Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

I was walking quickly in the parking lot of the grocery store and decided to take a few running steps just to see what it would feel like. I took about 4 steps. No pain in my new knee!!!! I felt like the old to series the 6 million dollar man! I tried it a second time and went about 10 steps. The right (Rusty) wasn't that happy too but handled it too. Let me assure everyone here I never was a runner but loved playing tennis and basketball. It gives me hood that I'll be able to get some fun times back into my life. First Rusty has to go, then losing some weight and after that he future seems unlimited.
 
That's terrific news, Marian! :yes!: :happydance: :yay:

It's good to know you can run, but save the running for emergencies.
 
:dead:I called off work today. I have a sore throat, cough, mild fever and overall feeling pretty sick all over. I want to thank all my paytients who cough in my face without covering their mouths especially while I'm assessing them and I'm within stethoscope distance. So since I'm off today my next day of work is Tuesday. I hope I feel better by then. I'm thinking that I should wear a surgical mask when km anywhere near them.
 
Ha! I thought kids were the only ones who did that anymore! A few years ago there was a major flu warning (I can't remember the name), but our school nurse made a huge effort to get into the habit of using their arm/elbow for coughing/sneezing. It was wonderful and lasted a few years. Then no one covered anything! I hope you feel better soon. Do you have any chicken soup?
 
That stuff is going around all over the country. It's here in Virginia, too. I had my flu shot early and hope I'm protected from it. I hope you feel better really quickly.
 
I came back to life last evening and back to work at 6am to 5pm today. Immediately walked into a computer/terminal mess caused by yesterday's nurse who has told the boss there was a problem but she fixed it. Of course she didn't. She's not the brightest crayon in the box but thinks she is. So this was slowing up getting patients started with their dialysis. I was also short one tech but I was fortunate another tech jumped over to give me a hand. Then someone shows up to announce she was a student nurse which I had no idea was coming and now had no time to explain things to her at all. Fortunately she is an RN going for her BSN so she asked me and the other girls questions and observed the unit. I didn't have a break for 8 hours at which time I definitely needed to eat something. The last patient there felt dizzy after her treatment. The tech was giving her extra fluids. Her husband walked in and yelled to me asking if I was a nurse. He was upset that her tongue was blue. She had forgotten she was eating blue candy! :nah: I am not making this up! Finally 40 minutes later she felt up to leaving.

:banghead:Then back to my computer to try to straighten up the records. Did my best. My boss was at another facility and text me how it was going. He won't ask me that question again:heehee: Our Administrative assistant will make sure this is addressed with the nurse who made the error. She continues to do something to cause a problem every day. It does get frustrating.

So out to my car after work and of course
:snow dig: and drove home the 35 miles in snow and sleet. A perfect ending to another day. Sitting with my puppies and posting on BS. Time to turn on my gas fireplace!
 
Ahhhh, Marian! What a day! A night in front of the fireplace sounds like just what you need. I'm turning mine on now along with the tv. I love the show This Is Us! Hopefully you're off tomorrow?
 
I was walking quickly in the parking lot of the grocery store and decided to take a few running steps just to see what it would feel like. I took about 4 steps. No pain in my new knee!!!! I felt like the old to series the 6 million dollar man! I tried it a second time and went about 10 steps. The right (Rusty) wasn't that happy too but handled it too. Let me assure everyone here I never was a runner but loved playing tennis and basketball. It gives me hood that I'll be able to get some fun times back into my life. First Rusty has to go, then losing some weight and after that he future seems unlimited.
What a wonderful feeling, congratulations!!! After recovering both knees I recently decided to try running. Unfortunately I had not been able to run for so long that my brain and legs "forgot" how. :what: I kept at it and was finally able to run a very short distance on a trail. Like you I was thrilled! To celebrate I bought myself a fancy gps watch to track my progress. Then I came down with that bad cold, which went right to my lungs. Progress stalled. :sigh:
 
Wow, Marian, what a day you had at work! I hope your pups gave you a nice, long cuddle when you got home.
 
Hi Marian. How are you liking the cementless implant? That's what I will have in a few weeks. My OS said, the only downfall to a porous implant is that I will ache a bit longer. He said 6-8 months. I know we are all different, but did you find that? I don't plan on running anywhere, but it was good to hear you say you could and did! Have a good even
 
@jaschembra I did very well with the cement less implant. My OS told me after my revision I would have some extra post op pain mostly do to having to get the old implant out and having a longer stem placed into the bones. I found that after a a couple of weeks most of my pain was from spasm of my quads and took a muscle relaxer for that. According to Josephine she told me it would take about 12 weeks or so for the bone to foam a strong bond. I followed the BS mantras to the letter. I only did bike ride, heel slides and stretches and refused any other exercises. It's very strong now and I find myself having all my weight on that leg when standing. This is a first for over 40 years!
 
I only slept one hour last night before getting up at 415 am for a 10 hour work day. My Yorkie was up coughing all night long which is caused by a collapsing trachea. She is usually ok but last night she couldn't settle down at all. So I was up all night with her making today a very long day.

On top of that I finally had it out with a co-worker. This is the third nurse who was out for three months. She's the type that can do no wrong, can mouth off about anyone else but when called out for her behaviour blames everyone else. Fortunately it was in my boss's office and out of the patient area. It is very rare I raise my voice but I did today. My co-workers for the most part don't care for her either and they knew that she had been causing problems for a while. I think some of them were taking bets how long it twould take for me to have it out with her. I did apologize to my boss. This same women had a yelling contest with the most senior nurse at the time only 2 weeks after she started working there. At the end of the day I then had an appointment with my psychiatrist. She was actually surprised I finally said something to that nurse and her question to me was why did it take me that long? :rotfl:
 
Well done, Marian! :thumb: :yes!:
You've been carrying more than your share at that place for ages now.

I hope that your frank "discussion" has some effect on that person, but it probably won't, unfortunately.

I hope your little Yorkie feels better tonight. We had a golden retriever whose trachea used to collapse. When it got so bad that she started to get cyanosed, we had to let her go. Too distressing for her and us.
 
9 month reportb (a few days early)
Positives:
Stairs up and down without a problem except after a long day.
I can walk up and down inclines and rough terrain.
Most days at work I'm standing mainly with all my weight on the bionic knee. I haven't done that for over 40 years
No real pain, a little ache once in a while but it's very fleeting.

Negatives
My knee and lower leg still swells by the end of my day. (Annoying at this point)
My old knee (Rusty) aches and gives me jolts of pain. Occasionally it locks for a little while. Sometimes it feels ok.
The lower part of that leg and back of the knee has aches and pains. All of that keeps me awake some nights.

Conclusion
I am glad I had it done even after having to have a total revision 8 months after the original surgery.
Would I want to get my other knee done? YES!! I would do it tomorrow if I could. I'm still thinking end of April
and going back to work part time a bit earlier than 12 weeks. I will have some PTO left so I could really start
slowly. I think my boss would go along with that. My biggest concern is that I will need to drive ASAP post
op. Every road around here has a 45mph or greater speed limit. I plan to talk with
my OS in January.
 
I wish everyone one a Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays to those who celebrate other holidays at this time of the year. I count all of you as part of my extended family.
 
I had what I like to call a Murphy's law day. Murphy's law states that whatever can go wrong, will. I woke up a little bit later than I wanted to to get to work at 6am. One of my dogs took off on me and finally came back. Then my car wouldn't start! Its a 2015 model year car. It has had all the services that have been scheduled for it.
AAA said they couldn't get to me for 2 hours. I kept trying to sta rt it and eventually it did start. I drove down to work like I was in a car race. I got there 45 minutes late. We started getting everyone hooked up to the dialyisis machines. At a break I realized that I had lost one of the brand new earrings my sister just gave me. I had no idea where my phone was either. I also didn't know if I even put my wallet in my car or left it home. After the other nurse came in I went out to my car and found my phone was there but dead. I grabbed some lunch. My car then indicated it was out of gas so I filled it up. By the time I was ready to leave we were getting freezing rain. I made it home. My phone is charging and I found my lost earring, just the backing is missing. My old knee is hurting me today causing me to limp. I'm home in my pajamas now after having some left over dinner from last night. I have no where to go but up after today! I'm off tomorrow. I think I'll start packing for my cruise. I leave Jan 7th. :yahoo:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom