Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Marian, take KarriB up on her offer and get Rusty fixed! You give so much to others, now do something for yourself!
 
I will have a long discussion with My OS on Thursday. Rusty just aches and aches throughout the whole knee all the way around even on a day like today when I'm not working at all. Occasionally I get a very sharp pain and a loud crack in it from the front. It's affecting my ability to fall asleep at night. Tylenol doesn't seem to help it at all. Fortunately my bionic knee only has mild pain and tightness. It is the strongest one and I find my self standing with all my weight on that knee.

I'm not worried about being alone at home after surgery. My main concern is not being able to drive since this will be my right knee. I live in a rural area and need to drive everywhere. I have to go to the post office to get my mail. I started driving 2 weeks out after my first 2 surgeries and I can't fathom being stuck here in my house for longer than that. My OS is an hour away. I don't belong to a church. (Never found one since I moved from NJ), and have no neighbors I can count on. My best friend lives 20 miles away and is without a car. I can't even walk outside because my driveway isn't paved and the back of my house is woods.
 
Do you have Uber where you live? I bet you do, even in a rural area. They are relatively inexpensive - I pay $3 to go the 10 miles to PT. if you download the Uber app or google Uber to your address you can see. Now you can even schedule pick up times. I started driving at 3 weeks with right knee. Using Uber to get your mail, to pharmacy, etc might be the answer for the first few weeks. The trip to OS would be expensive but if you don't have follow up appointment til 1 month you could probably drive by then.




Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
@sheliac I checked using the Uber app and IF I could get one it would cost me $40 each way to my grocery store which is also the pharmacy! My daughter tried to use one up here a couple of weeks go for a Bachelorette party and almost would do up calling me instead. I can't even get any thing delivered to my home.
 
I am so sorry. It must be cheaper in more urban areas. I have not used it in my mountain home - glad for the heads up. I thought the fares were standardized.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I agree with Marian. I looked them up and priced them for my area, too. Since I'm about 20 miles from the nearest Walmart, which is also my drugstore, the cost was outrageous. I was and am blessed with wonderful friends that are more than willing to help me. I so wish you had someone you could count on, Marian. You give to so many and now you need some of that TLC back. I wish I could physically help. But, I can pray for you!
 
I'm back from my OS visit about Rusty. I told him that it was aching every night making it difficult to sleep and occasionally gets 'stuck' in a position until I force it to bend and straighten. He told me that the only thing that would fix ypthat was to replace it. He thought I was hesitant because I had a bad experience with the bionic knee having to have a revision so soon. I told him that I trusted him completely. He said that this TKR would be much easier than the revision and I guess I find it hard to believe because my recovery seemed to go very smoothly and quickly. Since I can't do the TKR right now he gave me a cortisone injection. This one really, really hurt. It was like he hit a nerve and I let out a yelp and moved my knee. It's sore and achy now but I'm home and will take it easy today. He suggests that I have the surgery by the spring time.

I told my OS that my original 'idiot' surgeon now has a branch of the office within walking distance to my home. My OS told me to take some of his business cards so the patients would know who to go to when the guy screws up other knees or hips. :rotfl:

I had my 1 year review at work yesterday even though I was out for 3 months of the year. It was okay and I had a discussion with my boss about some teammates and their inability to work together. I'll be 62 in less than 2 weeks I told him that at times it feels like kindergarten to me. While he rated me high in integrity, nursing ability and team work I was told I was too blunt with some of the 'children in the sandbox'. (His words not mine). I was a bit confused because I am never negative in any way. The other nurse who is there now is very young and never says anything at all. Medically everyone there is working under my RN license so if I need to speak up about something I really need to be blunt. I guess I'm still confused about that point.
 
Good for you for being blunt. When people's health is in question it is the only way to go. I think the "children in the sandbox" need to grow up. It is your license and they need to abide by your standards. I hope the cortisone shot helps Rusty. It is a shame you have to wait so long.
 
Keep doing it the way you are, Marian. It's your licence, so you have the right (and the duty) to make sure things are done properly. I suspect that one of the "children" complained.
 
Oh, what babies, those new workers are. I can't see you being unkind to anyone. They probably just don't want to work. It seems that way with the younger generation coming up. We spoiled our children and grand children and now they want things handed to them! Keep up with what you know if right. It's the patient that counts, not those children!
 
Yes, keep on being you. Remember the supervisor had to put something in the "growth area" box. She was reaching to find something, I'd guess. Isn't she a social worker? I'd take it as a compliment. Being firm with kids in a Sandbox prevents sand getting in everybody's eyes.

I hope the cortisone injection gives you good relief.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I'm not sure there's an appropriate or pc way to say this, but I found the character, work ethic and integrity of the 20 somethings to be very different than mine or those I'd been working with for the past 20 years. I also was surprised at how it seemed to rub off on others. It was truly appalling and just one of the reasons I decided to retire, hard work is no longer valued by some. So, I totally understand what you're saying, Marian, especially how you want the level of care to be what you value as it's a reflection on you.
 
I would also guess that your manager is not a nurse? These non-nurse managers have no clue and don't understand the things you must communicate to the nurses under you about safety and care. I felt, too, in my last job that the new, young nurses were a different breed of nurse, and were not open to learning or guidance from experienced older nurses. Their attitude was that they knew everything.
So take the comments with a grain of salt. You are in charge, nursing wise, and if things need to be communicated, well that's your job. I'm sure that you do it fine, too.
 
I think that, considering what you and your knees have been through in the past year, your assessment should have been "Excellent+++++".

I do hope that you can work out some way of getting Rusty fixed soon.
 
Usually when I'm working there is No other nurse in the building. I am fully in charge of making medical decisions. So everyone in the building that is working with the patients are not licensed. If they make a mistake ultimately it's my problem. That's why I feel I must be blunt and to the point. The techs can't leave the treatment floor for a break or lunch without checking with me first. They have to ask to go the bath room too. My boss is a social worker by training. The major problems with some of the staff seems to be from the ones that are 40 to 50 years old!!

I think what I'll do is to keep my next appointment in 3 months with my OS and then I'll set up a date in the spring to get Rusty taken care of. I'm going to talk it over with my daughters next weekend when I see them for my birthday. I'm hoping I'll be able to go back to work before 12 weeks but since I now have more PTO hours I can go back part time and supplement my hours with them. My OS has told me that this operation will be much simpler than the revision. This knee doesn't have the same 40 year history of problems. My leg is fairly straight too.
 
Good plan, Marian, except for wanting to go back to work before 12 weeks. With the long shifts that you do, I think 12 weeks should be the absolute minimum, even if you do start with part-time.

Your boss being a social worker explains a lot.
He/she is putting a lot of responsibility for the running of a medical facility on your shoulders. The buck would stop with you if anything went wrong - and your boss needs to understand that is why you have to insist on things being done properly, even if some of the staff complain that you aren't being nicey-nicey and touchy-feely. A group hug won't cure technical faults in procedure.

Do you remember the days when we all lived in fear of the old-fashioned Ward Sister? Things got done properly under her - or else!
 
How did the shot do for you? I know last time you said it didn't do much of anything. Hopefully, it did this time. I'm surprised you're having problems with someone in that age group. Maybe since they are your peers, they don't want you to tell them what to do. I can't imagine the responsibility you have. I'd be a basket case!
 
Rusty is still achy today. I've been sitting still for anow hour or two with both legs slightly elevated and he is complaining too much for me. I only work 8 hours on my feet and another at a desk. I've got to be back in tomorrow at 6am. I'm going to get a nice warm shower and find some nice comfy pj's and snuggle up for a few hours sleep. At least I have off sunday!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom