeling I've made a very expensive mistake. Moral of the story is, don't make any big purchases just after major surgery!
Hope everything will go right first time for your other knee.
Tabby xxx
 
Hi Marian, I think there must be systemic arthritis, and some folks with autoimmune conditions have a systemic kind I've been told. I had carpal tunnel a number of years ago and do have some hand arthritis, too, and am interested to hear those salon-as things work for some. I love the idea of a heated wrap, though! That would make icing after work do-able! Your work sounds really tough for someone with new parts, too. But, I can relate as I'm on my feet a lot too. Interestingly, my granddaughter has a just 5vyear old friend who moved here from the Poconos this summer, and her mom is a PA that worked for a large medical company back there before the move. T'is a small world! Take care and will check in to see how you're doing from time to time...
 
I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time. It seems like the old knee wants attention after the new knee got it all! I am trying to fight getting a shot in mine, but will have to give in sooner or later. If I do more than normal both knees will yell at me. With you on your feet all day for many more hours than are normal yours are bound to be pitching a fit. I pray your Rusty settles down!
 
8 months out !!! Overall I'm very happy with my knee. Eight months post the original TKR I had mr revision. I remember how much pain I was in then and how fortunate it was for me to basically accidently find the OS who did my revision. That ortho group was recommended by someone who had a wrist injury!

The negatives are few. I still get swelling and tightness with only an occasional pain when I ask too much from it. I probably should ice it more often but I'm just too lazy at times. I have a fairly large area of numbness but that's where it felt like a sunburn so I'll take numb any day.

The positives are too many to list. It has become my strong knee. When I'm standing still I find my self putting all my weight on it. For over 40+ years it was the other way around so this is a big change. I have a very slight limp because I can't fully straighten my leg yet but it's slowly getting better. I don't remember a time when it was straight. Those are the main plusses.

So where do I go from here? Well my former good knee(Rusty) has been complaining most days. It aches and I get some major pains at times. I recently had a cortisone injection with little help. I've had them and other types of injections on and off for a few years now. I want to get this one done too but I don't know when I can because of job and family responsibilities. I'm hoping in the spring but I'm not sure. My OS told me I would do much better with this knee since it's the first time you replace that knee that makes the most difference. I've done much better after my revision than he had thought I would.
 
Great 8 month report, Marian! I'm hoping Rusty settles down as your work schedule gets back to normal.
 
I had the day off today and just did a couple of minor chores around the house. As I was sitting participating in one of my favorite past times (posting on Bonesmart) I bent Rusty and I immediately hit 10 on the pain scale. It became stuck at about 60 degrees for a couple of seconds until I was able to straightened it out with a loud crack.
Fortunately the pain went away but I've been limping since then. I just went upstairs to get ready for bed and I could only go up one step at a time leading with my now good leg. It really felt very weird to me because the bionic knee was injured for over 40 years and was never right since my 18th birthday. I've been doing a lot of thinking of what would be best for me to do. I have an appointment with my OS on January 18th. I'm thinking that I will have a discussion with him about how quickly I could start driving again after I have surgery. My youngest who is a CPA would like me to wait until after April 15th so that she could be around to help me. The OS was right on about my recovery from my revision. I then will have a talk with my boss and I'll try to get back to work sooner than before but since I have PTO this time I can use that time and date work just a few half days a week for almost a month.

So I guess I'll try to schedule with him that day. I might be a little different than most people but I can't wait to have it done and move on with my life!
 
I understand completely. While I am not looking forward to the pain of the first few weeks, I am ready to get my second knee done, so I can have it behind me and get on with my life!
 
Miriam, that pain sounds awful. I hope you can get Rusty changed out really quickly so you can get on with your living.
 
Marian, I haven't been able to use my left leg for stairs in years. But I'm not ready for another surgery. Guess that's what an infection will do.
 
Your 8 month report is great!!!:happydance: I hope "Rusty" will settle down some for you with the busy Holiday season coming. I pray for wisdom in the timing of your second TKR~so many factors to consider. Take care!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom